Notices

My experience with ON dealer & PPI

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Its certainly not " normal" for an 02 sensor to trigger a cell.
Really?

Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Lol no
I have never had a car ever in my life have a cell come on and have it considered normal.
Maybe its just the cheap cars i buy.
Maybe its normal for 200k cars 😉

Thats why its called a " check engine light"
Old 08-13-2018, 12:51 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Lol no
I have never had a car ever in my life have a cell come on and have it considered normal.
Maybe its just the cheap cars i buy.
Maybe its normal for 200k cars 😉

Thats why its called a " check engine light"
They don't come on with your cars because you probably have to check the engine yourself quite often.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
They don't come on with your cars because you probably have to check the engine yourself quite often.
well its actually coz I cover them with black electrical tape, but that's a completely different discussion.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Its not normal to light off a an O2 on these cars unless you have an issue already. It is true that it can happen during the warm up cycle if the car has sat for months and there has been some leak down of oil that on first crank that can cover one or more of the O2's, but its rare as there is quite a latitude built into the program during the open warm up cycle. But if an O2 comes on after the SAI period and while you drive at operating temperatures that's something way different I would worry about. Of course there are dozens of scenarios that can set off a pre or post O2's - the worst being a cly/piston interface issue that is causing down stream issues. I would opt for (in this order) money back or crate engine. No third option.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

its been a month since OP posted , I wonder what happened ?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

its been a month since OP posted , I wonder what happened ?
I PMed the OP to see which dealer due to the fact his original post stated:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
I found a 997.2 GT3 RS for sale at one of the largest dealer in ON back in early May.
I never got an answer, but then its vacation season.

I wanted to know because I just checked out a 2009 GT2 (no Porsche CPO possible) at pretty well the largest dealer in ON and I was disappointed at how they handled the ad. If you have extensive over-revs in all 6 ranges, whether they think it is important or not, I'd want to know before driving up to see it. Thanks to my Durametric. I should have done that first before running my Defelsko paint thickness tester over it. Sorry to say but this is my second time dealing with them; the first time I checked out a 1997 993 C4S for a friend...and, too many issues.

I passed on this considering how close ranges 5 & 6 (97 hours ago) and ranges 3 & 4 (36 hours ago) were. Hell even range 1 was max'd out. GT2 or any Porsche engine is too expensive to take a risk on. Want to sell it for $120K, fine, otherwise provide a warranty.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

As soon as I even mention "Digital paint thickness measurement device" to any dealer, even if the Carproof is clean they usually stop talking to me. I am sure there is some sort of derogatory name for buyers like us. Oh yea. No stupid.

I have been looking for a used Benz. This is a new experience for me dealing with Benz dealers. I ask for service records on an CPO car and they go silent. I get the whole privacy thing and all that, but the sales people won't even go talk to the service manager to even ask to transmit them to me. We are talking warranty work here. BTW.

Last edited by red996; 08-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red996
As soon as I even mention "Digital paint thickness measurement device" to any dealer, even if the Carproof is clean they usually stop talking to me.
At which point I'd tell them to take a hike. Trust no one, especially people who want to take money from you.

Originally Posted by red996
I ask for service records on an CPO car and they go silent. I get the whole privacy thing and all that, but the sales people won't even go talk to the service manager to even ask to transmit them to me. We are talking warranty work here. BTW.
That is pure BS. Simply chop off the customer name from the service records. I do not waste my time with clowns like that.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
At which point I'd tell them to take a hike. Trust no one, especially people who want to take money from you.

That is pure BS. Simply chop off the customer name from the service records. I do not waste my time with clowns like that.
Dam. Your one tough cookie.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree. Had a moron from Pfaff pull that card. He said "How would you feel if you were the seller and someone else was inquiring about service records?"

Told him IDGAF and hung up
Old 08-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think that's unreasonable at all, even from the salesperson's perspective. Back when I used to sell cars I actually would've preferred a customer like that - honesty on both sides and no BS. I would've told you everything I know about the history of the car, then welcomed you to paint meter it. I never hid previous records due to privacy or anything like that. Besides, previous owners are a matter of public record - drop your $8 and get a vehicle abstract, voila, there are all your previous owners, including their plate #s.

Alex, can you please explain that durametric report? I've never seen one of those and it's really interesting.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
I agree. Had a moron from Pfaff pull that card. He said "How would you feel if you were the seller and someone else was inquiring about service records?"

Told him IDGAF and hung up
Well that's funny, I have service records from Pfaff that was part of my bargaining process and I got full records for the CPO vehicle I bought and no - I won't say whom the salesman was, but he didn't even blink when I asked and had the print out done in 5 minutes and in my hands as I sat there. No names of the previous owner included - although he forgot the address was still deep in the data on pick up location for service...

Maybe it had something to do with you calling him instead of sitting across from him with a cheque book open... Plus I slipped my BlueDriver device into the OB2 port and recorded the vehicles data to my iPhone. *Shrugs* The buying experience was great. Don't ask me about *after* buying experience with their service department...
Old 08-17-2018, 03:52 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I PMed the OP to see which dealer due to the fact his original post stated: I never got an answer, but then its vacation season.

I wanted to know because I just checked out a 2009 GT2 (no Porsche CPO possible) at pretty well the largest dealer in ON and I was disappointed at how they handled the ad. If you have extensive over-revs in all 6 ranges, whether they think it is important or not, I'd want to know before driving up to see it. Thanks to my Durametric. I should have done that first before running my Defelsko paint thickness tester over it. Sorry to say but this is my second time dealing with them; the first time I checked out a 1997 993 C4S for a friend...and, too many issues.

I passed on this considering how close ranges 5 & 6 (97 hours ago) and ranges 3 & 4 (36 hours ago) were. Hell even range 1 was max'd out. GT2 or any Porsche engine is too expensive to take a risk on. Want to sell it for $120K, fine, otherwise provide a warranty.
This doesn't surprise me at all

A few years back I traded in a car to them and I made it VERY clear that it would not qualify for CPO status. I didn't want a call back from them after they put it up on the lift. It was used 100% as a track car and had modified suspension and brakes, and had some paint work done on more than one panel but no accidents. I was fully upfront and gave them all the details. 2 days later....listed for sale, with a CPO.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:34 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

When we bought our used Boxster from Pfaff, there was no hesitation or problem with having the service records promptly shared. Probably a function of who you are dealing with and (possibly) their assessment of the potential purchaser's intent?

In any event, agree that not having them would make any serious purchase discussion a non-starter, unless the price was heavily discounted (implying of course that the car is sold "as-is" and likely will have some issues, hence the discount and you make your own assessment and take your own risks...)

Quick Reply: My experience with ON dealer & PPI