Looking for a dedicated DE car

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Looking for a dedicated DE car

Fellas,

I'm at a point where I either need to really compromise my ability to enjoy my 997TT on the street versus upgrading it to be safer at the track. I've decided the best move is to get into a dedicated DE car and keep the Turbo for what it's meant for - enjoying on the street.

Looking for a 996, 987.1 or 987.2 Cayman S with manual transmission and already set up for HPDE - suspension, safety, wheels & tires, etc... Must have a clean title and still be street legal, as I need to drive to and from the track. Budget is $30-$45k CAD. I missed this very well set up 987.1S @ $32k CAD, it would have checked all the boxes for me: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...oad-track.html

Any leads would be much appreciated. Cheers
Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

there are some old fogies in UCR that would preach that your 997TT was meant for the track. I don't agree with that small minded thinking and applaud your approach. They do come up occasionally and I'm sure you will find something. What about an old 944 Turbo ? too old ? I ve always thought they would be good track cars at a reasonable cost
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm looking to do the same for next year, and give the old 993 a bit of a break. I've been casually looking but and regret not jumping on that Cayman too!

I did stumble on this one, maybe of interest:

https://pcaucr.org/classifieds/show-...r-sale-wanted/
Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I'm looking to do the same for next year, and give the old 993 a bit of a break. I've been casually looking but and regret not jumping on that Cayman too!

I did stumble on this one, maybe of interest:

https://pcaucr.org/classifieds/show-...r-sale-wanted/
Went to check that car out last night actually. Unfortunately the asking price just isn't realistic. Would be a nice car indeed at $40-43k.

​​​​​
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cstyles
Went to check that car out last night actually. Unfortunately the asking price just isn't realistic. Would be a nice car indeed at $40-43k.

​​​​​
yah, that was my thoughts as well... good luck in your search!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the a similar boat, and decided to jump into a E46 M3! loved it and even though it's a inferior platform then a 997; it is very rewarding and super cheap in comparison. Also a ton of aftermarket race track goodies for it. My idea was to turn it into an almost dedicated DE Car, which I can drive to and from the track. Unfortunately time is against me and it is not getting used as much as I would want, so it's up for sale. There is a few of them at the local PCA Track events and you can see what they are capable once sorted out. GL in your search!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I was in the same boat a few years ago, I realize I can't have a car that will do both street and track well, its' one or the other. I end up picking up a low mile 987.1 and doing all the mods and safety gear to make it track worthy. If you can find one in your budget, I would say that would be a good deal because I spent a whole lot more to make mine similar to that gray one.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Adam144
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
there are some old fogies in UCR that would preach that your 997TT was meant for the track. I don't agree with that small minded thinking and applaud your approach. They do come up occasionally and I'm sure you will find something. What about an old 944 Turbo ? too old ? I ve always thought they would be good track cars at a reasonable cost
As a young punk i'd actually agree with the old fogies. You can't use the car's performance on the street in a responsible manner, it's too much car for the road.

The only place you can actually fully enjoy a Turbo p-car is on the track. It's too easy to hit 50km/h over on the street and the speed you'd need to encroach on its limits of grip would be irresponsible on public roads.

So I can see where their line of thinking comes from. I also understand OP's desire to have a track focused car. The balance is tough.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been out to the track 3x in the past 8 weeks or so.

Guys in the old BMW's seem to have a lot of fun. I'd imagine it would be fairly cheap and decently easy to work on.

I've been bitten by the trackday bug as well, but my budget and skill level doesn't allow for a trackday specific vehicle, I am upgrading rubber, then next brake pads I suppose, but I haven't plateaud yet in terms of improvements in laptimes with my almost stock Boxster S.

When people ask, I say it's not stock, I upgraded to Bluetooth a couple years ago. 😁
Old 07-28-2018, 09:44 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

So to conclude this thread, Rennlist came through for me! Ernie @ Mantis Racing messaged me that he had a customer considering selling his fully built (but still street legal) 987 Cayman S track car. I connected with the owner, had a PPI completed including compression test & boroscoping the cylinders, and now a couple of weeks later I've got this track beast sitting downstairs patiently waiting for Aug 18/19 DE weekend @ Mosport.

Some of you PCA DE regulars will recognize the car, as it has been a regular at DE weekends (and I'll be continuing that tradition). Fellow I purchased it from bought it 8 years ago completely stock, and had Mantis build it into a reliable track beast that can still be driven to and from the track. Literally nothing left to do other than fresh fluids and seat time. Just a tad different experience than the 997TT LOL!

Oh and one more thing: the 987 I linked to in the original post, that I 'missed'... The new owner brought it to DE last weekend for his first event with it and the head gasket blew in the first session Unfortunate

Last edited by cstyles; 10-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

So to conclude this thread, Rennlist came through for me! Ernie @ Mantis Racing messaged me that he had a customer considering selling his fully built (but still street legal) 987 Cayman S track car. I connected with the owner, had a PPI completed including compression test & boroscoping the cylinders, and now a couple of weeks later I've got this track beast sitting downstairs patiently waiting for Aug 18/19 DE weekend @ Mosport.

Some of you PCA DE regulars will recognize the car, as it has been a regular at DE weekends (and I'll be continuing that tradition). Fellow I purchased it from bought it 8 years ago completely stock, and had Mantis build it into a reliable track beast that can still be driven to and from the track. Literally nothing left to do other than fresh fluids and seat time. Just a tad different experience than the 997TT LOL!

Oh and one more thing: the 987 I linked to in the original post, that I 'missed'... The new owner brought it to DE last weekend for his first event with it and the head gasket blew in the first session Unfortunate

Very cool - congrats!

Looking forward to seeing the new toy @ August PCA DE. And jumping from a 997 turbo to a momentum car on track is gonna be a bit of an adjustment for you and possibly your ego 😁
Old 07-28-2018, 12:32 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Congrats... I think I saw that at the PCA DE at Mosport last weekend... is that possible?
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

What a beast!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 02:40 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Congrats. Hope to check it out!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:56 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam144
As a young punk i'd actually agree with the old fogies. You can't use the car's performance on the street in a responsible manner, it's too much car for the road.

The only place you can actually fully enjoy a Turbo p-car is on the track.
Not true. It's meant for driving to and from work in the German Autobahn.

Quick Reply: Looking for a dedicated DE car