Notices

BC luxury tax surcharge

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:07 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I bought my car back in November, the vehicle tax is a bad move. Foreign purchaser / speculator tax? That is a good move, actually. The bubble price of real estate is seeping into everything and the cost of living is getting rediculous. Do you know how hard it is to hire in Vancouver?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be to try make money on all these kids in Lambo's & Ferrari's -who money is no object to them ( or their wealthy parents) -

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ferra...-ban-july-2017

But yeah it kinda messes with everybody who works hard and wants a nice Porsche etc...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
Isn't there a hike in insurance premiums coming soon too?
A much needed one too. In BC you have the worst drivers (highest collision frequency) with highest cost insurance regime (full tort), basically a recipe for disaster.

First I hear about the luxury vehicle tax in BC, ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
Isn't there a hike in insurance premiums coming soon too?
I believe there has been 2 rate adjustments since Nov 2017. Most won't see this until they renew this year.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 AM
beetleything
Racer

Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
A much needed one too. In BC you have the worst drivers (highest collision frequency) with highest cost insurance regime (full tort), basically a recipe for disaster.

First I hear about the luxury vehicle tax in BC, ridiculous.
Uh- i will agree there are A LOT of bad drivers but it didn't help the last lot in power helping themselves to the ICBC coffers - they 'lost" - what - $1 bn in a year - roughly $10M a month - yeah - crazy...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 AM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I live and work in BC but I also have real estate in AB. I also have an AB driver's license.
When I bought my new 997 Turbo from an Ontario dealer I did not pay ONT tax. I paid the BC tax when I registered and plated it in BC.
Perhaps I can do the same and have the new car shipped to AB. Have it registered and plated and pay AB tax. Then ship the car to BC and register it to avoid the tax. Is this possible??
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

That's crazy. So if you buy a GT3 for $170k you will pay $42500 in additional tax? The same car in Alberta would cost $8500 in tax. I couldn't pay that much tax as much as I like GT3's.

I'm sure that wherever you buy the car as soon as you try to register it in BC they will want their tax money.

The way things are going, soon the government will just take all our money up front and then decide how much we get back each month. I think there is a name for this already. I guess BC thinks you should take the bus to work. Stop working hard and investing because if you get ahead they will want it. I have younger adults working for me who want to get laid off when things are a bit slow because they would rather take a pay cut and collect ei while sitting at home. I worked 2 jobs to pay my tuition, but I'm starting to think they have it right. I guess you can spend the extra money saved self medicating while riding the bus.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
That's crazy. So if you buy a GT3 for $170k you will pay $42500 in additional tax? The same car in Alberta would cost $8500 in tax. I couldn't pay that much tax as much as I like GT3's.

I'm sure that wherever you buy the car as soon as you try to register it in BC they will want their tax money.

The way things are going, soon the government will just take all our money up front and then decide how much we get back each month. I think there is a name for this already. I guess BC thinks you should take the bus to work. Stop working hard and investing because if you get ahead they will want it. I have younger adults working for me who want to get laid off when things are a bit slow because they would rather take a pay cut and collect ei while sitting at home. I worked 2 jobs to pay my tuition, but I'm starting to think they have it right. I guess you can spend the extra money saved self medicating while riding the bus.
They do have it right, ignorance is bliss in this world. LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM
beetleything
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Chris
I live and work in BC but I also have real estate in AB. I also have an AB driver's license.
When I bought my new 997 Turbo from an Ontario dealer I did not pay ONT tax. I paid the BC tax when I registered and plated it in BC.
Perhaps I can do the same and have the new car shipped to AB. Have it registered and plated and pay AB tax. Then ship the car to BC and register it to avoid the tax. Is this possible??
I think you can plate it and insure it in AB and drive it here in BC. I see plenty AB plates here & big plus no front plate for the wild rose plates
Old 02-22-2018, 01:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I believe it is ok if your primary address is in AB, insurance and plated for AB.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-08-2022)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been done and redone. There are special rules limiting transferring and gifting for this situation. Have a read of the fine print to see how you can bring it over. Some people plate AB and drive it here and that's a big no-no if you get caught and can't prove that it spends most of it's life in AB. again.. fine print.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-08-2022)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I guess BC thinks you should take the bus to work.
Yes, the NDP/Green government thinks personal vehicles are evil, and that everyone in BC lives in GVRD/Victoria and has access to decent public transit.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I wonder how that would affect Tesla purchases, or a 918 for that matter?
They are "green cars" after all. LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edited:

Not sure how increasing tax on the $50k-60k stuff even relates to the populist reasoning behind the increase.. Oh wait, $$$$$$$

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/25-per-cent-is-a-big-number-bc-luxury-car-dealers-brace-for-impact-of-new-surtax/ar-BBJr6oM?li=AA54rW&ocid=spartanntp

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 02-22-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

My friend just bought a boat. 300K+. You car tax problems are trivial.

Quick Reply: BC luxury tax surcharge