Notices

Studded tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Studded tires

They were all the rage in the Sixties but were very rough on the roads and got banned. Today I saw a Volvo in Huntsville that has studded tires and wondered if the law has changed again allowing them. Up here they are a good idea and with hills on my road an excellent idea.

EDIT , Never mind. The answer is yes in North Ontario which begins in the District of Parry Sound, and for those residing West of Algonquin Park.

Last edited by JimV8; 10-20-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

"In Ontario, studded winter tires are permitted between September 1st and May 31st for drivers in northern Ontario, which includes as Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming. Below these areas, the use of studded tires could incur a fine."
Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I seem to remember the postal code line being in the middle of Huntsville.
North yes, south no.
I remember my dad running studded snow tires on the back of his American wagons.
Back tires only. I consider myself lucky to be alive.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:06 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

i tried studded tires for a season with a q7.... I recall a super loud drone like a wheel bearing was going out when travelling above 60kph.... Got rid of them the next winter.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
North yes, south no.
I remember my dad running studded snow tires on the back of his American wagons.
Much like claws for tires. Great for snow packed roads, not so great on bare pavement. I have an appointment next Tuesday with the local tire craft store and I’ll raise the questions.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
North yes, south no.
LOL! Yeah, my Dad too. In the heart of the Kawartha's in mid winter, when we used to get REAL snow - bombing along on snow pack in a Galaxie 500 with snows and stud's on the back only. Jesus... Of course the concept of high speed under-steer wasn't discovered until sometime in the late 70's and well after I put my Mustang in and out of a ditch at 80 something and was somehow after that (no skill involved) staring through wide open eyes still going straight down the road, still at 80... Next day I had snows on the front. Thanks for THAT lesson Dad. Forget about birds and the bees son - lets talk about snow tires... LOL
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
LOL! Yeah, my Dad too. In the heart of the Kawartha's in mid winter, when we used to get REAL snow - bombing along on snow pack in a Galaxie 500 with snows and stud's on the back only. Jesus... Of course the concept of high speed under-steer wasn't discovered until sometime in the late 70's and well after I put my Mustang in and out of a ditch at 80 something and was somehow after that (no skill involved) staring through wide open eyes still going straight down the road, still at 80... Next day I had snows on the front. Thanks for THAT lesson Dad. Forget about birds and the bees son - lets talk about snow tires... LOL

I'm in the wrong postal code to be legal. But I would love to try them on hard snow pack in my STi.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I miss my Skidoo

Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Intesting thing up. Many trails cross roads and the crossings are grooved out by the track studs

Quick Reply: Studded tires