Shipping options to Buffalo for large item

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Shipping options to Buffalo for large item

Hey Guys,

I've ordered a rebuilt transaxle from a shop in Maryland and I need to have it shipped to Buffalo so i can pick it up there to bring it across the border.
I need to be able to pick it up on a weekend and it would be nice if it was close to Buffalo/Niagara.

Any recommendations/experiences?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2017, 11:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

many of us use:
https://www.cbiusa.com/
Old 12-27-2017, 12:09 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 for cbi. I’ve shipped all sorts of stuff to them from brake fluid to rebuilt heads. Never had any issues.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:47 AM
DarrenD
Racer

That looks great, thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
+1 for cbi. I’ve shipped all sorts of stuff to them from brake fluid to rebuilt heads. Never had any issues.
add me to the loyal list of cbi users
Old 12-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Also USAddress on Witmer Rd (1st exit after the Queston/Lewiston Bridge). I have been using them for years.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

CBI is good, but I've switched to cross border pickups (crossborderpickups.ca) - they'll give you a US address and then give you the option of picking it up there, having it shipped to their depot near Pearson, or shipping it to your house. All the costs are reasonable, and way better than having Canada Post/Fedex/etc bring it across the border.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Careful with the old ship south of the boarder thing.. I did fine with a couple parts I ordered.. then bringing my cgt seats over. I got dinged 1700 in tax they were not happy, busted my ***** huge. I was honest with them. Told them what I paid figured be straight up but the apparently you pay full tax on used parts.. go figure. Not to mention the 30 min of boarder guy s trying to figure out why seats are so expensive. Never again. When you ship to boarder places. They know that your doing so to try to evade some fee or tax and I feel like they have tightened the rope a bit on this. Just a cautionary tail.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Been using CBI for 7 years or so. They are great and quick to deal with. Was just there this past Saturday. I always aim to be there for 8am when they open on Saturdays to avoid the lines at CBI and at the border, would recommend that if you go on Saturday.

I've never paid duties on anything covering the gamut from clothes, exhaust systems, video game stuff, tires, wheels, other car parts, tools and on and on.

I always declare and simply pay HST on the Canadian value. They take your USD paid for the goods and convert to CAD then charge HST. Easy experience every time.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Been using CBI for 7 years or so. They are great and quick to deal with. Was just there this past Saturday. I always aim to be there for 8am when they open on Saturdays to avoid the lines at CBI and at the border, would recommend that if you go on Saturday.

I've never paid duties on anything covering the gamut from clothes, exhaust systems, video game stuff, tires, wheels, other car parts, tools and on and on.

I always declare and simply pay HST on the Canadian value. They take your USD paid for the goods and convert to CAD then charge HST. Easy experience every time.
You might have just gotten lucky because DUTY is due & based on the Category separately. Only items that are duty exempted are manufactured in Either Canada, U.S or Mexico. You can use CBSA Duty / Tax Calculator on their website.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Some great info guys, thanks. I'm going to go with CBI, I will plan to be there super early next weekend. It's a used 944 transaxle so not exactly valuable.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Same here, and I cross at least once a month. Each run is easily 1-2k in parts and I only ever pay HST.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
You might have just gotten lucky because DUTY is due & based on the Category separately. Only items that are duty exempted are manufactured in Either Canada, U.S or Mexico. You can use CBSA Duty / Tax Calculator on their website.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

I don't believe it's luck. It's been ever single time multiple times a year over many years.

You're right duty is due but at land crossings they don't bother to asses duty to non commercial travellers. This is my experience through Pearson and Niagara.

However if you ship via courier you are likely to get assessed duty, brokerage fee and HST.

Just my experience for what it's worth. I do recommend making US purchases factoring worst case scenario cost considering duty, HST, shipping and exchange rate. No brokerage fee handling it yourself.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Some great info guys, thanks. I'm going to go with CBI, I will plan to be there super early next weekend. It's a used 944 transaxle so not exactly valuable.
Cool. Take a copy of the invoice. They accept on your device or paper.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I don't believe it's luck. It's been ever single time multiple times a year over many years.

You're right duty is due but at land crossings they don't bother to asses duty to non commercial travellers. This is my experience through Pearson and Niagara.

However if you ship via courier you are likely to get assessed duty, brokerage fee and HST.
Same experience, one time I separated the items North America, and German manufacture. As always i declared and was directed to go inside. The agent at the counter said 'are you going to make me look all that up' i said nope, and was assessed HST only.

Quick Reply: Shipping options to Buffalo for large item