Notices

BC luxury tax surcharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:53 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
Agreed. Looking to move the family to BC as soon as I find work out there. Not much Aerospace in the area and other large scale manufacturers are cautious about the transferable skill set. After this never ending winter (snowed last night) in Toronto, I'm itching to get out there. I want to drive the 911 on the sea to sky too. Feel like the driving roads out there are going to be epic!
the roads are epic. Sea to sky gets pretty crowded so PCA has a drive every second Saturday meeting at 7am in West Van and it goes to Squamish. Regularly get close to 100 cars out! Then we go to breakfast in North Van. There’s a great PCA community here too - as epic as the roads!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Let's not get carried away.
My bad...
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker

the roads are epic. Sea to sky gets pretty crowded so PCA has a drive every second Saturday meeting at 7am in West Van and it goes to Squamish. Regularly get close to 100 cars out! Then we go to breakfast in North Van. There’s a great PCA community here too - as epic as the roads!
For some reason I thought they met at 5:30am and thus never tried to make it.

But yes, BC is not all that bad. It's actually pretty great, even despite the current ruling party. I lived in 3 places in the US and in Toronto, and Vancouver beats every other place. Yes, Bay Area (SF) weather is better for the most part and there is more civilization there, but everything else is **** - traffic, taxes (as high as BC, but you get absolutely nothing to show for it), infrastructure, crime, etc. Toronto - on the one hand, it's bigger, has more variety of everything and is more clean and orderly, but on the other hand you have to drive 2 hours in traffic from downtown just to get to a mediocre hill to mountain bike (never mind skiing - that requires hopping on a plane), and there is seemingly endless winter with my all-time favorite freezing rain.

BC gives you mild winter with plenty of snowy mountains to play, a summer that's never too hot, everything you can think of to do outdoors just minutes away, great driving roads, and postcard-grade views out of every regular $10M+ home in West Van (that last point was sarcasm, though).
Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

You’re correct, I think departure is 6:30. I show up at 6:15 as I live just down the hill!

Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You’re correct, I think departure is 6:30. I show up at 6:15 as I live just down the hill!

Bob's breakfast club is the name i believe.... it is too early for me. Im holding out for Bob's brunch!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:07 AM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do agree BC has some wonderful roads. I have not driven much on the lower mainland or the various islands, but my guess is you folks have lots of great routes to choose from. The SE part of the Province is my summer ‘Hood’. The Spring and the Fall are the best, virtully no tourists so the roads are mostly wide open. I was out there last week, I did not have my P-Cars, well I did have our Cayenne-S, but our little MX-5 is still a blast on Hwy 3A.

Our local PCA group is made up of my wifes 981-S and my 991.2 TTS Cab P-Cars are a rare sight, I often get asked at the local stores what the cars are. I was loading up the Boxster one day at the local Crawford Bay grocery store, I had the trunk and frunk open, a young local lad walked by and looked in both, and with puzzled look asked where the F is the engine?

The wifie has talked me into giving our BC summer home rebuild one more try, so we are now in talks with a local Nelson based Timber Frame builder. Time will tell, I was still pushing for a summer move 2 hours south to northern ID.

I just read today Vancouver now has the highest gas prices in all of North Amercia, Congratulations
Old 04-30-2018, 11:33 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I do agree BC has some wonderful roads. I have not driven much on the lower mainland or the various islands, but my guess is you folks have lots of great routes to choose from. The SE part of the Province is my summer ‘Hood’. The Spring and the Fall are the best, virtully no tourists so the roads are mostly wide open. I was out there last week, I did not have my P-Cars, well I did have our Cayenne-S, but our little MX-5 is still a blast on Hwy 3A.

Our local PCA group is made up of my wifes 981-S and my 991.2 TTS Cab P-Cars are a rare sight, I often get asked at the local stores what the cars are. I was loading up the Boxster one day at the local Crawford Bay grocery store, I had the trunk and frunk open, a young local lad walked by and looked in both, and with puzzled look asked where the F is the engine?

The wifie has talked me into giving our BC summer home rebuild one more try, so we are now in talks with a local Nelson based Timber Frame builder. Time will tell, I was still pushing for a summer move 2 hours south to northern ID.

