Notices

Cayman GT4s at Pfaff - input appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:16 PM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayman GT4s at Pfaff - input appreciated!

I've been looking at the 981 Cayman GT4 since it came out, not being in a position to get an allocation when new (like most), and then waiting (and waiting some more) for pricing in the used market to fall into the realm of reason. It seems that they are finally creeping down to the point where there are several options below the $120k mark, so I'm now looking more seriously. There seem to be quite a few cars in Ontario at the moment, including four at Pfaff, ranging from $107k to $127k, and a few others at dealers or private sales.

My intention would be to buy a GT4 as a CPO from a Porsche dealer, preferring to keep to the lower end of the pricing spectrum because the pricing seems to be heavily driven by mileage - for example, at around $110k, the mileage is about 20k km, and then you pay another $15k to get something with about 5k km, regardless of options. That seems like a lot of extra money for the difference in mileage. Obviously not all mileage is the same as some of these cars may have seen heavy track use - for example, the yellow GT4 at Pfaff was spec'd without A/C, so my assumption is that it was likely used (or intended to be used) for track work. I would be taking the car to the track several times a season, but it would mostly be used for DD and back road jaunts.

My questions are as follows:
(1) Is getting a PPI still the prevailing wisdom, even when buying CPO from a dealer? I assume the answer is yes, but just wanted to confirm. If so, can you share recommendations for a PPI close to Pfaff?
(2) Assuming a PPI is done, anything specific to ask about on a GT4? I know of the 3rd gear issue for Jan-Apr 2016 production, and that front strut tower failure is a less common issue, particularly for tracked cars.
(3) Over-rev reports: if the dealer runs an over-rev report, can that be relied upon or should I get an over-rev as part of the PDI as well?

Finally, any thoughts on specs/options? I would really like to get PCCB for the reduced brake dust alone, and the buckets have always called to me, but other than that, the rest of the options mostly seem to be aesthetic preference and/or interior finishes. The cheapest option on the market is a car without a/c, which is not a deal-breaker, but certainly not something I would have opted for if I had the choice myself. I imagine that may impact future resale/trade value as its a bit of a die-hard option most people wouldn't appreciate.

Thanks in advance all!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

call Micheal ladrew at downtown Porsche. he has a line on a black gt4. priced very well..
Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MFT
I've been looking at the 981 Cayman GT4 since it came out, not being in a position to get an allocation when new (like most), and then waiting (and waiting some more) for pricing in the used market to fall into the realm of reason. It seems that they are finally creeping down to the point where there are several options below the $120k mark, so I'm now looking more seriously. There seem to be quite a few cars in Ontario at the moment, including four at Pfaff, ranging from $107k to $127k, and a few others at dealers or private sales.

My intention would be to buy a GT4 as a CPO from a Porsche dealer, preferring to keep to the lower end of the pricing spectrum because the pricing seems to be heavily driven by mileage - for example, at around $110k, the mileage is about 20k km, and then you pay another $15k to get something with about 5k km, regardless of options. That seems like a lot of extra money for the difference in mileage. Obviously not all mileage is the same as some of these cars may have seen heavy track use - for example, the yellow GT4 at Pfaff was spec'd without A/C, so my assumption is that it was likely used (or intended to be used) for track work. I would be taking the car to the track several times a season, but it would mostly be used for DD and back road jaunts.

My questions are as follows:
(1) Is getting a PPI still the prevailing wisdom, even when buying CPO from a dealer? I assume the answer is yes, but just wanted to confirm. If so, can you share recommendations for a PPI close to Pfaff?
(2) Assuming a PPI is done, anything specific to ask about on a GT4? I know of the 3rd gear issue for Jan-Apr 2016 production, and that front strut tower failure is a less common issue, particularly for tracked cars.
(3) Over-rev reports: if the dealer runs an over-rev report, can that be relied upon or should I get an over-rev as part of the PDI as well?

Finally, any thoughts on specs/options? I would really like to get PCCB for the reduced brake dust alone, and the buckets have always called to me, but other than that, the rest of the options mostly seem to be aesthetic preference and/or interior finishes. The cheapest option on the market is a car without a/c, which is not a deal-breaker, but certainly not something I would have opted for if I had the choice myself. I imagine that may impact future resale/trade value as its a bit of a die-hard option most people wouldn't appreciate.

Thanks in advance all!
Good luck in your quest, IMHO the GT4 is a great car.

Personally I'd buy the lower Km's vehicle with air conditioning and ceramic brakes. Not sure if you need a PPI if the vehicle has CPO.
Ask for the over rev report, helps in your buying decision. Having said that, the motors are well built and almost everybody with a standard transmission has overrevs, and rarely do you hear of engines blowing.

