Notices

A question of helmets for DE/lapping days

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A question of helmets for DE/lapping days

Going to invest in a helmet that I can use for lapping days at Mosport and the like. Sick of borrowing from others as head gear in general is kind of a personal item. I have a few questions and seek your collective wisdom, Canadian Rennlisters. I'm thinking that I need to try the helmet on for sizing before I buy (rolling the dice and incorrectly guessing would probably end up costing me if I buy blindly online). However most of the stores in the GTA that carry helmets are probably motorcycle retailers.
  1. What are the material differences between say a Bell or Arai motorcycle helmet Vs one meant for an automotive application?
  2. Are any of you doing your lapping days with a motorcycle helmet?
  3. Do you have any recommendations for a place to try on and buy a helmet that is suitable for DE/lapping in the GTA?
  4. Looking back, if you just do lapping or DE events, would you necessarily default to a closed faced helmet Vs an open faced (definitely closed faced looks cooler)?
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
Going to invest in a helmet that I can use for lapping days at Mosport and the like. Sick of borrowing from others as head gear in general is kind of a personal item. I have a few questions and seek your collective wisdom, Canadian Rennlisters. I'm thinking that I need to try the helmet on for sizing before I buy (rolling the dice and incorrectly guessing would probably end up costing me if I buy blindly online). However most of the stores in the GTA that carry helmets are probably motorcycle retailers.
  1. What are the material differences between say a Bell or Arai motorcycle helmet Vs one meant for an automotive application?
  3. Do you have any recommendations for a place to try on and buy a helmet that is suitable for DE/lapping in the GTA?
  4. Looking back, if you just do lapping or DE events, would you necessarily default to a closed faced helmet Vs an open faced (definitely closed faced looks cooler)?
Thanks!
1) Motorcycle helmets would be heavier, but not radically heavier.

2) I have done DE with a motorcycle helmet, but it was out of date when I used it (no one checked it) but when I started lapping with the PCA peeps they were checking helmets to make sure they were in date and thus was forced to buy a new one and I bought a Bell helmet from a business that specialized in Rally Racing. So it was an auto helmet, not a motorcycle helmet.

3) Can't help you here since I am not in the GTA.

4) Now an open face is better for talking if you are with an instructor or another passenger, but I prefer full face even inside the car because you just never know when could hit you if you have an incident. But I always drove with the visor up since it was cooler and offered better visibility, So my eyes were still exposed. Six of one, half a dozen of the others. Oh and talking with a full face wasn't a huge issue.

If at all sample the helmet(s) ahead of time. I also have done some Kart racing and one of the guys was selling a spare helmet with a cool paint job (versus my plain white helmet) at a good price. But when I put in on my head I hated it. It just did not feel good compared to my plain white Bell helmet. Oh and make sure any helmet you buy is not about to go out of date.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
...but I prefer full face even inside the car because you just never know when could hit you if you have an incident.
So true, I guess I'm going full face for this reason alone. The more I look into this, the more I think I'll end up with a helmet that I've tried on in-person, and in-store in order to confirm the fit. As long as it's Snell approved and has an expiry date that's way out it should be fine for what I need it to do. I'm not sure I can even tell by looking at pictures on both the Bell and Arai websites what the differences are between some of their motorcycle and automotive helmets.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I picked up a RACEQUIP PRO15 ($440.00) from CSC Racing Newmarket. It's a perfectly fine snell rated full face helmet, no issues.

Last edited by jumper5836; 06-25-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

If you want to deal stateside I picked up a new SA2015 Bell Sport EV (large eyeport for glasses) full-face from Pegasus Racing......ordered a small and a medium. They sent both, I picked one and returned the other. Easy.

USD$399.95.

Gary
Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
Thanks!
1. Main difference is fire protection. None with the motorcycle helmet.
2. Yes have done DE in both. Once you do it for a while and start going fast you'll want a better helmet. Borrow one the fist time and then if you love it buy a SA rated helmet that has fire protection
3. Sorry, not sure in GTA but there are so many places...Braden Motorsports at Mosport has lots of choices. Definitely go somewhere to try them on as they all fit a little differently and prices can vary wildly. I bought a base Stilo for ju around $900 which I love because of fit but you can pay over $1500 more for top of the line Stilo. Other quality makes are available for around $400.
4. Closed face for me all the way for better protection but its a personal choice.

