Notices

BMW Z3 M - Any experience or insights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:12 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts
Default BMW Z3 M - Any experience or insights?

Not a P-Car topic, but I have always liked the looks of the Z3 roadster. The 1998 to 2002 M version would seem like a hoot to drive in nice sunny weather.

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them? The BMW straight 6 has been heralded as one of the smoothest engines out there, but I have no idea if it or the rest of the drive train had any well known issues to watch out for? Looking to avoid a modest investment in a weekend car from turning into a money pit....

All comments are welcome...
Old 05-19-2018, 02:17 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had two Z3’s and an M Roadster and loved them. The M’s have a very different feel and are a bit spartan, but loads of fun to drive. The only real downside is the 5-speed tranny. 5th is an overdrive - it feels like a car that needed a 6 speed. Having said that, I’ve actually been thinking about maybe adding one back to the collection
Old 05-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Not a P-Car topic, but I have always liked the looks of the Z3 roadster. The 1998 to 2002 M version would seem like a hoot to drive in nice sunny weather.

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them? The BMW straight 6 has been heralded as one of the smoothest engines out there, but I have no idea if it or the rest of the drive train had any well known issues to watch out for? Looking to avoid a modest investment in a weekend car from turning into a money pit....

All comments are welcome...
Always check the rear subframe area around the bottom of the trunk for damage, very common to have damage caused by shifting subframe. If the damage is found early it can be fixed by welding, unfortunately some are caught later and can be extensive. I don't believe the M has this issue but I could be wrong.

Other than that it's prolly the easiest and cheapest BMW to maintain as the wear parts are sourced from several popular models. Not everyone's taste tho, some see it as a "Clown Car". I don't know why really but is a great reliable run about car, you can pick up pretty good ones for like $4K down south (or less in the case of the 1.9L 4 banger).

If you live in a good neighborhood down south you don't need to even lock 'em.

Good Luck.

EDIT: The cloth top getting more and more expensive to replace.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 05-19-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo + comment on top
Old 05-19-2018, 05:54 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Always check the rear subframe area around the bottom of the trunk for damage, very common to have damage caused by shifting subframe. If the damage is found early it can be fixed by welding, unfortunately some are caught later and can be extensive. I don't believe the M has this issue but I could be wrong.

Other than that it's prolly the easiest and cheapest BMW to maintain as the wear parts are sourced from several popular models. Not everyone's taste tho, some see it as a "Clown Car". I don't know why really but is a great reliable run about car, you can pick up pretty good ones for like $4K down south (or less in the case of the 1.9L 4 banger).

If you live in a good neighborhood down south you don't need to even lock 'em.

Good Luck.

EDIT: The cloth top getting more and more expensive to replace.

I will research the sub-frame issue - Thanks for the heads up.

My first challenge is leg room. At my 6' 4" height, fitting into these smaller cars is a challenge...
Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The S54 engine one held onto it's value really well too.

Quick Reply: BMW Z3 M - Any experience or insights?