Having said all that, there is a strong rumour of a new GT 4 yet to be announced with more hp, based upon the new racecar. Not sure if that will change your decision, it changed mine.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Prices have come down a lot since I bought a year ago (I bought a garage queen and it has remained a garage queen despite me loving to drive it!).

Id see if you can get the new one that's coming out. The prices you are seeing are probably still around MSRP. You might be able to get a new one at MSRP - maybe.

If you cant get a new one, figure out what color of 981 you want, if you want seats or not, high (20k) mileage or not, and the rest is mostly a wash. There's a bunch of GT4s available now because of the new car - which may be this year or may be next. Itll be a slightly better evolution of a great car. You cant go wrong either way but you can probably do the best with the new car at MSRP, if you can.

New car looks like 420hp either via a better breathing 3.8 with a slightly bumped red line or a 4.0 with a slightly lower red line. Speculation is that 6sp to start and then a PDK option later. My biggest questions are around pricing as Porsche could have sold just as many at a much higher price than the previous car. I don't think that you will see the same frenzy around the new car as you did the previous based upon the new GT3 market...….But who knows
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 PM
sweetsound
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at 981 GT4's but couldn't get past the fact I could get a brand new 718 GTS spec'd to my liking for less money. (and how much more useable power the turbo offers)
Fully appreciate they are quite different cars but to (your) points about previous use history - (and my present intent is to keep the car for a long time) knowing every little detail about the car ended up being one of the deciding factors.
My new vehicle is coming from Pfaff in the next month or so - if you pull the trigger on a GT4 - it would be cool to meet up and compare notes. :-)
Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Bought one last year, don't have it anymore. Fantastic car, you will enjoy it. LWB are a great option to have. Mine didn't have them. Seats were good but would've preferred LWB for track and just a sense of occasion with those seats.

You have the main issues on GT4 called out. Other than that all the standard PPI stuff mechanical, DME, paint, collisions.

You are probably in a good position to negotiate as some of the cars have been sitting for some time.

EU Autowerks did my PPI on the 997.2 and have had them do some other work on that car. Fair prices and good service from Courtney and a couple others there. They are near Pfaff.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM
sweetsound
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you havn't seen this one....
GT4 (slightly modified unfortunately) first and then 718GTS at ~ 7:20
Old 03-07-2019, 11:38 AM
domkrz
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

There’s definitely some negotiating room out there, I’m taking delivery of my GT4 from Porsche Oakville next weekend. Really excited! The car has 22K kms on it but I’m planning on driving it and not looking at it in the garage, so I didn’t wanna spend more money on a super low km example.

The 718 may have more torque but it definitely won’t feel as special as a GT4, I didn’t even consider a 718 GTS since it sounds like ****e IMO.

As for the new GT4 coming out, by the time that comes out you could have enjoyed the 981 Gt4 all summer long. The MSRP will also most definitely be higher than the last iteration of GT4, so I don’t think it’ll put a huge dent on current GT4 prices. OP, I finally pulled the trigger after all this time as well, I loved the car when it was first released and I’m excited to finally get in one. If you go through with buying we need to meet up and go for some cruises! Best of luck in your journey.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by domkrz
There’s definitely some negotiating room out there, I’m taking delivery of my GT4 from Porsche Oakville next weekend. Really excited! The car has 22K kms on it but I’m planning on driving it and not looking at it in the garage, so I didn’t wanna spend more money on a super low km example.

The 718 may have more torque but it definitely won’t feel as special as a GT4, I didn’t even consider a 718 GTS since it sounds like ****e IMO.

As for the new GT4 coming out, by the time that comes out you could have enjoyed the 981 Gt4 all summer long. The MSRP will also most definitely be higher than the last iteration of GT4, so I don’t think it’ll put a huge dent on current GT4 prices. OP, I finally pulled the trigger after all this time as well, I loved the car when it was first released and I’m excited to finally get in one. If you go through with buying we need to meet up and go for some cruises! Best of luck in your journey.
White?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM
domkrz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
White?
Yes! Do you know the car?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:51 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

White for the win! Here is a quick shot of mine. LOVE LOVE LOVE
the buckets

Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 PM
domkrz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
White for the win! Here is a quick shot of mine. LOVE LOVE LOVE
the buckets

beautiful! My car has the buckets and platinum wheels as well. Is it Carrera white or just my basic 0Q white? Regardless I love it! I’ll post up a thread and pics when I pick up next weekend😁
Old 03-07-2019, 09:55 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Mine is basic white. I wish I had black wheels and black uprights but otherwise perfect spec for me.