I just read today Vancouver now has the highest gas prices in all of North Amercia, Congratulations
Yes highest gas prices and going up.

You may want to check into the new BC "speculation" tax. While it may not apply to your area as soon as the NDP figure out how easy it is to get more money all of BC will likely be taxed.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ta...lation-tax.pdf

Give it a couple of years and BC will be in a full blown recession. A lot of my investment funds already went south a few years ago.

When the attitude of government (Fed or Prov) is to tax and tax some more without any thought to income generation we are doomed.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Yes highest gas prices and going up.

You may want to check into the new BC "speculation" tax. While it may not apply to your area as soon as the NDP figure out how easy it is to get more money all of BC will likely be taxed.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ta...lation-tax.pdf

Give it a couple of years and BC will be in a full blown recession. A lot of my investment funds already went south a few years ago.

When the attitude of government (Fed or Prov) is to tax and tax some more without any thought to income generation we are doomed.
B.C is asking for problems and the NDP do not have the solutions. They are merely adding fuel to the fire.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I put $1.75 gas in my GT4 yesterday. BRUTAL.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Put a positive spin on it - you get to experience one of the elements of European delivery (Euro gas prices) without having to get on a plane.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Notice the gap between 91 and 87 has grown.

I expect to see $2 / litre for 91 by this summer.

One thing Horgan has been saying recently is that there is a lack of refineries and that perhaps we should not be shipping out our jobs by sending un-refined products.

Love to see how Horgan is going to build any new refineries with the Weaver on his tail.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964

Love to see how Horgan is going to build any new refineries with the Weaver on his tail.
That would depend on how deep Weaver is in his tail...
Old 05-01-2018, 02:07 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Mr. Weaver has stated that he would support refined products being shipped through.
From my simple understanding, the world has excess refining capacity at the moment. So any refinery will be subsidized by the government. So the tax payer is paying one way or another.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
Mr. Weaver has stated that he would support refined products being shipped through.
From my simple understanding, the world has excess refining capacity at the moment. So any refinery will be subsidized by the government. So the tax payer is paying one way or another.
http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/news...t-of-the-world

There's actually a very good reason why North America's refining hub is in Louisianna and Texas, and not Alberta. That's because large volumes of refined products can only be transported by ship, not pipelines. Refining crude oil is actually a low margin business, especially when crude oil prices are high. It is not uncommon for refineries to make only a few dollars of profit for every barrel produced. That's why refineries need economy of scale. They're just not profitable to operate on a small scale. To be profitable, refineries need to be big - very big.Refineries located in land-locked areas produce products for local consumption, such as gasoline, diesel and jet-fuel, which are transported to the end user by truck. The Edmonton refineries supply almost all of Alberta and parts of BC and Saskatchewan, but not too much further. The new North West Upgrader/Refinery will produce diesel for the province and naphtha for the oil sands. The project has been heavily criticized for being a taxpayer subsidized workfare program which may never generate revenue for the province.Texas has one very important geographic advantage over Alberta - it isn't land locked. Sadly, despite cultural similarities, Alberta ain't no Texas, and likely never will be.But Texas can also be a great example of what Alberta could be. The Texas state government is very aware of their reliance on the oil industry for jobs, government revenues and prosperity. Texas has one of the lowest overall taxation rates in the US. The state does not levy corporate or income taxes (yes, you read that right - no income taxes in Texas). Best of all, Texas has done a great job diversifying its economy, siphoning thousands of high-tech jobs from California and offering capital-friendly incentives to any businesses willing to move to the state. Most importantly, the Texas government doesn't threaten to make life more difficult for its oil sector. It proudly accepts its position in the world as an energy superpower and doesn't make apologies for it.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shotor
Not an oil industry guy so I am likely out to lunch here but I was not thinking of shipping refined product thru Vancouver but of building the mother of all refineries so we can refine the Alberta crude.

But subsequent posts of those more informed on the business of refineries indicate it is a losing proposition.

Oh well I guess I will be paying over $2 / litre at the pump with no end in sight.

One would figure that if we have the highest prices in NA more gas would find their way here due to the excess profits (yes I know a lot of the price we pay is in taxes).

Quick Reply: BC luxury tax surcharge