Notices

AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To be fair to the R8 driver may have been "lesser". I was inquiring about trading in my car for an R8. I just couldn't pull the trigger. I am sure I would have had buyers remorse. My Porsche SA priced out the R8 for me but he also thought I would have buyers remorse. I think I made the right decision but the R8 is certainly a beautiful machine.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I love the R8s and would be very lucky to own one one day. The RWS came close but the GT4 seems like it was made specifically for me, was $35k less and, importantly, the timing of the RWS delivery made it a 25% tax car in BC versus the GT4 that I was able to make a 15% tax car. I felt that the GT4 was likely to hold more of the after tax value.....but it wasn't only my head saying GT4, in this case my heart was too. I cant wait to see one of these RWS' up close - I hope someone I know buys one so I can get a ride!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 PM
r8v10plus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis.E
You know, for a guy with no pictures or posts of a v10 plus, or even pictures of your...cough...2 huracans in anywhere except for one in a business garage, and a 911 on a car lot. yet 2 posts slaming the R8 s depreciation.....I call utter and complete BS. Basically lost credibility to me at least that you even own a sportscar....maybe you install film on nice cars for a living.

dude....the rws is 163k msrp canadian. You really think its going to sell in two yeas fir 120k? I know the used ones currently are 187 to 192k and the rest are sold out. So what made you so butt hurt over the pretend v10 plus? Or was it the lambo that depreciated like a rock? Different car. Paying the lambo tax new is just the price you pay to get less car for more dollars on a rwd lambo 580.

LOL, wtf you talking about? How old are you? Don't worry about what's in my garage, worry about getting suckered into buying a "special edition" Audi which will drop in value like every other Audi. Or I should say you couldn't afford a Lambo so you had to get an Audi, lol.

There is nothing special about this car, hell Audi UK gave Youtuber SOL a free, yes a FREE RWS spyder to drive around for an entire year. I didn't know manufactures gave out special edition cars to YT'bers to drive around for free? And the cars listed on AT were listed much higher and the sellers have gradually dropped the price. In the US they're selling for MSRP. I'll bump this thread in 2 years and we'll see where the prices are at.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the advice I was given. I was told by many that the R8 would depreciate so fast that in a few years my 911 would be worth more than the initially more expensive R8. Still, it is a lovey car.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
That's the advice I was given. I was told by many that the R8 would depreciate so fast that in a few years my 911 would be worth more than the initially more expensive R8. Still, it is a lovey car.
I agree, The design engineers at Audi have completely revamped and saved that company , all their cars are beautiful cars well, okay I'm not an A3 hatch guy

But the 5 series , especially the RS5 is simply a gorgeous machine, along with the 7s and the R-8
Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a brand new unsold RWS version at a dealer back in April. I made them an offer (below MSRP) and they initially said no. They emailed me on and off for the next several weeks and finally called me and agreed to my number more than a month later. They were going to call me back in an hour to firm up the delivery date and I was in the middle of arranging PPF and ceramic coating when the sales manager sold it to a walk in at full MSRP.

I'm happy now that I didn't go through with it. There really isn't anything special about these cars that would make them appreciate. Personally I would rather take a depreciated R8 V10 plus and get all the carbon bits and standard ceramics.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

I didnt buy mine because it was limited. I bought it because it was available and a good price. I dont buy used, and R8s are hard to find new in Canada right now. Used ones are crazy priced because the US market is scooping them up due to the exchange rate. So you pay way too much for a used R8, or hope to find a relitively cheap new one. I got lucky.

There are people out there not picking a GT3. Even magazines that only picked the gt3 for track purposes in shootouts. If I was in my 20’s Id get the Porsche and drive it daily on the street with a second set if rubber for track days. By 30 its just not the right machine for me anymore, or by 40, or by 50. Lucky for me, by the time I could pay cash for a Lambo, I had grown out of wanting one. Nobody keeps a Lambo for 7 years eh? Lots keep other sportscars that long though. There is a reason for that.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 PM
r8v10plus
Intermediate

There's 50+ 2017+ R8's listed in Canada atm and this doesn't include the ones floating around at auctions.

