Notices

Servicing in-warranty Macan at independent, any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Servicing in-warranty Macan at independent, any issues?

I’ve got a Macan GTS that’s due for the 2nd year service. It consists of oil change, cabin filter, air filter and brake fluid flush.

the local Porsche dealer (Vancouver, B.C.) is charging $1200 + tax for this service, which seems very high. I paid over $500 for the 1st year service, which was only an oil change and a checkup last year...

I’m sure an independent can do this for much less, but before I go that route, does anyone have any advice?

Anecdotally, I’ve read posts online that suggest dealers may offer less at time of trade-in if a car hasn’t been serviced by an authorized dealer (something to do with not being able to CPO). I’m not sure if this is a true statement or just a scare tactic. I’m curious if anyone has experience with the above, especially on a 2 year old, in-warranty vehicle.

Note that I will probably keep this car for another 2 years and trade-in right around when the warranty expires. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

My Macan Turbo was serviced at my indep mechanic. I provided all the parts (OEM only) and he provided the labor throughout my 3.5 yrs of ownership. I traded my Macan Turbo in about 6 months ago and my dealer only asked me where I serviced my car and I told him it was outside shop in which I have all the receipts for. My dealer appraised my car as if it was serviced in house through the whole time (as far as I believe). In all, I probably saved at least $1500 in just overcharged dealer rates for simple regular maintenance
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure it's a detailed report with a indy who can do a code check.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Your manual indicates what needs to be done for warranty compliance.
What a dealer "tells you" is hearsay. Document your service, that will stand up for Warranty.
If you don't like your dealer pricing? Stand up for yourself, and tell them it was $5oo last year.
How is a brake fluid flush $7oo additional dollars. I just had it done on my BMW? It was $100 at my indy.

Do you "need" to change the brake fluid? You can check...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

brake fluid flush alone is around $200 + taxes at dealer. 2x air filter would be around $200 + taxes. In cabin air filter would be around $60 + taxes
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

From my experience, servicing at a dealer and having a relationship with that dealer gives you a better chance of getting a fair shake when it comes to warranty time. However, this is not a black and white issue though. You may get something warrantied, hassle-free, with independent service. You may have a warranty item refused for sketchy reasons, even though you do get serviced at the dealer.

For my money, I'll get the car serviced at an independent shop, and fixed at an independent shop. Warranties don't seem to be worth the paper they're written on...
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I would ask Weissach for a price for the service. They work on a lot of Porsche's so I don't think anyone seeing their service record would be concerned. I can't see why it would be more that $700? That is unless you are wanting to order a GT car. Then you'll have to pay the $1200 and tip everyone at the dealership on your way out.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Depends pn your situation - I get my Porsches serviced at the dealer from new till I sell them ( which I rarely do) . I know its not cheap, but when I want a difficult to obtain car like a GT3RS I will generally get it as the dealer makes the call.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^+1
Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
..... Warranties don't seem to be worth the paper they're written on...
X2

My X5 was dutifully serviced at the dealer for 5 years and 90k. Upon a dealer oil cooler repair and oil change, the engine threw a connecting rod 240 ish kms from oil change and repair.
I was "accused of being neglectfully in my servicing". I would need a new engine @$26k.
It all worked out in the end, with no help from the dealer, or head office.
So, if your ultimately responsible for any and all things? You may as well get it done where you like. Or do it yourself? Your responsible anyway.

Quick Reply: Servicing in-warranty Macan at independent, any issues?