Notices

O/T Best cashback credit card

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts
Default O/T Best cashback credit card

My business Mastercard gives me nothing and I spend a couple of grand each month,
What's everyone using?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

My home internet and mobile phone services are with Rogers/Fido, so I opted for a Rogers Bank Mastercard. It offers a cashback which you can use directly to pay your Rogers/Fido bill, or spend the balance on hard goods at the Rogers/Fido stores. I ended up putting the "cashback" rewards towards a new iPhone, so that was a nice perk. Otherwise, there are better ones out there. Of my credit cards, I actually use the Mastercard the least.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard w/2% Cashback on everything from day 1.

https://rewards.mbna.ca/worldelite?src=DAAU81

It was the MoneySense winner a few years running.

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/credi...it-cards-2017/
Old 05-24-2018, 05:27 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife and I each signed up for TD Infinite Visa cards 3 months apart. The reason for the 3 months was that with a new card you get 9% cash back on all gas, groceries and reoccurring bill payments, 1% on everything else for the first 3 months. Having TD bank accounts we don't have any fees for these cards and we stand to get approximately $350-$400 per card in cash back in the first 3 months. After 3 months they go to 3% on gas, groceries and reoccurring bill payments, 1% on everything else.
We received $140 just for putting our Hagerty car insurance on as a reoccurring bill payment and then we'll see $45 per year after that.
That's the best deal we've ever experienced with a loyalty system!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 AM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the TD cards. We use the Business travel card for our business. I think you get double points or something on all "travel" purchases. They define travel as anything outside your original postal code. It basically pays for a trip per year for us. ( I'm talking Europe, not Travelodge at the Falls lol)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:41 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent quite a bit of time analyzing credit cards. My wife and I now use two cards
  • Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite (4% on gas/groceries, 2% on reoccurring payments, 1% everything else)
  • MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard (2% on everything)
We use the Scotiabank card for gas and groceries, and MBNA for everything else. In our case having two cards results in about $500 more yearly cashback than using just one card even after paying both yearly fees. We used to also use a Marriott visa but mostly because it had an awesome introductory offer and it also had 0% foreign xchange fees. But sadly they cancelled that card.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

I forgot, We also use the PC world elite card for personal stuff. 3% at Esso, Shoppers and Loblaws and a couple other places. It usually gives us an extra $500 or so per year. The points add up fast and the website for tracking rewards is pretty easy to use.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard w/2% Cashback on everything from day 1.

https://rewards.mbna.ca/worldelite?src=DAAU81

It was the MoneySense winner a few years running.

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/credi...it-cards-2017/
That's the one I use too. Although it's promoted as a travel card, it's really cash back. Since OP is only spending a grand or two per month though, he might be better off with one that gives 3% on gas and groceries and (I think there's a Scotia card) since those will presumably be a higher percentage over overall spending at that level.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I think your math is correct Nate. You need $8900/year just to cover the $89 yearly fee at 1%.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:42 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what your needs are.

I have a Home Trust Visa that I use for all my USD purchases because there is no forex fee (2.5% for most cards). No annual fee and 1% cash back on all purchases.

CIBC Visa Infinite for cash back and it provides out of province medical for me and entire family.

Westjet MC for the annual companion flight ($99 for anywhere in North America). Have the Costco MC as well which is just collecting dust since I got the Westjet one. Will likely dump the Costco one soon.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

TD Aeroplan Business Visa
Old 05-27-2018, 03:22 PM
cartwheel
Track Day

+1 on MBNA world elite. 2% back on everything. Business expenses are primarily airfare, hotels and rental cars- works well for these expenses. Gas and grocery cards just don't work for me as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the BMO world elite, only 1.5%, but fees are waived on both our cards. Also like that it's integrated to BMO online banking - which is where we do our daily/transactional stuff.

Clearly leaving a few dollars on the table, so will look into the MBNA. At low spend levels it's fairly close, but can definitely add up when you're ballin'

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:10 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Depends on what your needs are.

I have a Home Trust Visa that I use for all my USD purchases because there is no forex fee (2.5% for most cards). No annual fee and 1% cash back on all purchases.

CIBC Visa Infinite for cash back and it provides out of province medical for me and entire family.

Westjet MC for the annual companion flight ($99 for anywhere in North America). Have the Costco MC as well which is just collecting dust since I got the Westjet one. Will likely dump the Costco one soon.
That home trust visa sounds like a great secondary card. I'll probably be signing up for one and ditch my USD mastercard. http://www.hometrust.ca/preferredvisa.aspx
Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 AM
DCYT
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use MBNA Word Travel for everything purchased in Canada. No fee and 2% cash back on everything.

For foreign purchases or any purchased from outside of Canada, I use the Roger's Word Elite. 4% on all foreign currency transaction (2.5% fee) for an effective 1.5% back.

Quick Reply: O/T Best cashback credit card