Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   2017 C2 reversing camera (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1037624-2017-c2-reversing-camera.html)

Jaws1 12-02-2017 07:55 PM

2017 C2 reversing camera

I have a deposit down on a Jet Black 2017 C2 with manual box, and subject to a successful PPI at the local Porsche dealer, it will be mine. The Volvo dealer selling it didn’t have a good handle on the options to the point that I was pleasantly surprised to find it had Sport Chrono although it wasn’t advertised as having such. I have yet to determine if a reversing camera came standard on the cars. With a cursory look I couldn’t find a camera, but given the 2018s come with a camera a standard I’d be surprised if it wasn’t standard for 2017. Anyone know?

moab 12-02-2017 08:38 PM

Why do you need a PPI on a 2017 car with factory warranty?

CamsPorsche 12-02-2017 09:00 PM

My 17 C4 has the camera and it automatically engages when you reverse. So if that doesn't happen then you don't have it.

Jaws1 12-03-2017 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 14644014)

$250 spent on a $100k purchase is nothing and will give me a good idea as to how the first 8k km and 1.5 years of it’s life were spent. I know the car has sat for the last 5 months, which increases the likelihood of fluid leaks, compromised battery, etc. In my experience, purchasing two CPO 997s, a PPI is money well spent. Instead of finding these things for myself the dealer can find them and fix them under warranty.

Jaws1 12-03-2017 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche (Post 14644039)
My 17 C4 has the camera and it automatically engages when you reverse. So if that doesn't happen then you don't have it.

Thanks. I didn’t drive it in reverse, hence my question.

Edit: OCD got the better of me and I took a drive to the dealer and confirmed that it has a camera. Must be standard with ‘17 991s because mine has a short list of options.

aventino68 12-16-2017 01:33 AM

Sorry slight light thread drift, did the '14 turbo or turbo S have the reversing camera. I think it was standard in '15 but maybe optional in Canada in '14. Would only buy a '14 with it and haven't had any luck so far, so it's either that or I'm stuck looking at '15 models.

EPOS 12-16-2017 02:42 AM

Why is the reverse camera so important? I'm genuinely curious.

aventino68 12-16-2017 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by EPOS (Post 14672799)
Why is the reverse camera so important? I'm genuinely curious.

A few reasons, had done work done on my neck so less mobility, rear vision not so good in a cabrio, I backed into the 4” long 10” high remnants of curbing while out in my weekend driver recently and the scraping noise was painful, lots of small kids in my street and it’s another layer of safety, the car will often be used by everyone in the family. Camera makes it less intimidating. IMHO.

Bacura 12-16-2017 09:29 AM

delete

petee1997 12-16-2017 11:14 AM

It is standard equipment.

EPOS 12-16-2017 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by aventino68 (Post 14672838)

A few reasons, had done work done on my neck so less mobility, rear vision not so good in a cabrio, I backed into the 4” long 10” high remnants of curbing while out in my weekend driver recently and the scraping noise was painful, lots of small kids in my street and it’s another layer of safety, the car will often be used by everyone in the family. Camera makes it less intimidating. IMHO.

OK I can see why it' usefulness in your case. I agree it's an extra safety feature but at the same time it's also scary how many people solely rely on the camera when backing up and don't even left their heads...

All these driver aids are making drivers worse as they become lazy and complacent Imo.

Imo000 12-17-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by EPOS (Post 14673184)
OK I can see why it' usefulness in your case. I agree it's an extra safety feature but at the same time it's also scary how many people solely rely on the camera when backing up and don't even left their heads...

All these driver aids are making drivers worse as they become lazy and complacent Imo.

Just part of the removal of the driver from the steering wheel. In the next 20-25 years most driving will not be done by carbon based lifeforms.

petee1997 12-17-2017 03:49 PM

It's a safety issue and it's about time they made it a legal requirement for all cars. There are many things you can't see without the back up camera. Even better, is the 360 camera. It gives you a complete picture of all your surroundings. The macho guys only think they don't need this stuff.

Mumbles 12-17-2017 04:25 PM

^ Indeed. A dime size camera can save lives, especially kids from getting run over

Smitten 12-18-2017 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 14644014)

Because it's a moderately-pricey used car, may have hidden body damage, and the warranty doesn't cover battery, tires, wheels, brakes, and a 1/2 dozen other things.

wc11 12-18-2017 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 14675256)
^ Indeed. A dime size camera can save lives, especially kids from getting run over

Teach your kids to be aware of their surroundings first.
Kids will just bounce off anyway the way they're bubble packed these days.

