Notices

A question of helmets for DE/lapping days

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:12 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Sorry boys I had a bad day.

Went to post office with my make america great hat on and federal PO worker refused to sell me stamps.

All gear all the time.

I was not happy with the PC crowd last night and it showed in my post.

Safety first is always best.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:51 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Is there an expiry date printed on helmets now? What is the expiry?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I believe it's 10 yrs from the date of the helmet i.e. SA2015 expires in 2025.

Gary
Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Check with manufacturer of the helmet. Each has their own, but most recommend replacement every 5 yrs (as does Snell)
Old 06-26-2018, 07:00 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

All the Bell and Arai helmets I've been looking at seem to expire 5 years out. Some of the stuff I've seen on sale are set to expire in 3-4 years. I really appreciate the info guys, I had no idea about the fire protection and the fact that an automotive helmet is designed for more than just one hit. I'm pretty sure it's not common knowledge for folks at my level that just do lapping and DE events.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:36 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

I've always read/been told that if a helmet has been impacted in an accident it should be retired.

Gary
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
I've always read/been told that if a helmet has been impacted in an accident it should be retired.

Gary
I think 35Mugen is referring to the type of impact that an automotive helmet can sustain vs a motorcycle helmet.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/0...acing-helmets/
Old 06-26-2018, 10:38 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I think 35Mugen is referring to the type of impact that an automotive helmet can sustain vs a motorcycle helmet.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/0...acing-helmets/
Yes, that is correct, I was referring to the type of impact... thanks for the link. Very informative and concise. I think I will be sourcing a helmet with a Snell SA2015 rating.

Here are some highlights from the article...

Snell SA Helmets (designated as Snell SA2015 or SA2010)

SA stands for Sports Application. SA-rated helmets are professional-grade. They are designed for auto racing and provide the highest levels of impact resistance and fire protection.

Some differences between SA (Sport Application)- and M-rated (Motorcycle) helmets include:
  • Snell’s SA standard requires flammability testing. The M-rated standard doesn’t.
  • SA-rated helmets pass a roll bar impact test. The M-rated helmets aren’t put through that test.
  • The SA standard allows a narrower field of vision than the M standard. Some SA helmets aren’t street legal for this reason.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

guys, snell releases their resins every 5 years (approximately) the resins degrade over time, for DE usually the rule is 10 years, for racing it is usually 5 years. sometimes the resins are released late and organizations allow you to extend your helmet life until the new ones come out.
as others have said motorcycle helmets are made for single impact, SA rating for multiple impacts.
Some PCA regions do not allow motorcycle helmets on track.
Open face is cooler on hot days, and better for communicating. closed offers better protection.
+1 on gloves for comfort while driving.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:18 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

DE must have:
Fit - try them on with someone that knows how to fit them
SA helmet
newest model you can find (last the longest)

IF you ever want to race in the next 5 years get full face and HANS compatible

everything else is preference/price:
full face vs open
HANS posts - only if plan on installing roll bar and harnesses and seats
weight - waste of $$ imo at DE level
airflow - you prob don't get that hot in DE sessions
colour/style - $$
Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 AM
tanner1974
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of places to look for helmets, somebody mentioned CSC Racing Products up in Newmarket (picked up a Bell helmet there years ago). Braidan Tires (which was also mentioned), they are also in Markham (Markham Rd/16th Ave) - not sure how big a selection of helmets they keep there but do have a few Stilo helmets there. JRP in Mississauga also has quite a wide selection of helmets. Either way, try on the helmet that fits correctly and then it'll boil down to how much you're willing to spend on something that will protect your brain.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:18 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Both trackdays I've done have been sans helmet....

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Grand Bend tomorrow night, and they will require a helmet. I just tried one of my motorcycle helmets in my boxster with the roof up, and I still fit with about an inch to spare for headroom.. I don't have plans in the near future to buy a car specific helmet. I am planning on going in street clothes, probably will wear shorts.

I do not know if there is data out there to support different rules that different organizers have for their trackdays. I could be wrong.

For motorcycle trackdays, your bike gets a decent once over for leaking fluids, water wetter (no coolant), brakes, chain etc.

My 2 car trackdays, no tech whatsoever...
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM
tanner1974
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the requirements are either because of the organizers or the track. CASC events, everybody needs to have their car's teched. BMW Trillium, tech required, and more so it needs to be signed off by a licensed mechanic. I'm guessing it's all liability.

Other track days like JRP, not required, but you as an owner of a car that you're going to put on the track, it's always best to make sure that your vehicle is properly maintained and such, have it checked regularly. Even if you take the time to make sure that there is no play in the suspension, visually check for any leaks under the car etc., that's probably better than what people do which is nothing.

Most track days requires a helmet, I can't imagine going out on the track without a helmet, like the Touge days at TMP where helmets are optional (shake my head when I see a driver with a helmet and passenger without one.....) Ones that are ran where helmets are optional, I'll stay away from them, but that's just my preference.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

CSC Racing in Newmarket closed about a year and a half ago when Ralph (the owner) unfortunately passed away, and Jennifer sold the business to an an outfit in St. Catharines.

Brad (Braidan Tire / Braidan Motorsport) carries both Stilo and Bell helmets and has a wide selection of models and sizes in stock. I really wouldn't be looking at anything other than helmets from these two brands regardless of where you buy it from. A decent one from either brand will set you back about $1K (you can certainly spend more if you want a carbon fiber helmet, built-in communications, etc.). It may seem like a lot, but you need to ask yourself what your head is worth. In the immortal words of my coach, imagine you've rolled the car and are hurling towards a wall at 220 km/h... how much would you be willing to spend on a good helmet at that moment? And, a properly fitting helmet is absolutely essential. They all fit differently (and people have differently shaped heads) so you need to try on a bunch first and find the one that fits you properly.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

IMHO, for a street car there isn't a big point of a helmet (don't ignore the fact it can snap your neck without a neck brace/HANS)... proper track car with cage, where you can properly run harnesses that allow a HANS or similar, then helmet up... full gear or no gear

Quick Reply: A question of helmets for DE/lapping days