Garage lifts that drop to basement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Garage lifts that drop to basement

Hi Guys,

I’m planning a new 2 car garage with a laneway suite above it.

Due to the height restrictions on laneway suites, I don’t believe I can fit a lift as it will likely render the apartment above too short.

So, I’m considering building a foundation rather than just a slab and putting a lift that would drop a car into the basement.

Has anyone installed one or looked into it?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Some serious engineering I would think. Pretty thick base pad and walls for collapse prevention.
Power is easy. Water drainage would be another thing.
I wouldn't even consider it if your in lower old Toronto what with all the water main breaks and general flooding.
I would imagine code would require drainage be installed other wise, you run the risk of having a pretty expensive aquarium.

https://www.vasari-lifts.com/parking...r-garage-lift/
https://aclifts.com/products-2/autom...parking-lifts/
http://www.cardok.com/en/our-product...lti-prestige-2
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
Due to the height restrictions on laneway suites, I don’t believe I can fit a lift as it will likely render the apartment above too short.
I guess you have seen the guidelines. Where can did you find them? Or is this based on the height restrictions of your zoning?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Yes, I’ve been following the topic since the intital public meetings a year or two ago as I’m a Realtor and own a property where I want to add one.

Here is the city’s site with links: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governme...ites/overview/

height for laneway suites is 6m.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Some of the “painted ladies” on lakeshore across from the beach have lifts that move the car down below ground level leaving space for a car on top. The space below is closed such that there is no storage aside from the car so it’s not like you’re exiting the car into your basement or driving around underground, but it did allow the builder to have 2 car garages with a single car footprint. Maybe something about them will be helpful?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Some of the “painted ladies” on lakeshore across from the beach have lifts that move the car down below ground level leaving space for a car on top. The space below is closed such that there is no storage aside from the car so it’s not like you’re exiting the car into your basement or driving around underground, but it did allow the builder to have 2 car garages with a single car footprint. Maybe something about them will be helpful?
You’re right - they all did! My clients are in one.

I’m looking for a nicer system than what they have. One where when in its bottom position, the top is matched to the surface of the garage floor.

A client built a big place on Neville with one. I’ll ask him.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:30 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

watching with interest
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

pretty straight forward. be built as regular foundation, 20" footing, poured or 10"block filled/doweled. reg floor. the pain would be getting the drain to run. how deep is the main under house? and where or is there a water table there. the painted ladies lifts are pretty crude . nicer options now. but in saying that, they managed it there and the water table in that whole place is nuts, thats why like every fence has a few heaved posts.... weve done lots in there, you can litterly dig in any yard there and 2ft down the hole will fill with water.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Ask Phil Triggiani. Mrtrig on Instagram. He has a garage under his driveway and a lift from above ground garage to below. Somewhere in GTA.

Watch the related Schmee video.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

There's an older property in Oakville with this - it was on the MLS about a year ago when we were looking. Single car garage from the front of the house, drive in onto the lift and it dropped you into the basement. Basically the whole basement was garage, space for 4 cars but looked like a sharp turn to get onto the lift.

We didn't look at the house because it wasn't in the right area for us but interesting to have a nosey at on MLS....
Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

There’s a house in North Toronto (Hogs Hollow) that had the back yard excavated away and a garage built, 6 cars anyway as I recall. Access is via an unassuming single car garage where the floor lowers to the basement, very James Bondish. Access to the garage is through the basement just past a huge aquarium. The back yard was rebuilt over the garage and is very nice. The whole thing is very nice and very tastefully done. I can’t imagine the cost though.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimV8
There’s a house in North Toronto (Hogs Hollow) that had the back yard excavated away and a garage built, 6 cars anyway as I recall. Access is via an unassuming single car garage where the floor lowers to the basement, very James Bondish. Access to the garage is through the basement just past a huge aquarium. The back yard was rebuilt over the garage and is very nice. The whole thing is very nice and very tastefully done. I can’t imagine the cost though.
I’ve always talked about this if we ever build a home. But too extreme for my rental - or is it? 🤓
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Our cottage neighbor had a similar setup to this in Bloor West, since downsized and is building a garage at the cottage.

Quick Reply: Garage lifts that drop to basement