Notices

"Phantom vehicle" new headlight laws

Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default "Phantom vehicle" new headlight laws

"New manufacturing standards will kick in for all new cars sold in Canada beginning September 2021 to stop so-called "phantom vehicles" — cars operating without lights in the dark."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tail...rash-1.4279458

Wow about time but why does it take till 2021 to get this solved ???????

How hard is it to get this done before 2021.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Phantom-cars.pdf (242.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
"New manufacturing standards will kick in for all new cars sold in Canada beginning September 2021 to stop so-called "phantom vehicles" — cars operating without lights in the dark."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tail...rash-1.4279458

Wow about time but why does it take till 2021 to get this solved ???????

How hard is it to get this done before 2021.
Agreed, why 2021 for something that should technically be a recall. Auto manufactures have screwed up by having gauges always illuminated, that is the core problem here and they should foot the bill. Day time running lights were fine for many years until the trend of illuminated gauges came in to play.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Gives the government 3 years to figure how to tax it.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 AM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Agreed, why 2021 for something that should technically be a recall. Auto manufactures have screwed up by having gauges always illuminated, that is the core problem here and they should foot the bill. Day time running lights were fine for many years until the trend of illuminated gauges came in to play.
A lot of people fail to remember that the although the gauges are illuminated they are more brighter when the low beams are off. And the the rest of dashboard is only illuminated when you turn on the low beams or the parking lights. So when someone is driving at night (even when driving in the city) and fails to see that the dash is dark and the gauges are very bright is kinda stupid IMO.

I also believe that there is a special place in hell for people that drive with the high beams ON all the time. One time I told to the driver on my left that he had is high beams ON the conversation went like this:
Me- you have the high beams ON.
him- High beams??? (And then looks at the gauges confused)
M- Yes, You have a blue light ON in your gauges, pull your lever to your left to turn it OFF.
H- (looks at me confused and says) Blue???

He had a thick accent and I think he didn't understood what I was saying to him so I gave up.

PS: English is also my second language.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix
A lot of people fail to remember that the although the gauges are illuminated they are more brighter when the low beams are off. And the the rest of dashboard is only illuminated when you turn on the low beams or the parking lights. So when someone is driving at night (even when driving in the city) and fails to see that the dash is dark and the gauges are very bright is kinda stupid IMO.

I also believe that there is a special place in hell for people that drive with the high beams ON all the time. One time I told to the driver on my left that he had is high beams ON the conversation went like this:
Me- you have the high beams ON.
him- High beams??? (And then looks at the gauges confused)
M- Yes, You have a blue light ON in your gauges, pull your lever to your left to turn it OFF.
H- (looks at me confused and says) Blue???

He had a thick accent and I think he didn't understood what I was saying to him so I gave up.

PS: English is also my second language.
Exactly, unfortunately you can't fix stupid. So either the dash light are totally off so the idiots know to turn on the lights or they make all lights permanently on like my SAAB 9-5.

Side bar on car tech: My wifes minivan has backup cameras and parking sensors, and my SAAB has two smashed doors. Proof that these systems still rely on a person paying attention. LOL
Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

The "smarter" cars get, the dumber drivers become.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Agreed. The lane change warning on my wife's MB annoys me a lot cause it beeps at me whenever I change lane even though I have more than enough room to do so. But I am very happy to see that little red triangle lights up in the side mirror when I am approaching a car from his/her blind spot.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM
saxony_wu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05 Boxster has all the lights on at all time once the engine starts except the dash lights; which comes on only when the switch is on low beam or packing light position. I was told Porsche set this up for a few year for Canadian models.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

And there are the MORONS with the drop if aftermarket HIDs or LED lights. Those Fn' A-holes deserve a special place in hell too. On top of them, there are the ones that have OE HIDs but aftermarket drop in HIDs in the fog lights and they drive around with the fog lights on all the time. Last but not least, the 'tard Jeep owners with the Truck-Lite replacement sealed beams. Anytime I see a vehicle coming with any combination of the above, I make sure to give them a nice long-beam "thank you".
Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Exactly!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:39 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Bravo! About time. Pet peeve of mine, particularly in dark and foggy conditions so common in my part of the world. I never really understood why motorcycles have the lights on all the time when running, yet cars don't.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:56 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

2021 is only three years away, and only 2 1/2 years away from that model being delivered.
Every night, and really not even night, 5:30 in my 30 min, 6 km drive home. At lease 20% of the cars don't have their lights on.
I honk, I flash my high beams. All these people are just about to get on the highway. Just doing my civic duty. And most of those cars are also civics.
Me? I drive with all my lights on, all the time. Just say no to ninja.
If some yahoo sees my tail lights just a second earlier while they are texting? Them that helps.
60mph is 88 feet per second. 100kph is 27.78 meters per second.

On my snowmobile, during the day? I run my high beams, and dip on approach of others.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
2021 is only three years away, and only 2 1/2 years away from that model being delivered.
Every night, and really not even night, 5:30 in my 30 min, 6 km drive home. At lease 20% of the cars don't have their lights on.
I honk, I flash my high beams. All these people are just about to get on the highway. Just doing my civic duty. And most of those cars are also civics.
Me? I drive with all my lights on, all the time. Just say no to ninja.
If some yahoo sees my tail lights just a second earlier while they are texting? Them that helps.
60mph is 88 feet per second. 100kph is 27.78 meters per second.

On my snowmobile, during the day? I run my high beams, and dip on approach of others.
5:30 isn't dark yet.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
5:30 isn't dark yet.
Now? no.
jan feb, yes.
But anything Dusky, rainny, foggy. All the "y" times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Phantom vehicle" new headlight laws