OP, have your tried to get on the list for the new car?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:13 AM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henley1
call Micheal ladrew at downtown Porsche. he has a line on a black gt4. priced very well..
Thanks! Reached out and we're chatting.

Originally Posted by TurboS
Good luck in your quest, IMHO the GT4 is a great car.

Personally I'd buy the lower Km's vehicle with air conditioning and ceramic brakes. Not sure if you need a PPI if the vehicle has CPO.
Ask for the over rev report, helps in your buying decision. Having said that, the motors are well built and almost everybody with a standard transmission has overrevs, and rarely do you hear of engines blowing.

Having said all that, there is a strong rumour of a new GT 4 yet to be announced with more hp, based upon the new racecar. Not sure if that will change your decision, it changed mine.
Prices have come down a lot since I bought a year ago (I bought a garage queen and it has remained a garage queen despite me loving to drive it!).

Id see if you can get the new one that's coming out. The prices you are seeing are probably still around MSRP. You might be able to get a new one at MSRP - maybe.

If you cant get a new one, figure out what color of 981 you want, if you want seats or not, high (20k) mileage or not, and the rest is mostly a wash. There's a bunch of GT4s available now because of the new car - which may be this year or may be next. Itll be a slightly better evolution of a great car. You cant go wrong either way but you can probably do the best with the new car at MSRP, if you can.

New car looks like 420hp either via a better breathing 3.8 with a slightly bumped red line or a 4.0 with a slightly lower red line. Speculation is that 6sp to start and then a PDK option later. My biggest questions are around pricing as Porsche could have sold just as many at a much higher price than the previous car. I don't think that you will see the same frenzy around the new car as you did the previous based upon the new GT3 market...….But who knows
Mine is basic white. I wish I had black wheels and black uprights but otherwise perfect spec for me.

OP, have your tried to get on the list for the new car?
Based on forum chatter, I haven't bothered to even ask about an allocation for a 718 GT4 - if I could get an allocation, I'd hold off and wait for a 718, but I'm guessing my chances are slim to none (tending towards none).

Originally Posted by sweetsound
I looked at 981 GT4's but couldn't get past the fact I could get a brand new 718 GTS spec'd to my liking for less money. (and how much more useable power the turbo offers)
Fully appreciate they are quite different cars but to (your) points about previous use history - (and my present intent is to keep the car for a long time) knowing every little detail about the car ended up being one of the deciding factors.
My new vehicle is coming from Pfaff in the next month or so - if you pull the trigger on a GT4 - it would be cool to meet up and compare notes. :-)
Good luck!
Sounds good! I think the 718 GTS is a great car and it seems like it's getting rave reviews. But, I think the GT4 is a bit of a halo/dream car for me, so that's partly what's driving my decision. But, if I can't find a good option, might take a look at the GTS, particularly since you can order it with the sport buckets now!

Originally Posted by SToronto
Bought one last year, don't have it anymore. Fantastic car, you will enjoy it. LWB are a great option to have. Mine didn't have them. Seats were good but would've preferred LWB for track and just a sense of occasion with those seats.

You have the main issues on GT4 called out. Other than that all the standard PPI stuff mechanical, DME, paint, collisions.

You are probably in a good position to negotiate as some of the cars have been sitting for some time.

EU Autowerks did my PPI on the 997.2 and have had them do some other work on that car. Fair prices and good service from Courtney and a couple others there. They are near Pfaff.
Thanks for the recommendation. If I get further with the Pfaff cars, I'll reach out to EU Autowerks for a PPI.

Originally Posted by domkrz

Yeah, the earliest a 718 GT4 lands is late this year (just in time for winter), and since I'm not even on an allocation list anywhere, I can drive a 981 GT4 this summer and see what next summer brings.

Thanks all for the great feedback!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 AM
MFT
Rennlist Member

So, update on one of the GT4s I was looking at: there are over-revs in ranges 1-5, specifically:

Range 1: 363 ignitions @ 318 hours
Range 2: 10 @ 127 hours
Range 3: 12 @ 127 hours
Range 4: 36 @ 127 hours
Range 5: 77 @ 127 hours
Range 6: 0 @ 127 hours

The car currently has 566 hours (20k+ kms), so it's been over 400 hours since over-revs in ranges 2-5, and they all happened at the exact same time, so obviously just one event. The range 1 values seem to be a few times when it's been redlined.

Seems that dealer may still be able to CPO it because so many hours have passed since the Range 2-5 event. Not sure the risks given how long ago it was, and if under warranty then it seems that the greatest risk is to re-sale value.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4s at Pfaff - input appreciated!