Notices

Orders for a new GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 AM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Orders for a new GT4

Has anyone placed confirmed order for the new GT4 or, at least received precise and clear instruction how deposit process is handled. I guess it might be 20MY by the time new GT4 comes out.
Went to North Center Toronto. Being corporate dealer I was hoping at least I would get sime clear information.
My experience. What I got was pure and poor crap... like 5K deposit, we don't guarantee anything, we have more than enough deposits, we can't tell you how many deposits we have received nor we started accepting them, we don't know when the car is going to launch, it is not on a first come first served basis, it's limited production so there will be elimination process for those who paid deposit, no we don't have qualification rules (salesman stared at me like I had two heads when I asked him that), your money will not be earning interest in case you you are not gong to make cut (new teo-head stare), etc, etc....
Old 08-27-2018, 08:04 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemikson
Has anyone placed confirmed order for the new GT4 or, at least received precise and clear instruction how deposit process is handled. I guess it might be 20MY by the time new GT4 comes out.
Went to North Center Toronto. Being corporate dealer I was hoping at least I would get sime clear information.
My experience. What I got was pure and poor crap... like 5K deposit, we don't guarantee anything, we have more than enough deposits, we can't tell you how many deposits we have received nor we started accepting them, we don't know when the car is going to launch, it is not on a first come first served basis, it's limited production so there will be elimination process for those who paid deposit, no we don't have qualification rules (salesman stared at me like I had two heads when I asked him that), your money will not be earning interest in case you you are not gong to make cut (new teo-head stare), etc, etc....
Ohhhhh this must be your first experience trying to buy a Porsche GT car!

You can read stories like yours, and worse, all over the internet - this is the Porsche GT car game, and it's very different than buying any other car other than maybe Ferrari. Get treated like ****, beg the world's most profitable car manufacturer to take your hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then if you're lucky enough that your number gets called they sell you a car - but not without you agreeing to let them place a lien on the car, which stops you from being able to transfer the title to anyone other than them. PCNT was doing this with their 991.2 GT3 sales. Also note that Rennlist is a better source for new GT4 info than any Porsche dealer - they know nothing until they see something in their system pop up.

I have a deposit on the new GT4 with PCO and it's been in for ~ a year. They have many other deposits. I figure it's 50/50 whether my number is called. At least I wasn't treated like a dikbag like it sounds you were at PCNT. You may want to try smaller dealers outside the Toronto borders ie Oakville, Ottawa, London, etc...

Cheers and good luck.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I hate to say it but they are car dealers. They can't help it. They think they have something special so they abuse it, even the corporate store. Have you heard the old saying "treat them mean, keep them keen"?

I'd asked about the 600LT and was told those are limited so we are selling them to existing Mclaren clients. Same story from a different book.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
...but not without you agreeing to let them place a lien on the car, which stops you from being able to transfer the title to anyone other than them. .
Whoa! Haven't heard that one before! Crazy!!!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:30 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Whoa! Haven't heard that one before! Crazy!!!
Yeah man, you can read all about it plus other GT car shenanigans here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...cation-bs.html
Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

As someone with familiarity with the process it’s a bit difficult to get an allocation cold with no previous buying history.

I only deal with one dealer and have my cars serviced there exclusively. Put deposit down very early. Have a good relationship.

not going for the most exotic ( and too expensive for me) cars but generally get a GT3RS by planning very early.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

cstyles said it right. Buying a GT car from Porsche is probably the single most masochistic thing you can do. Be prepared to get f'ed every which way in your pursuit.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:51 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I bought my first Porsche from John Hulley at Pfaff and then locally at Porsche of London from Tim Bamford ( Cayman R, 991 GT3, 991 GT3 RS, 718 GTS Boxster ). Both dealerships and sales people provided excellent buying experiences. I’ve expressed interest in the GT4, have not been promised anything, yet I’m confident I will be treated fairly. I have used every car at Track Days, buy all my tires and brakes at the dealership and have never purchased a car to flip for profit, so that may help.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:10 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
cstyles said it right. Buying a GT car from Porsche is probably the single most masochistic thing you can do. Be prepared to get f'ed every which way in your pursuit.
You're absolutely right, and some people are tired of the BS.
I had no idea McLaren was playing the same games. Fortunately there is another brands manufacturing very exciting sports cars and not playing those games....

Waiting for the Black Series version of this car. Was a passenger and IMHO seriously amazing vehicle.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...s-GT/model-GTR
Old 08-28-2018, 02:09 AM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I find all of this in a lack of better word pathetic. I glanced over 991 GT3 allocations on this same forum. Thread starter, has a sudden memory loss of his days only 18 months back when he was doing the same thing I do now, while selling now his 18 GT3 at a small premium at $255K. Precisely the way you guys are describing what is happening with P GT cars.
Again, I find this absurd and definitely as proof that abundance of cheap money is everywhere, so story that brand new GT cars are rare and collectible can find its way around... LOL Maybe in 15- 20 years...
Just a quick search on autotrader.ca gives total of 126 nation wide Caymans, of all sorts, offered for sale from cost to cost. Out of it, 18 are current gen GT4s = wow... that is almost 15% of all Cayman inventory is offered in GT4 trim... Or, gets even better, all Caymans listed for 16MY are only 22 in total. So, GT4 makes up 82% of all 16MY offered Caymans... rare and collectible, yeah, sure...
In retrospect, I guess I'll be keeping my "white elephant" 996tt for a while, and my 951 will remain my DE track toy... Until "they" break a news for all us about new Lehman Brothers.... Than, it will be Run Lola, Run for many
In the meantime, the biggest surprise to me, is that PCNA, in today world, is allowed to do this. By both media and regulator. In my plan and simple language this is called price fixing and rigging and is very, very much checked and scrutinized by regulator. If I recall correctly a few years ago we had price fixing story on than brand new GT-Rs traded as used between dealers so they can sell them above MSPR, which is a no go in Canada. They cracked and slapped them hard for that. I guess PCNA numbers, compared to those of others, are still very small.
Cheers. Lemikson
Old 08-30-2018, 10:48 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Id take a look at that yellow GT4 in Ottawa. I know its not the new car but chances are very good that the new car wont be materially different, and while it has some miles (21k), it has a great spec and PCCBs for $110k asking claimed accident free, etc...

Smoking deal in my view if the car checks out. Avoid the dealer nonsense and get a wicked car today.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
You're absolutely right, and some people are tired of the BS.
I had no idea McLaren was playing the same games. Fortunately there is another brands manufacturing very exciting sports cars and not playing those games....

Waiting for the Black Series version of this car. Was a passenger and IMHO seriously amazing vehicle.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...s-GT/model-GTR
You and me both! Dealing with Mercedes has been a breath of fresh air (I never thought I'd say that). I'm really looking forward to the black series. And from what my dealer says, it won't be a problem to get one.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:25 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Nobody I know has had issues with mclaren playing games. Quite the contrary.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:12 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
They can't... those cars depreciate faster than Merc S class/BMW 7-series/Bentley/RR, etc...
Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
be interesting to see what happens with 750LT or whatever it is. Might be desirable...

Quick Reply: Orders for a new GT4