Notices

Storage to E Test at J Lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:49 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Storage to E Test at J Lube

Let the 911 down off its winter lift today to take it for my E test. I needed it to renew my sticker as of beginning of March. I went to Jiffy Lube, sticker expired and no ownership as I like to take risks. The JL tech said ownership was not required, but asked if it was just out of storage and how far had I driven it. Long enough to bring the oil up to temp. He asked if it was on a tender and had the battery voltage gotten low or dead. He said sometimes it will throw a not ready code if it has, and then I would have to pay for a second test after driving it what he suggested 100 km and more than 5 times. (he had a MB that he had to test something like 3 times before it give a result). I know the tender was good all winter and for $ 17.50, the 911 fired up like a champ just 15 mins earlier so I said" I like to gamble so go for it". Passed with no problems, but all it was, was a read of the ECM for codes. I was pleasantly surprised being asked all the questions and informed consent before the test.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I had an e-test done last weekend at Oil changer for my other car. I was watching the computer screen as the tech click a bunch of OKs with the mouse. I notice the MTO program is reading a bunch of non-emission related data on the ECU such as speed. Yes I saw a message flashed by the screen saying "reading vehicle speed", not sure what was that all about. Hum.... Big brother maybe watching
Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 PM
EPOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is e-test not free now? Thought that changed last year.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EPOS
Is e-test not free now? Thought that changed last year.
The first one is free, if the car posted not ready , I would have had to pay 17.50 for any subsequent ones
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

lol, they would assume the computer was broken...
Originally Posted by lowbee
I had an e-test done last weekend at Oil changer for my other car. I was watching the computer screen as the tech click a bunch of OKs with the mouse. I notice the MTO program is reading a bunch of non-emission related data on the ECU such as speed. Yes I saw a message flashed by the screen saying "reading vehicle speed", not sure what was that all about. Hum.... Big brother maybe watching
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my etest done a couple of weeks ago when we hit that 12C high and knowing my luck the rest of the month would end up hovering around 2C (SEE, SEE!!!) I got it done for the end of this month so I could park the 996 and then send away for the tag in the meantime. Anyway... While I was getting the test at a Master Mechanic next door to the etest *only* place that I used to get the test done - that is now out of business.... The Master Mechanic owner told me that almost every eTest *only* facility closed down this year mainly because the Government ended the test for ownership transfers as well. He said that put the final nail in the coffin as the business dried up. He told me that because the Government has to pay garages for each test but doesn't get a penny from you, (if you pass) that along with the no test for transfers they are probably going to just cancel the eTest system within a year or two. Something like 98% of cars are now passing and the test is seen as a money draining item in the Governments budget. Interesting that as soon as it isn't financially worth it to them - that they might cancel it. Look at all those years they ripped us off.... The only hurdle seen is the yelling from the 'greenies" that will only hear 'clean air testing ending' and not the fact that the program has run its course and isn't contributing to reducing pollution further. I think I heard cow's farting causes more environmental issues. Test THEM!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

when the 996tt came out, it was the first 'supercar' to clean the air in any of the world's major cities... think how 'green' stuff has come since... etest is a waste of time/money/resources
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

It's been a while since I lived in Ontario but wasn't it that even if you failed all you needed was a quote saying it was going to cost over a certain amount and then you didn't need to fix it?
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
It's been a while since I lived in Ontario but wasn't it that even if you failed all you needed was a quote saying it was going to cost over a certain amount and then you didn't need to fix it?
No it was never like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Indeed. I misunderstood the rules. It is if you exceed a certain amount you get 2 years to fix it.

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-if-i...epaircostlimit
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Yeah, I think they gave you one chance to spend up to $500 (or was it a bit higher?) to fix an issue but upon the next renewal period that option was taken away and you had to have a permanent fix no matter what it cost you or the car wouldn't receive a tag. You also couldn't do a transfer to someone else or the car had to be fixed to pass without any conditional pass if you did transfer it. That was to get around the merry go round of transferring it to the spouse or kids or friends every two years. What I've always found crazy was the no safety required if you transfer your car to your spouse. The theory being you wouldn't want to give ownership of a dangerous car to your spouse... Seems like I saw that on a Colombo rerun once...
Old 03-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
...... What I've always found crazy was the no safety required if you transfer your car to your spouse. The theory being you wouldn't want to give ownership of a dangerous car to your spouse.....
Are you sure about this?
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Need an e test also. Mine expired in January. Weathers still to crap to drive in, so end of the month maybe.....
Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Are you sure about this?
The no safety for transfer to your spouse? Yes very sure about it... The Colombo part?? Not so sure.

From: https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-...-family-member

Highlighted Section:

You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre: Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
The no safety for transfer to your spouse? Yes very sure about it... The Colombo part?? Not so sure.

From: https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-...-family-member

Highlighted Section:

You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre: Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Storage to E Test at J Lube