Renovating the Garage... Here I go!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsun
As mentioned above and eariler in the thread, everything is as per code. Cheers.
Did you get a permit?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Did you get a permit?
ESA has been involved since starting the electrical work. All electrical has been done by me, and no I am not a licensed electrician, however you do not require one if it’s your own home. @Imo000 not directing this comment to you but, I am unsure as to why their is so much talk about code here when a lot of the information people have shared is false. Just wanting to share this build, thought has been put into it and I am doing it as correctly as I am aware of. Not answering any more questions on code or code related items.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

ESA issued a certificate for their inspection? If they did, might want to pass that on to the next owner.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

ESA has been involved since starting the electrical work. All electrical has been done by me, and no I am not a licensed electrician, however you do not require one if it’s your own home. @Imo000 not directing this comment to you but, I am unsure as to why their is so much talk about code here when a lot of the information people have shared is false. Just wanting to share this build, thought has been put into it and I am doing it as correctly as I am aware of. Not answering any more questions on code or code related items.
There are a lot of graduates here of the University of HGTV...

I have had both work done with permits and stickers and work without... Big kitchen project has a ESA sticker on it, then cabinet installers put a big #10 screw through some wiring damaging the wiring.... didn't find out until a few years later when we finally got the backsplash and under cabinet lights up.... no lights.... Luckily I was able to fix it without redoing the tiling....

Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by petee_c
There are a lot of graduates here of the University of HGTV...

I have had both work done with permits and stickers and work without... Big kitchen project has a ESA sticker on it, then cabinet installers put a big #10 screw through some wiring damaging the wiring.... didn't find out until a few years later when we finally got the backsplash and under cabinet lights up.... no lights.... Luckily I was able to fix it without redoing the tiling....
@petee_c Agreed.. one of the reasons why I took on all the work is that I know exactly where everything has been run and marked each location where it passes through the studs, etc. so that in the future I would know where not to nail/drill etc. All this coincides with pictures etc, all will be passed to new owner if ever sold. Only electrical done here was one new 20A circuit with receptacles, existing 15A circuit not touched other than move some junction boxes and receptacles in better positions (no cable cut or modified). Oh and I added 1 cat 6 connection for the TV.

Last edited by Jsun; 12-10-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-11-2018, 11:07 AM
petee_c
Drifting

@petee_c Agreed.. one of the reasons why I took on all the work is that I know exactly where everything has been run and marked each location where it passes through the studs, etc. so that in the future I would know where not to nail/drill etc. All this coincides with pictures etc, all will be passed to new owner if ever sold. Only electrical done here was one new 20A circuit with receptacles, existing 15A circuit not touched other than move some junction boxes and receptacles in better positions (no cable cut or modified). Oh and I added 1 cat 6 connection for the TV.
Any thoughts on adding wiring for future electric vehicle?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by petee_c
Any thoughts on adding wiring for future electric vehicle?
@petee_c I’ve thought about it since my GF and I were considering a Tesla 3 way back when they were taking the pre-orders, but it was taking too long and I love my crappy Jetta diesel lol. I roughed an area from my basement to the garage for where future services can be run. I would need to cutout or re/re one plank (and assoc insulation/air barrier) to make it all happen, not hard but would take 1/2 day. Initially I was going to install a 220v connection for my Tig welder, but I have never needed to weld anything that needed the 220 power. Most of anything I weld is very thin, Max being maybe 3/16”.

Currently I have a unfinished basement, the plan is to start this basement maybe in 2020. With this basement reno, I want to move the entire panel and upgrade it to 200amp, for this I will be getting one of my electrician buddies to pull all the permits etc as I personally don’t want to take this on as I need it done quickly, and I will rough-in all the basement wiring and have this checked by him to be included with the permit/inspections etc. At this point I will most likely throw a dedicated 220v and electric car charging point incase I or someone in the future will need this.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Back with some updates that will sum up any further updates till this spring. The temperature is starting to get too cold now, especially without the ceiling installed, also I brought the turbo home from my parents so space to move around stuff is very limited.

So over the holidays I tried to get as much done as possible, it was difficult but I managed to get all the walls installed and sanded to remove the mill glaze (prepare for stain) and basically clean the entire garage of sawdust and debris.. Let me tell you, every square inch of this garage had a good layer of sawdust . It was literally everywhere.. in the soffits, beams, between everything in the garage. Thank goodness my leaf blower was up to the task to get to all the hard to reach places, now the garage is spotless. 7 full garbage bags of cutoffs and sawdust was the product of that cleaning along with a cloud of sawdust exiting my garage haha.

So the remaining items to finish off this spring are:
  • install the ceiling
  • led lighting
  • staining of the walls
  • final trimming of lower area and corners
  • fabricate new stairs
  • wall mount cabinets and TV
  • locate tool boxes and transfer tools over
  • install flooring, decals etc
  • level the lift and bolt down to floor

Did a bit of testing with some various stains and colors I already had lying around the house just to see what I liked. I believe that I will be going with this whitewashed look, same idea as I initially wanted since it turned out how I exactly wanted, no blochiness, applied evenly. The stain lighted up the wood to more of a translucent white while still keeping the grain and knots visible.
If I can possibly install the ceiling before spring, it may allow me some possibility of finishing off the other items on that list. Having that ceiling in will help in keeping the heat in while working in the garage.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts

That looks awesome!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished my project.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Like the STOP signs in front of the SUV! A hanging tennis ball wasn't enough?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are for the wife, they light up when you hit them...
Same reason I got a 20' wide garage door, hahaha....
Old 02-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Jsun
Instructor

thanks @strathconaman and @997turbocab !

@Gregcoleman81 your garage project looks amazing! i'm hoping to wrap mine up for spring. Too cold, and not enough space now that the car is stored in the garage.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Tennis ball is better.... I put one up on a pulley so it goes up when the garage door is down, hoping less likely to walk into it.... We have it set so that the vehicle is just in the garage, and leaving space to walk around it at the front...

P

Quick Reply: Renovating the Garage... Here I go!