Notices

My experience with ON dealer & PPI

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

Every time I have encountered someone hesitant/unwilling to give service records/CarFax, and eventually got them, it was because they were trying to hide something. Not a massive sample size, but definitely more than 10.

Always ask, and if they don't give them, walk away. There are so many cars out there. Why take the risk?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Alex, can you please explain that durametric report? I've never seen one of those and it's really interesting.
Hi Christien,

From what I understand, these cars have rev limiters under throttle. So any over-revs should be due to missed shifts / downshifts. If I am wrong there, someone can provide a Porsche SB or other Porsche doc.

The GT2 has some expensive engine bits and I wasn't about to take a chance. Price that engine (M97/70S) and if I throw a rod, that engine is pretty well toast. Its the buyer beware scenario. No thanks!

Now if you look at that report, the Operating hours counter states 913.8 (hours). Based on the mileage (60,288 kms) and those hours it provides an average speed of 66 kph which makes sense. The speedometer has not likely been tampered with.

Now if you look at the over-revs, the latest happened 0.4 hours ago at 913.4 in ranges 1 and 2 (no big deal in those ranges).
What worries me are ranges 3 to 6, although Porsche will CPO a car on ranges 3 and 4 provided they are not recent.

This article is all I could find that made some sense. The GT2 engine is not listed which has a redline of 7600, but you get the idea looking at the table.
http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/
Old 08-17-2018, 07:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
When we bought our used Boxster from Pfaff, there was no hesitation or problem with having the service records promptly shared.
Same here, the dealer I used offered no hesitation.

If I did get a PPI done by any dealer or shop, I would personally want to witness the leak-down test and borescope viewing.

On the subject of a leak-down, I have read of owners on RL getting different numbers from different shops on the same car. That is likely an operator error or the leak-down testers used each have a different orifice size (which would provide different numbers). I use an Eastern Technology E2M Differential Cylinder Pressure Tester. This model is to be used with engines having a cylinder bore of less than 5.00 inches. The bleed orifice has a standard diameter of 0.040 inches. This model includes a built-in Master Orifice, for fast and easy instrument accuracy/verification.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That's awesome, thanks for the explanation!
Old 09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

DELETE

Last edited by SupraSaiyan; 11-04-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:59 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
Hi guys,

Sorry I've avoided updating my thread for over 3 months. During this 3 months, I have given the dealer the benefit of doubt to make things right. This morning I've given them a final warning before proceeding with legal actions. Most of you can guess which dealership. I have emails from them with a lot of promises that have not been met at all. Furthermore, and what disgusts me the most, is the dealer providing service records on work NEVER done. At this point, it's not even the money I am trying to recoup, but to share my whole experience with as much people as possible.

Lastly, I am not a person who enjoys all the drama. Everything I have and will post is my truth and you're welcome to listen to the other side of the story (if they even respond!). I will update next week with (hopefully) some sort of conclusion.
The fake service records do not surprise me at all, unfortunately...
Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you contact OMVIC? They were great when I had to resolve an issue with my dealer
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
Did you contact OMVIC? They were great when I had to resolve an issue with my dealer
Yes, thanks. Spent the night writing everything up.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:38 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Can you provide more detail on these fake records? What sorts of work did they make up? How did you come to know they were fake? IIRC you are in another province, did the other dealer confirm work wasn't done?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

About this time last year I had a bad experience with Pfaff. Not in the same league as the OP's, but unpleasant nonetheless. I bought a car that was offered as a CPO, and 2 days before delivery date they told me they couldn't CPO the car but that they'd throw in a cheap after-market warranty. A salesman with low competence (lazy and simple), compounded by incompetent dishonest management. What really irked me was that they continued to advertise the car as CPO for weeks, until I called them on it. It takes very little to go from that kind of dishonesty to falsifying maintenance records.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OP any conclusions?

Quick Reply: My experience with ON dealer & PPI