Jaws1 12-18-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 14677285)

Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings. There’s a reason why cameras are becoming mandatory equipment, and I’m all for technology solving this problem. Kids are small, and depending on the vehicle the blind spots are big.

Mumbles 12-18-2017 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 14677285)

One poor sod ran over his grandson while backing outta the driveway. Walk the next steps in his shoes.......

Imo000 12-18-2017 08:57 PM

Bizarre incidents happen all the time and I feel really sorry for the people that this happened to but common sense can save even more lives than a camera. The crappy driver education system on this continent caused more fatalities than any "safety" product a car manufacturer can bolt on. If you are concerned with backing over someone or something, then perhaps backing into your driveway when getting home is a better option. Some employers have this as a policy when using company vehicles but that requires a certain amount of common sens from the driver. The more these "safety tools" become standards options, the less a driver is going to use their head when driving. At least that's what I think.

wc11 12-19-2017 09:40 AM

^^^ this ^^^
ie: How many idiots are driving around at night without their full lighting system on because they think auto headlights will take care of it?

" Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings."
It's the parents responsibility to watch their 2 year-olds

Bacura 12-19-2017 12:12 PM

There are many responsible parents who watch their 2 year olds. Accidents still happen. A reversing camera is an added safety feature. It's like kid proofing your house. Will, come down to Sick Kids emergency department to see wonderful parents whose kids were out of sight for only a few seconds. Or nannies that were distracted. Or grandparents that were too slow to react. It's a great safety feature that adds to driver vigilance.

petee1997 12-19-2017 12:50 PM

I'm always amazed at the arguments that some people make opposing progress. They are the same people who opposed compulsory seat belts, air bags, daytime running lights, modern brake systems, yada yada. Most of their arguments have one thing in common........nonsense.

Jaws1 12-19-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 14678695)
^^^ this ^^^
ie: How many idiots are driving around at night without their full lighting system on because they think auto headlights will take care of it?

" Good advice and I’m sure 2 year-olds always listen and are constantly aware of their surroundings."
It's the parents responsibility to watch their 2 year-olds

Weren't you the one who mused that kids are bubble wrapped these days? Your attitude reminds me of being a kid myself and getting into a car with friends' parents who would dutifully note that I didn't need to wear my seatbelt because they were good drivers.

Jaws1 12-19-2017 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 14679107)
I'm always amazed at the arguments that some people make opposing progress. They are the same people who opposed compulsory seat belts, air bags, daytime running lights, modern brake systems, yada yada. Most of their arguments have one thing in common........nonsense.

+1

wc11 12-19-2017 02:06 PM

I'm not against them at all and accidents do happen yes and will always unfortunately happen.
While an added benefit for sure, it's by no means a replacement nor is it meant to be. Comm on sense, which is not so common anymore should prevail.
You still have to be aware and responsible and teach kids to be. How many times have we seen kids and pets left in hot cars? Reminding devices coming?
It seems that the "smarter" cars get, the dumber drivers get.

GentlemanRacer 12-23-2017 02:52 PM

Would any body here drive without a seat belt because they can brace themselves properly against the dash board or steering wheel?
How about learning how to modulate their brakes 30 times a second in case their ABS fails during braking?
I don't disagree that one needs to have some understanding of basic things like looking around your vehicle before moving, but all of these aids are now standard equipment where there were not decades ago. Progress has made these necessary and in every SINGLE case, accidents and deaths have been reduced.
Same thing for back up cameras. I always checked around my cars or trucks before pulling off, but there are still multiple blind spots. My new truck has no blindspots and has six cameras. I never use my rearview mirror when reversing and I think the rear view mirror should be replaced by a feed from a set of rear cameras, since the field of view is unobstructed and about 100% greater than reflecting through pillars and people. (its in the new cadillac escalades)
I would go further to say that all these cameras should also come with proximity alerts as it is proven that sound alerts us even better than sight.
All of this will be mute anyway because I can rarely go further than 50 metres before coming to a stop and can usually can go faster in reverse down my driveway than forward on a regular road due to ridiculous traffic congestion.
All if these issues could be resolved by buying a single seater helicopter........