Notices

O/T Best cashback credit card

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Is the costco mastercard any good? It looks interesting. Family of 4 (kids 12 and 15)...We drive about 50-60,000km/yr between 4 vehicles.

Currently have the Cdn tire "Triangle " card and a Gas Advantage card from Cdn Tire...
Old 06-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Is the costco mastercard any good? It looks interesting. Family of 4 (kids 12 and 15)...We drive about 50-60,000km/yr between 4 vehicles.

Currently have the Cdn tire "Triangle " card and a Gas Advantage card from Cdn Tire...
The MBNA i mentioned is better as long as you spend enough to justify the $89 annual fee.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

It turned out that almost every bank has a no fee card with 1% cashback.
I went with CIBC as I have my business accounts there.
Costco is probably the best, but that is where we have our personal card.

BTW. Is everyone tired of the credit card ads after viewing this thread?!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks to this thread, I just switched to an MBNA MasterCard. The fee was easily paid just on the spread between 2% and the 1.5% I had with BMO Elite (card was free for me). BMO used to pay 1.75%, and that would have been closer to break-even with them waiving the fees...

I still use the Costco capital one card just for meals at 3%...

Thanks Chris and all.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Related question: anyone have experience with small business credit cards? When I started my company years ago I just got zero-fee, 0.5% cash back CAD and USD cards from BMO. Didn't really matter since not much went on them. It's still not a lot, but we do charge a couple grand a month now, so it would probably be worth getting something better. To simplify, I'd ideally like to get a no forex fee card, so we can just charge all CAD and USD stuff to the same card. Probably a zero annual fee, since the amount spent likely isn't sufficient to justify paying a fee. (The couple grand is spread over two corps, so would need to be two separate cards.) So ideally something like that Home Trust Visa, but in a small business card. (Or maybe you can just apply to that same one under a business name? It has some disadvantages though; based on the reviews, it's taking months for them to approve new cards, and you can't set up automatic full payments from a bank account.)

Quick Reply: O/T Best cashback credit card