Notices

OT - Garage design / build contractor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 AM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OT - Garage design / build contractor

Looking to add a garage to our home in Toronto. Lot is narrow at 18' but looking to use all the width off the laneway for an 18' x 24' double car garage. Did a search and got a lot of ideas to consider in the planning phase. Not looking for a dream garage, just something to keep the cars dry and to tinker. Aiming at $40 - $45 per sq.ft.

Wondering if anyone has experience and recommendation for a design / build contractor?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Following.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Also following. I’m planning on taking down an existing 20x22 garage, enlarging slightly and building up with a laneway house above the garage.

Im guessing $20k isn’t going to be an attractive design/build firm to take on. But I’m sure there are contractors out there that will do it.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Sorry to piggyback but it's related.

Looking for a reasonably priced structural engineer to complete an assessment and drawings to modify my garage truss to accommodate a vehicle lift.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Have you looked at the zoning of your area?
You will need a permit. It’s a bit of a process.

I
Old 03-06-2018, 03:49 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Best thing is just go on line and do a search for a BCIN designer (Building Code Identification Number). Unless you do the design yourself you'll probably need somebody with that designation. If you are brave you can do it all yourself as a garage is easy to do. Start with a trip to city hall and the building department and they tell you the side sets (minimum distances from the lot lines) The roof will need to be built from engineered trusses and if you bring your drawings to a lumber supplier they'll send your sketch to the Truss Company who will supply you with a quote and engineered drawings (stamped) That's what you'll need to get a permit from the building department. Generally all the foregoing is done by the General Contractor and all you do then is write a cheque. But as i wrote a garage is easy to do on your own., it's just takes some leg work.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there anything there? otherwise, might be hard to get 18ft on 18ft lot without COA. There will be some sort of set back zoning. If theres others on your lane at full width, will be easier. height will probably set at 4 meters thats pretty standard for a "accessory" building in Toronto. pricing all depends on finishing inside, heat type (if any), doors and so on. the roof can be handcut/trusses. either or.. id think for that size hand cut would be better...as getting the trusses into the lane and up might be a issue and for the size you wont be saving much or anything. maybe flat roof?? will help control water SHED... the city wont be crazy about a gable roof shooting water on either of the side a joining properties. Lastley under 500 sqft..(which you are). can be built on a king slab no frost line footing needed by code. sent you a pm.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Henley, will check PM when home, mobile not opening drop down .

There is currently a 10x10 shed on the property which I would blow out and the garage would cover part of the same land .Would like to reclaim some backyard.
​​​​​
From my zoning review (amateur) it seems I can getaway with no setback to adjacent property but need 2.5m to centre of laneway which is fine because I wanted a parallel parking spot at the bottom of garage for visitors and car washes.

Would happily do interior finishing (drywall, epoxy floor, etc.) myself to save $. I've already sketched out a concept but have no time to deal with permits, etc.

Keep it coming! Ideas welcome from a damn I wish I thought of that perspective for planning.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a contact . They did mine 2 years ago. we had a 10 x 10 shack and he took it down and build a 20 x 20 garage. the full width of the lot. I want to go 20 x 24 but the city wouldn't because of green space needed. He was very affordable. I am in the high park area and the garage is accessed through a lane way. If you want to come see it shoot em a PM. I think we needed 6inches on either side of the garage for code. The building inspector is an older gentleman for my area and a real stickler. Everything needed to be perfect with him.

Chris
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by fenixv8

There is so much beauty in this world.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto

Looking for a reasonably priced structural engineer to complete an assessment and drawings to modify my garage truss to accommodate a vehicle lift.
I used K.H. Davis when removing some supporting walls in a property

Originally Posted by fenixv8
I have a contact . They did mine 2 years ago. we had a 10 x 10 shack and he took it down and build a 20 x 20 garage. the full width of the lot. I want to go 20 x 24 but the city wouldn't because of green space needed. He was very affordable. I am in the high park area and the garage is accessed through a lane way. If you want to come see it shoot em a PM. I think we needed 6inches on either side of the garage for code. The building inspector is an older gentleman for my area and a real stickler. Everything needed to be perfect with him.

Chris
​​​​​​​Chris, would you also share their info with me?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

There are also a ton of fine details withing the building code.
Close to the lot line? It maybe subject to fire code.
Fire code? You can't use 1/2 drywall, It must be 5/8th. I believe.
I did plywood and painted it. No dents, and I can hang anything anywhere.
Per finished foot, it costed out close enough.
In my dream garage? Hot and clod water, cable and phoneline.
Alarm, maybe heated floor. Insulated, lift, music and TV.
Keep the photo's coming. I like spending vicariously.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto

You might ask the truss supplier. They do the designs in-house and will usually include the service if you buy the new trusses there. If you plan to remove existing trusses and hand frame roof joists, the truss designer is still a good source, but probably not free. 😉
Old 03-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If your gunna do it. Its nice to add a liitle character.

Quick Reply: OT - Garage design / build contractor