Notices

OT: Used SUV for wife... Fuel Economy/ luxury / almost luxury choices.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default OT: Used SUV for wife... Fuel Economy/ luxury / almost luxury choices.

We have a dieselgate 2011 Audi q7 TDI with the 3.0L Diesel it's currently got 222,000km on it. It is going to go back in the near future and we're getting a whackload of money for it.

It's my wife's car primarily, and the cottage bus. We put between 29,500-30,000 km on it in the past 52 weeks. That's a lot of km. We have historically gotten about 9.6L/100km over the 1st 100,000km we drove it...

Thinking about getting a 2015 q7 TDI to replace it with, but the dieselgate fix has people complaining on the webs about driveability issues.... We should be able to get a 2015 q7TDI with under 100,000km for between $37-42K.

Any other suggestions? Anyone driving a mid-large SUV?

Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 726 Posts

Just wanted to chime in on TDI issues post fix.

I have a Gen II 3.0 that had a software fix applied. I've noticed a reduced MPG, haven't measured precisely. I'm just going by range when tank is full vs what it used to be. I also notice a higher rev in the engine, primarily on first start and louder as a result. Not the greatest, if one didn't know different it may not stick out.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

We returned our 2013 TDI VW wagon in may. Ended up purchasing a Lexus NX300 F Sport. Been about 5 years since we owned a Japanese vehicle and so far we are very impressed with the dealer experience and the vehicle. Averaging about 9L / 100kms combined city highway.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by SToronto
Just wanted to chime in on TDI issues post fix.

I have a Gen II 3.0 that had a software fix applied. I've noticed a reduced MPG, haven't measured precisely. I'm just going by range when tank is full vs what it used to be. I also notice a higher rev in the engine, primarily on first start and louder as a result. Not the greatest, if one didn't know different it may not stick out.
Thanks,

I took a 2015 q7 tdi for a spin from the local audi dealership.... a little different in shifting patterns than our 11 q7 dirty diesel, but nothing super bad.....

my wife doesnt like black though.....
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Thanks,

I took a 2015 q7 tdi for a spin from the local audi dealership.... a little different in shifting patterns than our 11 q7 dirty diesel, but nothing super bad.....

my wife doesnt like black though.....
Once you go black......
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Petee_c, how was your experience up to the 200,000km mark? I'm also looking for a similar vehicle, likely Q5ish size and the diesel option is very tempting, but I worry about long term running cost issues, such as electronic gremlins, sensors, etc. I too do a fair amount of miles and keep my DD into the 200-300K mark. I just don't want to get into expensive running costs as I'm spoiled from my present Honda Ridgeline, which in 300,000kms hasn't even needed an alignment (brakes, tires and precautionary timing belts only). Any input form high mileage experiences would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:09 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Once you go black......
cleaning coffee off my work keyboard.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by JTT
Petee_c, how was your experience up to the 200,000km mark? I'm also looking for a similar vehicle, likely Q5ish size and the diesel option is very tempting, but I worry about long term running cost issues, such as electronic gremlins, sensors, etc. I too do a fair amount of miles and keep my DD into the 200-300K mark. I just don't want to get into expensive running costs as I'm spoiled from my present Honda Ridgeline, which in 300,000kms hasn't even needed an alignment (brakes, tires and precautionary timing belts only). Any input form high mileage experiences would be appreciated.
We are at almost 223000km now. We bought it used in Sept 2012 with around 32,000km on it. It came with a CPO warranty that we were able to use up to 160,000km which was around 3 yrs of service for us with our driving habits.

-expensive oil changes. 8+L at around $9/L and I shop around for oil deals. I change every 15,000km

-20L of adblue every 15,000km - I found a place that sells it for $13/10L

-both lower control arms up front were replaced under CPO warranty a few years back. These were expensive back then. $800 each for the part was charged to the CPO warranty. They failed within 6 months of each other. Back then, there were no aftermarket suppliers, but when I checked 6 months ago, there are at least 5 manufacturers (including TRW) of these cast alumninum bits. Price is now in the $250 range on rockauto.

