Notices

Ontario resident buying new in Quebec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ontario resident buying new in Quebec?

Anyone done this? There's only one Porsche dealership in Ottawa but three in Montreal. Only and hour and a half down the road so if I can save a few thousand I'd be game as long as there is no tax or plating hassle.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
Anyone done this? There's only one Porsche dealership in Ottawa but three in Montreal. Only and hour and a half down the road so if I can save a few thousand I'd be game as long as there is no tax or plating hassle.
So Mark Motors won't match the price of the Montreal dealers to make a sale?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

You will pay the sales tax when you register to get the plates for the car in Ontario. No way to avoid that.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
So Mark Motors won't match the price of the Montreal dealers to make a sale?
I don't know about how much Mark will discount (yet). Before I send my Porsche codes to the Montreal guys, I'm curious as to how the process might work re the plating and the tax payment. If it's too much of a hassle then I'll just deal with Mark
Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
You will pay the sales tax when you register to get the plates for the car in Ontario. No way to avoid that.
Correct thats what i think. it'll be simply pay the agreed MSRP only to QC dealer and then Pay tax + plating fees in ON where you'll be registering the car.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also Toronto. I bought my 2010 911S from Pfaff. The whole deal was done on line and over the phone. My car was delivered by truck to Ottawa and the same truck picked up my trade. I have never set foot at Pfaff and never met my salesman, a guy by the name of Jimmy, in person.

That being said, my 2006, 2013, and 2017 911's were all purchased from Mark Motors. They are great people to deal with and have excellent service. They can compete with Pfaff. Also keep in mind that if the difference in price is only a thousand or two, it's not worth going to Toronto.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought from Porsche Lauzon and shipped to Toronto. Great experience.... You pay the GST when purchasing and PST when registering in Ontario. Ask for temp plates to drive it back to Ottawa.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 PM
EPOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my GT3 from Calgary porsche and paid GST and bent over at MTO to pay the PST portion. I learned that day that MTO does not have a limit as to how much is charged to a credit card. At least I got some cash back lol
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee1997
There is also Toronto. I bought my 2010 911S from Pfaff. The whole deal was done on line and over the phone. My car was delivered by truck to Ottawa and the same truck picked up my trade. I have never set foot at Pfaff and never met my salesman, a guy by the name of Jimmy, in person.

That being said, my 2006, 2013, and 2017 911's were all purchased from Mark Motors. They are great people to deal with and have excellent service. They can compete with Pfaff. Also keep in mind that if the difference in price is only a thousand or two, it's not worth going to Toronto.
I've never had a good experience at Mark Motors and I'm on my 3rd Porsche. I attempted to purchase all three at MM and was very disappointed with the lying and lack of interest...although I've never dealt with Mike and I heard he's really good.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know about how much Mark will discount (yet). Before I send my Porsche codes to the Montreal guys, I'm curious as to how the process might work re the plating and the tax payment. If it's too much of a hassle then I'll just deal with Mark
I did it last year. You will go to service ontario before picking up the car to pay registration and HST, and pick up your plates. The out of province dealer will sell it to you with no local tax. This was the process for a cash purchase, I believe if there was financing or leasing involved it would be different.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I've never had a good experience at Mark Motors and I'm on my 3rd Porsche. I attempted to purchase all three at MM and was very disappointed with the lying and lack of interest...although I've never dealt with Mike and I heard he's really good.
Maybe the 4th try will be the lucky one.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee1997
Maybe the 4th try will be the lucky one.
Possibly? Given that I can't get a new GT3 I likely won't be a customer in the near future.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Almost 3 years ago, Mark's wouldn't take my deposit on a GT3.2 so I went to Lauzon in Montreal. I received my car in October, one of the first as promised. I dealt with Jean Yves Blanc as my SA. When I picked it up they only charged me for GST and gave me temporary plates. I registered car in Ontario at Service Ontario paying the Ontario PST and received my new plates. If you ask they will go to Hawkesbury and do all the licensing for you. I was ok with doing it myself and got to put the PST on my credit card and get the points. Great experience in dealing with Lauzon. If you buy new you won't need a safety or anything. If you buy used you will need to get an Ontario safety certificate.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:28 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

It's nice to know that this is possible. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:28 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I've bought a few cars at Mark Motors and never had a bad experience throughout the entire process. Had I experienced what others claim I'd certainly look elsewhere.
While I don't doubt the feelings some have towards MM are founded, it also makes me wonder if there is a "whole story", given my polar opposite multiple experiences.
End of the day, spending your hard earned play $$$ where you feel you are being best served is always good choice.

Quick Reply: Ontario resident buying new in Quebec?