Don't get me wrong, the R8 gen 2 has amazing performance and has exotic looks at a great price point if buying used but I don't think it has the same appeal as the gen 1 R8.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
Which is why I would not buy a McLaren. I'll gladly take their favourable lease rates (better than Porsche) and high residuals (similar to GT3), drive the car and not worry about the depreciation. In 3 years they can have it back and if they are able to sell it at what the buy-out amount is, good for them, but I'm skeptical.
Either that or buy used and let someone else deal with the bulk of the depreciation!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:16 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Either that or buy used and let someone else deal with the bulk of the depreciation!
but then you will own the car without a warranty... owning a 911 without a warranty is a safe bet. McLaren? Not sure they are there yet.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by moab

but then you will own the car without a warranty... owning a 911 without a warranty is a safe bet. McLaren? Not sure they are there yet.
I suppose so. That would also be part of why they depreciate, presumably. Aside from a BMW that I bought with about 3 months left though, I've never had a car under warranty; I figure if it breaks I'll fix it. And I don't have to fight with anyone about what's covered or not!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by r8v10plus
There's nothing really special about this R8 imo. Slapping on a limited edition badge doesn't mean it will go up in value, instead I see the RWS dropping in value. The new R8 in general has been a failure and trust me I learned the hard way when I had to sell my V10 plus. I'd rather buy a gen 1 R8 preferably a 6 speed which will probably go up in value way before the gen 2 goes up.
It's not a collector car for sure. But look at it this way - it's better than an AWD R8 to drive and it's cheaper to begin with, so the depreciation should be less than a comparable standard AWD R8. But that's pretty much it. I would not expect it to hold value as well as Porsche GT cars or true collector cars.

But anyway, I'm discussing this to just share my thoughts with those who care. For me depreciation is not a factor - otherwise, I would not have bought a new 911 Turbo S or Cayenne Turbo.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Found the one guy in the world. Lol. Quoted from r8talk.

As for why I prefer it to the GT3... It's just a much better street car. The GT3 is an amazing car but really it's a track car. It is the most precise and sharp feeling car (excluding full race cars) I've ever driven. But for me it's just too much on the street. It wasn't enjoyable every day. The motor really has to be rung out to get power, the carbon buckets are non adjustable. The big wing screams race car all day every day. Really the only thing I miss about it is the manual gear box. The R8 sounds equally as good (though in a different way), it's much more compliant, more comfortable, better tech, etc. Its comparing apples to oranges but for me oranges are better tasting

There are 3 more guys on rennlist that traded in their 911s. Maybe in the future some may trade the rws in for a 911, but I dont think many will. More likely it will be for a less track oriented car again.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

996 GT3, now that was a track car!

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I view all the modern GT3s as comfy street cars that are wicked fast on the track.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis.E
Found the one guy in the world. Lol. Quoted from r8talk.

As for why I prefer it to the GT3... It's just a much better street car. The GT3 is an amazing car but really it's a track car. It is the most precise and sharp feeling car (excluding full race cars) I've ever driven. But for me it's just too much on the street. It wasn't enjoyable every day. The motor really has to be rung out to get power, the carbon buckets are non adjustable. The big wing screams race car all day every day. Really the only thing I miss about it is the manual gear box. The R8 sounds equally as good (though in a different way), it's much more compliant, more comfortable, better tech, etc. Its comparing apples to oranges but for me oranges are better tasting

There are 3 more guys on rennlist that traded in their 911s. Maybe in the future some may trade the rws in for a 911, but I dont think many will. More likely it will be for a less track oriented car again.
I don't even know why you are on a porsche forum being so defensive of your r8 trying to find people who traded one car for another.
The 911 is far and away one if the most iconic sports cars ever built.
Audi have a long way to get there in reputation snd sales.
But i do appreciate the audi profit contribution to VW group so Porsche can still fund great machines.

i think people are growing tired of your valiant but fruitless flag waving. Time to move on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AUDI R8 RWS - Imminent Depreciation?