Garage/Laneway House Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Garage/Laneway House Question

Hi Guys,

Beginning to explore replacing my 2 car garage with a new one featuring a second floor laneway suite.

How would you heat your garage with suite above?

I was thinking of radiant floor heating run off an on-demand water system that would heat the radiant loops as well as the water supply to the suite.

What have you done?

Last edited by ggrace; 07-14-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

As a cottage guy. I would also plumb it as a cottage. Totally be able to drain it and let it freeze.
Alarm, security, maybe solar? Battery back up, full LED, minimum footprint. I'm sure there will be square footage limitations.
Cottage boathouse. Ceilings under 6'6" don't count as footage. Great closet. Know the rules.
Watch for fire regulations. Garage will need 5/8 thick drywall. But still check.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you're worried about heating it!

When we were replacing the original carpet with laminate we considered adding it but decided against. If your floor is properly insulated you don't need radian flooring unless for tile floor, even so we haven't needed it in the bathroom or kitchen. Our Coach House is electric heat and R2000 rated, so adding radial electric would have been an easy "next step" luxury but IMO the electric bill would have been about the same. Since adding the Dimplex Electronically Controlled base board heaters the electricity bill has been alot lower than with the manual dial ones and most of all my Daughter hasn't complained, so Happy Daughter happy life.

Electric heating is expensive and will get even more so in the years to come but the Coach House is only 550 sq/ft, the bulge in the electric bill occurs January and February the rest of the year averages out more than my neighbours per month but not excessive. The Coach House Owners used to stay in touch alot more than they do now but I know a a couple of them have had to replace the gas furnace in their Coach Houses but the cost of doing so after 15 years was over $4K almost the same as a regular house, when we look at the bills it is more expensive with elecric but it's pretty much maintenance free, when you factor that in its not bad at all.

In the past, I did think about radian heating and using a tankless water heater but by code you have to run glycol based fluid not pure water, through the heat conduits in the flooring. The maintenance of the system will add to the over all cost, especially if there is a leak or pump failure. If you make is non-standard... who will service it, who ever does, will have you by the short and curlys.

I'm happy with my setup.

If you don't have alot of windows you can use a passive solar heater to capture the heat on sunny winter days, it lowers you electricity bill. PM me if you want more on this.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 07-12-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo and comment
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Forced air natural gas ceiling mount garage furnace for me
Old 07-12-2018, 04:06 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Sounds like you are going to spend more money than it cost to build my whole house!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

just put a cheap furnace in (should be under 2k installed)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a NG tube style heater ceiling mounted in my cottage garage / workshop. Works perfectly and controlled by thermostat. Zero complaints after 4 years.

I like WC11s setup as well for a nice compact style unit but it would be too small for my setup.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
just put a cheap furnace in (should be under 2k installed)
Why cheap out if part of the plan is protecting your cars? I don't imagine cheap furnaces are very efficient or long lasting either.

Originally Posted by Pags993
I have a NG tube style heater ceiling mounted in my cottage garage / workshop. Works perfectly and controlled by thermostat. Zero complaints after 4 years.
I like WC11s setup as well for a nice compact style unit but it would be too small for my setup.
Definitely get a heating guy to check out your garage to get the right size furnace for your application. Mine does fine for a 3 car garage with 11' ceiling I have it on a Nest thermostat so I can always monitor it.

Whatever happened to getting a garage sticky any way?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 AM
aventino68
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be in a similar situation soon and need to build a workshop, what are the savings for traditional materials VS going ICF for walls?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/06/toronto-laneway-suites-housing/

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/05/debate-laneway-suites-continues-council-defers-decision-june/
Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

You'll probably need permits
Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

My 1 Bedroom Coach House was built in 2003 for $50k, using traditional method of construction, now there is a builder that has taken a modular route using shipping containers like the ones in the article.
https://www.coachhousecornell.com

Cheers

Quick Reply: Garage/Laneway House Question