Notices

Winter Storage on Summer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I noticed that too when I ran v12 evos.... usually worked itself out within the 1st km of driving.
Exactly. Although my drive to work is so short that the steering wheel was shaking for half of the drive
My v12 evos aren't completely worn yet, but I'm still planning on putting Michelins on this spring. Just wish the new Pilot Sport 4S came in the stock 18" sizes.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just put new pilot sport 4S's on this week. Too cold to test but they seem quieter than the Pzero's.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I noticed that too when I ran v12 evos.... usually worked itself out within the 1st km of driving.
I'd bet if you added 1 or 2 additional PSI, this will go away, or be greatly reduced. I have this issue years ago with Kumho tires on my 993.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Reviving a stale thread of mine:

I've contemplated getting a GT car in the future (maybe a 718 Spyder or GT4 when they come out). Such a car would probably come with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or 2R tires, which are prone to cracking in winter temperatures. I have no intention of driving such a car in winter, but wouldn't want to damage the tires just storing it in my unheated garage. What do Canadian GT car owners do to store their cars in the winter? Heated storage facility? Get a second set of winter wheels for storing the car? Swap different tires onto the existing wheels every winter? Switch to leaving regular summer tires year round (eg. Pilot Sport 4S)?

I'd like to continue storing my fun car in my unheated home garage. I sort of enjoy staring at my current Boxster in the winter and sitting in it whenever I feel like. I could switch a future GT car to ordinary summer tires, but that would reduce potential summer performance. To be honest, I don't really need the extra grip, since it would mainly be a street car, so this would probably be the most sensible option based on my current knowledge. However, I certainly don't "need" a GT car to begin with, and there's a certain coolness in my mind to running the best street legal tires
Old 11-01-2018, 11:17 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How cold does your garage get? Mine is unheated (attached), but the ambient temperature inside the garage is usually still above zero just from heat leaking from the house and sunshine. And I have a cheap garage door. I'd be shocked if it ever really fell below -5 degrees. Michelin says to avoid temperatures below -10 degrees so I'm sure you'd be fine.

If your garage gets cold I'd recommend just getting an insulated garage door, and adding an electric heater with a thermostat set to 0 degrees. It would probably never turn on.

Although if your garage isn't connected to your house that might be a different story.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgoertz
How cold does your garage get? Mine is unheated (attached), but the ambient temperature inside the garage is usually still above zero just from heat leaking from the house and sunshine. And I have a cheap garage door. I'd be shocked if it ever really fell below -5 degrees. Michelin says to avoid temperatures below -10 degrees so I'm sure you'd be fine.

If your garage gets cold I'd recommend just getting an insulated garage door, and adding an electric heater with a thermostat set to 0 degrees. It would probably never turn on.

Although if your garage isn't connected to your house that might be a different story.
My garage is attached to the house, and is definitely less cold than the outside. I haven’t monitored temperatures carefully, but I’ve never seen it below -6 when I’ve checked. I’ll keep an eye on it this winter on cold days to see how low it goes. The electric heater and insulated garage door sound like good ideas. I’ve heated my garage up to 12 degrees in mid winter with an electric heater when I want to work in the garage.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Have stored on PS cups forever. Just above freezing. No pads or anything. Zero trouble.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

It's easy to know if you garage ever drops below zero. Get a small bottle of water and put it on the garage floor near the car and see if it freezes. As for having a cheap garage door, you can buy garage door insulating styrofoam at Home depot and the proper glue too, then just cut it to size and glue it to the door panes. This is the first thing I did to mine and it made a HUGE difference.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I take my tires off and store them in the bedroom closet.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Ive stored my summer tires in unheated garage in Toronto for 30 years with no problems ever
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

I inflate to 50lbs and store her on the lift with no issues. If on concrete a put down some foam so the concrete doesn't suck the moisture out of the tires, but that's probably overkill.

I insulated my garage doors and it only gets down to 7 or 8 c when it's super cold out.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

DWS are all seasons anyway,no problem driving year round on them
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1, while not ideal the whole 'no DOT-R in freezing weather' is mostly a CYA for tire manufacturers... have extensively driven on my many DOT-R/slicks including current RT615k+ in -5c without any negative effects

Originally Posted by Ronan
Have stored on PS cups forever. Just above freezing. No pads or anything. Zero trouble.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
+1, while not ideal the whole 'no DOT-R in freezing weather' is mostly a CYA for tire manufacturers... have extensively driven on my many DOT-R/slicks including current RT615k+ in -5c without any negative effects
Good to know. I don’t plan on driving on such tires below freezing, but as long as the tires don’t go bad at around -2 or -3 degrees, I should be fine. I’ll probably put a heater in the garage with a thermostat set around zero as suggested just to be safe on the coldest days.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage on Summer Tires