Don't forget to get some good gloves as well. Make sure they have fire protection as you will be using your hands to get out of the car in case of an emergency. Newer cars are so safe and rarely catch on fire but you never know. Plus on warm days gloves are great to deal with sweaty palms on the steering wheel.

Have fun!!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Don't forget to get some good gloves as well. Make sure they have fire protection as you will be using your hands to get out of the car in case of an emergency. Newer cars are so safe and rarely catch on fire but you never know. Plus on warm days gloves are great to deal with sweaty palms on the steering wheel.
Exactly. I did not want to say it because the thread was supposed to be about helmets, but you are spot on.
I too like to wear gloves at the track because I hate the idea of not being able to get out of a burning car, even if it is low risk. The risk still exists.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Wear a MC helmet with a balaclava hood

Funny when this subject comes up

Drivers with jeans, T-Shirt no gloves all good but freaked about a MC helmet

Get real

All gear all the time or take the risk

So very very tired of the safeplace crowd now invading the P car space

Take some risk or stay home
Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Wear a MC helmet with a balaclava hood

Funny when this subject comes up

Drivers with jeans, T-Shirt no gloves all good but freaked about a MC helmet

Get real

All gear all the time or take the risk

So very very tired of the safeplace crowd now invading the P car space

Take some risk or stay home
Maybe you should just stick to the non Canada sites if you like to be so ignorant. I'm not a safety guy, but definitely get why some people are, and the OP was just looking for some helmet info. If you don't like the subject no need for you to open the thread or read it.
Anyone buying a helmet should know their options and make an informed choice. If you disagree with the need for an SA helmet just say so and why. And I did mention that the gloves are to keep hands from slipping as well.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Classic example of the new P car owner safeplace crowd

Fire risk, crash risk, tire risk, seatbelt risk, come on.... stay home

Please put your blinker on so I know when its okay to pass and which side you prefer
Old 06-26-2018, 01:01 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Maybe you should just stick to the non Canada sites if you like to be so ignorant. I'm not a safety guy, but definitely get why some people are, and the OP was just looking for some helmet info. If you don't like the subject no need for you to open the thread or read it.
Anyone buying a helmet should know their options and make an informed choice. If you disagree with the need for an SA helmet just say so and why. And I did mention that the gloves are to keep hands from slipping as well.
Slippery hands must be some type of condition for that
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

As has been said on this site before, fire doesn't know it's "just" a DE. All the advice here is spot on. Automotive race helmet, full-face, Hans-compatible (there are now Hans that don't require a racing seat), SA2015, and you must try it on. I have no idea what racing stores are near you (and I have no idea what GTA means), but I've done a number of races in Canada, and everybody has helmets!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Motorcycle helmet is a 1 impact helmet where a car helmet is meant for multiple impacts. This is so your noodle can bang off of the cage. That is not relevant for most.
I used a motorcycle helmet for years as it doubled as a snowmobile helmet.
Now I just use a Bell helmet like most people.
You need to try it on.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

When it comes to DEs in street vehicles, it's not the fire protection that is the main concern... it's the fact that an M helmet is only designed to absorb a single impact whereas an SA helmet is designed to absorb multiple ones. In case of a rollover or a high speed crash, chances are that an M helmet will not be much good after the first impact (and neither will an airbag which deflates) and there are likely to be several until the vehicle comes to rest. If you have a roll cage the risk is even greater.

As for 996AE's point - please continue driving with a bike helmet. Organ donors are in relatively short supply and you just might help save lives, not to mention add weight to the natural selection argument and statistics.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
When it comes to DEs in street vehicles, it's not the fire protection that is the main concern... it's the fact that an M helmet is only designed to absorb a single impact whereas an SA helmet is designed to absorb multiple ones. In case of a rollover or a high speed crash, chances are that an M helmet will not be much good after the first impact (and neither will an airbag which deflates) and there are likely to be several until the vehicle comes to rest. If you have a roll cage the risk is even greater.

As for 996AE's point - please continue driving with a bike helmet. Organ donors are in relatively short supply and you just might help save lives, not to mention add weight to the natural selection argument and statistics.
Yes, ANY helmet is better than none.....I did a track day @ Mosport last week and was stunned to see that this particular group still deems helmets optional! In the States if you showed up sans helmet they would die laughing, then send you home.

+1 on Braidan Motorsport at the track--Brad is great and they do have a pretty good selection on hand along with lots of other stuff. Will do some fun browsing when I'm up again Thursday

Gary

Quick Reply: A question of helmets for DE/lapping days