Notices

Out of control gas prices!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember $0.36 a litre days, yes I'm dating myself.

Filled up at $1.26 last Saturday near Angus on the way home from Bordon Base airshow, 2 stations was at that price and another two within less than a kilometer was at $1.31.

There is no realm and reason with gas pricings these days,....
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
filled up my cottage gas cans last weekend.
Really big boat?

Did you get cashback on your creditcard with that?

The big boat at my inlaws cottage has a 5L Merc in it... We probably use 100L of gas on a busy weekend. My kids are licensed for under 40hp, and we can get by with 40L for a weekend on their Boston Whaler SuperSport 13'. They love going back and forth between my inlaws and my parents (10-15mins away by boat), and giving rides to their little cousins.

I enjoy boating ok, but man the cost. I've taken to kayaking in the morning for exercise while trolling a line.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:38 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Taxes + inability to build pipelines + stringent environmental laws precluding new refineries = pricey gas. Millennials are screwed.
IMO real issue is that they didn't build a refinery that can compete with the quality from else where. There is no need for pipelines if we made Canada self sustainable and sell our own refined gasoline excess to our southern neighbors. Our government uses the gasoline tax to pay for all the mistakes and poor decisions they make. Millennial's are screwed already I can't see it getting any better, but I get the feeling the majority of them believe that they are being taken care of and it is going toward saving their environment and providing a place for all to live without having to be productive members. All great ideas when your living at home or off your parents generosity. Ontario is bankrupt it just refuses to claim it, it will continue taxing gas and everything else under the sun until there is no middle class left.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
IMO real issue is that they didn't build a refinery that can compete with the quality from else where. There is no need for pipelines if we made Canada self sustainable and sell our own refined gasoline excess to our southern neighbors. Our government uses the gasoline tax to pay for all the mistakes and poor decisions they make. Millennial's are screwed already I can't see it getting any better, but I get the feeling the majority of them believe that they are being taken care of and it is going toward saving their environment and providing a place for all to live without having to be productive members. All great ideas when your living at home or off your parents generosity. Ontario is bankrupt it just refuses to claim it, it will continue taxing gas and everything else under the sun until there is no middle class left.
NAFTA does not permit Canada to be self sufficient in Petroleum products, in fact, a paragraph in the treaty states the USA must have preference in getting Canada's product and if Canada reduces output to the USA it must reduce it in Canada as well by the same proportion. Gasoline is traded freely back and forth across the border and there are many USA wholesale racks which set the daily price. Canadian wholesale rates are set at those racks, for us it is the rate at the rack in Buffalo NY. Gas is gas and many companies buy at the same rack and add the various custom stuff at the rack as it's going into the truck. I really doubt it's possible for Canada to create a custom priced market though, especially living next door to the largest global guzzler of gasoline. For us the biggest price factors are as follows, Exchange Rate-Federal Tax- Provincial Tax- Carbon Tax-HST. Interestingly Europe which uses a lot of Diesel has a glut of Gasoline from the refining process and is exported to North America.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple, buy a 944. If you're trying you can get into the upper 30 mpg range

Anybody in the lower mainland who is even remotely close to the border, as I am, would be stupid to not buy fuel in the US. Significantly cheaper.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 AM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Originally Posted by petee_c
Really big boat?

Did you get cashback on your creditcard with that?

The big boat at my inlaws cottage has a 5L Merc in it... We probably use 100L of gas on a busy weekend. My kids are licensed for under 40hp, and we can get by with 40L for a weekend on their Boston Whaler SuperSport 13'. They love going back and forth between my inlaws and my parents (10-15mins away by boat), and giving rides to their little cousins.

I enjoy boating ok, but man the cost. I've taken to kayaking in the morning for exercise while trolling a line.
Recently someone told me the happiest days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 AM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Originally Posted by aviography
I remember $0.36 a litre days, yes I'm dating myself.

Filled up at $1.26 last Saturday near Angus on the way home from Bordon Base airshow, 2 stations was at that price and another two within less than a kilometer was at $1.31.

There is no realm and reason with gas pricings these days,....
I'm 32 and I'm curious about the gas prices when you were younger. At the time you thought it was expensive or with was like buying coffee?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:57 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix
I'm 32 and I'm curious about the gas prices when you were younger. At the time you thought it was expensive or with was like buying coffee?
​​​​​​​37 cents a gallon in 1963.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:20 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember pulling apart the couch looking for change to fuel the dirtbikes, that was when every penny did count, now we don't even have pennies.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I remember living in Montreal in about 75 and my dad bitterly complaining that it was .57c a gallon. Then went ape years later when we went metric , hiding the fact it was going over 1$ a gallon by putting it in metric. 23c a litre or something like that .
Old 06-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
At 1.40cad you’re paying about same as we are in SoCal per gallon. It’s over 4 here.
Our gallons are larger than yours. Ours is just over 4.5 litres. Your gallon is about 3.8 litres.

Just like my dick is.....Oh, wait, never mind.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 237 Likes on 159 Posts

Gas prices are highly variable but I don't think there has been much change over time compared to CPI. It could be cheaper with more local refining capacity and pipelines since the world is awash in oil.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I was in Margarita Island Venezuela 30 years ago and it cost $2 to fill a tank in the jeep we rented. Kids would fill their cars and just drive all night.
Not a great place to visit today.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:27 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I tried Costco gas for the 1st time last week. I waited in line for 8 minutes to get to the pumps there were 3-4 cars ahead of me... I put 20L in my boxster and 30L in 2 jerry cans...

Not really worth it in my opinion for me. I currently am getting between $0.08-$0.10 off/ L at Cdn Tire gas bars....

If I had more jerry cans with me, then it might be worth it. I've been filling up my motorcycle from home with jerry cans and a jiggy tube.

Interestingly, people seem to have a problem figuring out which side their gas filler is on on their vehicle... notice a lot of people pick lines opposite to where there filler is.

Peter
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Lining up for cheap gas makes no logical sense unless you're filling up your gulfstream or yacht.

You'll save more money annually if you stop buying starbucks, cigarettes or liquor.

Quick Reply: Out of control gas prices!