Notices

Shipping car from USA to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Shipping car from USA to Canada

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but I couldn't find exactly the information I was looking for through searching.

There is a car in California that I am interested in and although it's not really that far to go down and drive it home to BC, the time involved doesn't fit into my schedule. So, can anyone recommend a good shipper/broker to make this easy and painless? Is there anything that I would need to do regarding importation or do most shippers/brokers take care of this for you? I'm sure that there's a fee for this service, is it considerably less expensive to broker the car yourself as opposed to letting a company do it for you? What about having the shipper deliver the car to the border as opposed to bringing it all the way into Canada for you?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Interested in what you find out as well. TFX is a highly regarded Mississauga based transport company, I looked into them years back on bringing a BC car to ON. Didn't use because I didn't buy the car after inspection.

Agree it would be simplest if somebody did it all for you. Depending on the fee however.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM
yorkemike
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine shipped up from Florida to a holding yard at the border then drove down with a trailer and picked it up. Cleared it through a customs broker for about $250. It's apparently pretty easy to do yourself but I just didn't want the aggravation of driving down three hours and having problems at the border. It was super easy as they took care of everything and gave me instructions to follow for when I arrived at the Canadian border crossing plus what to tell the American side when I was on my way down.
Mike
Old 02-15-2018, 12:34 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Dana Rhodes at Forward Auto in Victoria as a broker. He's brought 2 cars from the States in for me. He imports/exports cars all the time. I bought a Boxster from California and due to a delay in getting the title from California DOT it was stuck at the border for 4 weeks. Without Dana it would have been a nightmare. I've also used him to purchase/sell 4 other vehicles.
http://forwardcars.com/

Jim
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I used TFX to ship a car from CA to ON. Painless. You may save a few bucks clearing the car yourself but cant imagine its worth the hassle. They dropped the car at my front door
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for all of the good information guys, I really appreciate it.

And Jim, I had no idea that Dana provided that service, very good to know. I need to take my SC down to Gary to get some annoying oil leaks sorted so will chat up Dana while I'm there.

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

TFX brought my car up from CA and did all the work. You have to supply them with the bill of sale, Title, etc of course. They are very good at what they do.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If the vehicle is 15 years old or older, it's RIV exempt and a piece of cake to import. I had an older vehicle transported from California to Blaine, WA and completed all the paperwork myself before taking it across the border. Cannot over-emphasize how easy this was.

If the vehicle is newer than 15 years old, it becomes worth it to pay someone. I hired TFX International to bring another vehicle from Alberta to BC and had a good experience with them. If I were importing another vehicle from the US, they would be on my short list.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you do it, you'll also get a cool RIV sticker inside your driver's side door where the Porsche stickers are.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:31 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

The car in question is a '79 SC so well over the 15 year mark.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus 2 on Dana. Great guy to deal with. He can definitely take care of it for you.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I've imported more cars than I care to count. I would definitely advise hiring a brokerage service - it'll save you a couple hours at the border, well worth the $200. I did it once without a broker, and never since then. Because it's RIV exempt, if you hire a broker there's no reason not to do everything else yourself - it's really simple. It's a fair amount of paperwork, but nothing ridiculous. My experience with transport companies here in ON (including TFX) is that the difference in cost of having them ship it to the border then you taking it from there vs. bringing it across the border and dropping it off to you is about $400-$500. But that's to the Toronto area, which is only an hour and half from the port of entry. I have no idea what the situation is for you in Victoria, but I'd imagine it would have to come in somewhere near Vancouver, so you might be looking at higher transport fees from there to your door. Last time I checked they charged I think around $250 to complete the border paperwork.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

either way it is a simple process. I have done it myself and had TFX bring a car in for me. It is kinda fun to do it yourself, but also fun to have it delivered to you. Since it is over 25 years old, no duty....you have to tell them this as most border workers won't think of this themselves. My advice is to be sure to see the car yourself first.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Aside from the F/X conversion, and assuming a newer used car (European), what are the current costs/fees to import to Canada from the US?

Just curious, if someone knows offhand.

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-17-2018, 01:31 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Importing

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Aside from the F/X conversion, and assuming a newer used car (European), what are the current costs/fees to import to Canada from the US?

Just curious, if someone knows offhand.

Cheers

Matt
This is my crib sheet fr last time

Importation fr USA
  1. - confirm car admissible - see www.riv.ca
  2. - pay online broker to get ITN# (need passport #) www.Autoexports.US
  3. - complete Blaine export docs
  4. - need ORIGINAL title or 2-3 notarized copies, Bill of Sale
  5. recall clearance letter from US manufacturer on Porsche letterhead for eg - ie stating no open recalls
  6. Get ICBC tempor insurance which is NOT effective until get "in-transit permit" from DMV of state car coming from (if u are driving it across).
  7. Once here - provincial inspection - no tinted front windows, need daytime running lights.
If car >15 yrs old, is exempt from RIV procedure

If car >25 yrs old, no 6.1% duty!

fees - RIV approx $200
USA fees - minimal. $50?
PST/GST when get here.

Currency broker about 2% better than bank on exchange

Can use a broker to "trade in" a current car so pay tax on difference but pay 6.1% duty on the full purchase price (have not done this personally)

Quick Reply: Shipping car from USA to Canada