Question: US Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:43 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Question: US Insurance

Hi Rennlisters,

I know a few members here are dual citizens, or actively working in the US.

I am looking to purchase a Porsche in the US to be kept at a family member's house that will be driven year round. Does anybody know where or how I can purchase insurance for the vehicle as a Canadian? I am not a US citizen or resident, and not working there. I am simply looking to have a vehicle for when I am in the US, and I do go to the US regularly. For reference, vehicle will be in Southern California. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Have you tried calling a Canadian insurer? I know RBC asks how long the car will be in the US (think snowbirds). Now I don't know if that will disqualify you or simply mean a higher premium.

What about having the US family member get insurance? Can they list you as a driver, does that even matter?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I don't have experience but would think you just call geiko or whatever in the US and get a quote, you may need to provide your drivers abstract from MTO. Which model are you considering?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

No Canadian insurance company can do this. We use Progressive for our US vehicles. Just make sure you claim and verify all the different discounts offered.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SToronto
Have you tried calling a Canadian insurer? I know RBC asks how long the car will be in the US (think snowbirds). Now I don't know if that will disqualify you or simply mean a higher premium.

What about having the US family member get insurance? Can they list you as a driver, does that even matter?
Yes, I did. I called Intact, TD, and the usual suspects They politely told me to pound sand.

It's interesting you mention that - They did offer doing that for me, but haven't gotten around it. More so, I thought about it a bit more and felt that I would be a liability by being added to their insurance policy. I don't want to put any family members in a difficult situation. Hope that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I don't have experience but would think you just call geiko or whatever in the US and get a quote, you may need to provide your drivers abstract from MTO. Which model are you considering?
I am considering a Boxster/Cayman, or 996/997.

Originally Posted by Jamie140
No Canadian insurance company can do this. We use Progressive for our US vehicles. Just make sure you claim and verify all the different discounts offered.
Thanks for this. I'll give Progressive a call. Anything specific I need to know prior to calling them?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
+1 on Progressive, was with Geico before. When I first tried to get insurance I had to provide proof of address, that was as easy as registering with the local Post Office, must be the same as vehicle registration.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:43 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
+1 on Progressive, was with Geico before. When I first tried to get insurance I had to provide proof of address, that was as easy as registering with the local Post Office, must be the same as vehicle registration.
How do you register with the local Post office and what does this entitle you to beside a local address?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:10 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Had some experience with this ... car was Ontario plated and was kept in Florida. To renew the plate, it required an e-test. Decided to convert to a Florida plate to avoid bringing the car back to Ontario. I don’t recall being asked for proof of residency when obtaining insurance; however, I believe it was a requirement to obtain the Fla plates. As stated, CDN insurers cannot insure vehicles plated outside Canada and it definitely was more expensive to insure the car in Florida compared to Ontario. My Boxster is Ontario plated and is currently in Fla (driven down last fall and total hip replacement this summer meant driving a manual would be out of the question for a bit so it was left there). It would be safe to assume a CDN insurer would cancel the policy if/ when they determine the vehicle is kept in the US permanently.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
How do you register with the local Post office and what does this entitle you to beside a local address?
Previously we had no mail delivery, they gave me a form to fill out, then mail started to arrive. An unexpected advantage was my property taxes were lowered, not sure how this happened, but the house was reclassified as primary residence, ... helps to pay the car insurance premium.

Quick Reply: Question: US Insurance