Notices

Ontario Trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ontario Trackdays

Anyone running trackdays at TMP/Cayuga? How's the Grand Bend track?

Thinking about treating myself and my 2001 Boxster S to a trackday some weekday this spring/summer/fall...

I did one TMP trackday with the boxster with a guy named Jerry/Gerry about 6-7 yrs ago, none since.

I've done multiple motorcycle trackdays at Shannonville and Cayuga 10+yrs ago, and taken the FAST motorcycle course at Shannonville ages ago (early 2000's)

Budget - $200-500 max.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Found this for TMP.
https://torontomotorsportspark.com/open-car-lapping/

I've only dealt with TMP a couple times (for motorcycles, and there management skills left a little to be desired....)
Old 04-26-2018, 03:08 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been out to the Grand Bend track a couple of times. It was the first time on track for me. I think it's a great track for beginners as it's not too fast and not many areas that you can get into trouble.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:04 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have been running at Grand Bend Raceway since 2010. They have a EMS Van, Marshals, Driver Meeting and three run groups - Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The pre-entry price for Thursday Evenings is only $80 including taxes. The BEND - Track Nights on Facebook is active with the latest news. This year I'm running my 718 Boxster GTS and my Ariel Atom.

Porsche of London has three Track Days this year again. Porsche of Canada has numerous Car Introductions at Grand Bend over the years.

I hope you join us.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:49 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

If you're a PCA UCR member, two whole days @ Mosport Grand Prix is $360 including tax. Even though it's busy and you only run ~4 sessions per day, you get two days and it's still the best per-minute price to get on track.

JRP also runs track days on the Grand Prix circuit for under $400 all-in. They run two groups, intermediate and advanced, and you get tons of track time and you're not jumping through hoops meeting all the PCA ridiculousness ie not allowed to wear shorts to a lapping day...

I find TMP is very hard on the car - tires, brakes, etc... I have not driven Grand Bend but I assume the same as it's a short, technical track.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:08 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Thanks. all good suggestions... gives me food for thought.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The PCA events at Mosport are the best bang for buck and are well organized. They're concern with safety is second to none, which is a huge plus IMHO. I've been to TMP twice and found that the management of these events could use improvement. They basically allow anyone on the track, which doesn't make for the safest environment. The last time that I was there, I saw total novices dive bombing other drivers into turns, spinning off into the grass and then just going on with their day without anyone even talking to them. In a nutshell, TMP is hit and miss and can be dangerous, depending on who shows up on the day that you're there.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

might see you at TMP...
Wednesday evenings tend to be more skilled than Fridays IMHO
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nowakm99
The PCA events at Mosport are the best bang for buck and are well organized. They're concern with safety is second to none, which is a huge plus IMHO. I've been to TMP twice and found that the management of these events could use improvement. They basically allow anyone on the track, which doesn't make for the safest environment. The last time that I was there, I saw total novices dive bombing other drivers into turns, spinning off into the grass and then just going on with their day without anyone even talking to them. In a nutshell, TMP is hit and miss and can be dangerous, depending on who shows up on the day that you're there.
Yep PCA at Mosport is a blast, safe and well organized. Yes only 4 sessions a day but there is also a great social aspect to PCA track days. Currently all the PCA Mosport dates are waitlisted. Given the 2 week before event cancellation policy lots of folks register early but then cancel 2 weeks before so just sign up and get on the list. A bunch of us from Rennsport region will be at Mosport next weekend for the first event.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I did one TMP trackday with the boxster with a guy named Jerry/Gerry about 6-7 yrs ago, none since.
"Gerry" is probably Gerry Low who's involved with DriveTeq now--runs at Mosport (both tracks) and others. Many other private groups like 6thGear, Apex, and EA also run at Mosport and are generally well-organized; most are a bit more than your budget but worth it. I'll be there with 6thGear on Wednesday

Gary
Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

What time Is the driver meeting for Saturday 5th May at Grand Bend.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993GT
might see you at TMP...
Wednesday evenings tend to be more skilled than Fridays IMHO
Have you done the weekday (daytime) track events at TMP recently? Those might fit my schedule (I have Fridays and every other Monday off typically)

Peter
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might join you in September. Even if it's one of those evening runs at TMP or something.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Just figure I should mention Infinite Motorsports. I went to their October event last year and their event last Wednesday and it's very well run. If you want to go with friends that don't have a Porsche, it's an excellent option.

http://infinitemotorsports.ca

Quick Reply: Ontario Trackdays