Notices

This is not a 911 versus 981 thread ...

Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default This is not a 911 versus 981 thread ...

This is day two after my hip replacement so I am not driving and have some time on my hands for a little while. Not surprisingly, there has been no shortage of offers from family and friends to take my cars for a drive etc. Having had this procedure using the anterior approach, there’s no restriction on range of motion as far as knee to chest (ie: getting in and out of car and clutching) so If all goes according to plan, I’ll be back to driving my PDK 911 in a couple weeks. The manual Boxster is another story ... it’s currently in Fla and I was able to get down there for a few days a couple weeks ago to enjoy it and get my last hurrah as it relates to driving it and slalom waterski coaching. Interestingly, it was the first time back in my Boxster since spending quality seat time in my 911. I used to think the Boxster was quick but holy crap does the 911 blow it away as far as pushing you back into the seat. Saying that, I love everything else about the Boxster (including the manual gearbox) and can see myself driving that car for several more years. With a fair amount of downtime on my hands now, I’ve been thinking about what to do with my Boxster as I’m forced to make a decision in approx. 6 months. It’s plated in Ontario and based on this will be due for an e-test to renew the plate. I suppose the three options I have are: drive or ship it to Ontario (only way to get the test done), plate it in Florida or sell it. Selling would likely require shipping it back to Canada unless I find a local buyer interested in picking up a Canadian car. When I was looking at 911’s in February, the West Palm dealer told me they would absolutely not take the Canadian car in trade ... Suggestions anyone ?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:20 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Confused how you got a Canadian plated car in Florida. Sounds like the only option is that need to ship it back and go through the proper import process...probably best off just selling it in Canada. You'd have to compare how much you can get for it. It just depends on how bad you want to keep the car...for me it would be excessive to own both a boxster and 911 because I'd ultimately have a preference for one or the other and end up driving it.

I also had a 2014 981 boxster (made in 2013) and now got a 2017 C4S. Definitely prefer the 911 for various reasons. Now that I'm used to the 911 turbo power, the boxster would feel painfully slow and I couldn't tolerate it.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Easy to get a CDN plated car to Florida - drive it down in the fall for use in the winter. My 30 year old suggested we do a road trip together to do this so that was the plan until he told me "sorry, there's no room for you!". Turns out he and his brother wanted to do the drive together so I gladly flew down to meet them down there. There would be no import process. I would have traded in the Boxster for the 991 in Canada but the value they offered was so low that it made sense to drive the car for another year or two and still get more than the trade in value plus tax savings. Since I wont drive the 911 in the winter in Canada, it will be stored so enjoying the driving a convertible when in Florida for a week or two per month should keep me happy until the spring.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Awesome, I love a good 911 vs Boxster thread! ;-)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

And no matter what the car will need to return to Canada.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is not a 911 versus 981 thread ...