- adblue system errors about 3-4 yrs ago... fixed under warranty. Dealership replaced some stuff.

- I've put on 1 set of pads and rotors on all 4 corners... the rears are getting down, but will last until we're done with the vehicle. Zimmerman rotors are probably in the $120 range. They are are big *** rotors.

- the q7 burns through tires... it weighs 5500lbs empty... I might get 50,000km from a set of tires. Currently running Toyo Open Country tires, that seem to be wearing well. Figure $1200-1500 for 4 tires if you shop around.

- rear wiper arm broke 6 months ago, probably from corrosion. Managed to fix it and works now. $0

- rear hatch is starting to act up.... 2 issues . sometimes it doesn't open with the keyfob, or with the handle , other times it wouldn't latch properly. I clean the latch with contact cleaner, wd40 and the blow gun from my compressor and the latching issue seems to have fixed itself.

- paint is bubbling at all 4 door handles... I have heard that Audi corrosion warranty likely will *NOT* cover this. I first noticed this about a yr ago.

- 1 wheel bearing was replaced at an indy. It was winter, and I was busy and the car would likely need to be on the lift for a few days if I DIY'd it.

- AFAIK, all the interior buttons and gizmos still work as intended. The rear pop out cupholders broke a few years back, found a part from my cousins in China on ebay for $30, been good since,

-A couple years ago, when it was in for a free "dieselgate" service, I was told that the serpentine belt that runs the accessories should be replaced , but it doesnt make any noise, and looks good. I have not replaced it and no issues so far.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 AM
petee_c
Drifting

anyone driving a late model Kia? The Kia Sorento is available with a leather interior and can squeeze 7 passengers in an emergency.....
Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I suggest looking at Lexus and Toyota. They seem to have a good product and low maintenance, and hold value better when used.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 381 Likes on 162 Posts

If I may suggest a North American vehicle we've had nothing but amazing luck with our Ford Explorer Sports. We are onto our 2nd and it too is used as my wife's business daily and cottage bus and since April we've put on 16,000kms so we too drive a ton.

Tow's like a champ (2 seadoos) as it has the F-150's ecoboost V6, is loaded with all the bells and whistles (ventilated seats, panorama sunroof, power everything, electronic aids galore - cameras everywhere, adaptive cruise, etc. etc.) and we have had literally 0 issues with either. Actually we are onto our 3rd Ford Explorer as we had the XLT first but found the smaller V6 crap for towing.

Might want to take a look...cheaper and just as good IMO. I'm quite impressed with Ford's quality on this model and the servicing is cheap.

Cam
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I suggest looking at Lexus and Toyota. They seem to have a good product and low maintenance, and hold value better when used.

that's why I don't want a Lexus or Toyota.....

I'm the guy buying used.... The more depreciation the better.... At this stage in life and for the next couple years with kids in rep sports, our accumulated mileage totals are pretty hefty... From September to March, between tournaments and away games (daughter's league goes from London - Oshawa) Son plays hockey in a 16 team league that covers Owen Sound down to Burlington, New Hamburg to Brampton, we are putting on a couple thousand km per month going to rinks.

Her: 30,000km /yr
My DD: 36,000km/yr - probably dropping to 30,000km/yr as I go into work 40 less days a year now.
Boxster : 7-10K km/yr
Motorcycle 2-3K km/yr
Old 09-06-2018, 12:33 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

newer TDi with a Malone tune
Old 09-06-2018, 02:07 PM
gc88
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

We are on our second Infiniti QX60. the CVT transmission doesn't make it the best vehicle from an engagement perspective - but it isn't that type of vehicle. We like that the third row is actually useful for adults when needed - and the mielage is pretty good - I think the CVT helps that out alot.

If you are looking on the used market - I think you can find some good deals.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:14 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Love our 17 Q7 3.0T. It was the nicest 3rd row car we drove - and we drove all of them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Used SUV for wife... Fuel Economy/ luxury / almost luxury choices.