Notices

Info forImporting US 911s to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:44 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess you had a real ''stiff'' at your border crossing.

If money is not a worry, I would say a car transporting business with a broker is the way to go. Unfortunately Mama said I could only spend so much.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:04 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Have you started fixing anything you aren't happy with yet concerning your car. I know there has to be something , its the nature of these cars. I managed to stick another 20,000 into mine.Mamma told me the same thing,I didn't realize she was serious. HA HA
Mducharme 86 930 turbo
84 carrera cabrio (for sale)
Old 02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Already picked up a set of Fuch 16'' rims with rubber to replace the 15'' Cookie Cutters. Have to do an oil, fuel filter, air cleaner change. (already have the parts). Also purchased the 101 manual and the Bently manual to help me along the way. I want to get the allignment checked to make sure it is straight.

Plan to drive it for the summer and then do a chemical strip and repaint. I personally would like to change to colour to silver. The current resale-red is fading plus has several stone chips. Might take off the whale tale and spoiler. I'm a traditional line kind of guy and I heard the tail and spoiler only help at speeds over 100 mph. No plans to be running that fast.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by randyrap
I think you might be a little confused over the ''copy''. A copy of the title is faxed to the US Customs so they can do a check to make sure it has no liens or is stolen. I had the seller do this a week before I was to come and check the car over. They only use this to do a search (takes 72 business hours). Once the car is purchased and the original title is signed over, you bring it to the Customs Officer and he checks that it is the same as the faxed copy. In the filing folder the US Customs Officer had, I viewed dozens of titles. Photo copies, faxes and some originals.

I had to do the EXACT same thing. The "copy" is not really a copy but a FAX of the original tittle along with another form that US customs will send you. Not only you have to do the fax 72 hours in advance but you MUST call the US Customs Officer who handles your case to verify that they are no problems. Once you do that then you proceed to the border on the US side and armed with the original tittle. Then the Officer checks the VIN and decription of the car against the tittle and stamps the tittle with the export stamp. Then you go the the canadian side for the rest.

I had to do in BC 2 inspections. the provincial which was done at the BMW dealer and the federal at Canadian tire. For the federal you have to wait for the government to send you the form. For the provincial the dealer will provide it so go ahead and do it immediately so any problems could be sorted on time... Once the provincial was done then the CT guys did a light check of the car VIN etc and off I went. It turned out that because my speedo says "miles" anyway on it, no stickers were necessary.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:11 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Hi Danny.

Guess there are two different sets of rules for cars that are either over or under 15 years old.

Randy
Old 02-21-2004, 11:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by randyrap
Hi Danny.

Guess there are two different sets of rules for cars that are either over or under 15 years old.

Randy
dont know about that to be honest. My car is 6 years old now, but I can tell you that the overall condition will impress tech people and if the car is mint, less checking will occur.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:20 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Hey Danny,
(" Six years old ") It should be .
Mducharme 86 930 turbo
84 carrera cabrio (for sale)
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the process of importing a 1986 951 from Seattle to Vancouver so once its all done ill make up a little page with a rundown of how I did it and costs.

From what ive heard, if its more than 15 years old AND it was sold in Canada, easy stree. Less then 15 years old... Harder, and apparent involves useless crap like French airbag stickers and child seat restraint bolts and such. If the car was never actually sold in Canada, might as well forget about it. Since 944s and 911s were all sold in Canada, no problem there.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:45 AM
randyrap
Instructor

In Ontario, we have emisions testing. Any car that is over 20 years old is exempt. This is another reason why I went looking for an 83, not to mention the straight forward Customs procedures.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:51 AM
nuck
AutoX

Transport Canada has a list of what vehicles require in order to be importable from the US. It's on their internet site. Less than 15 years old is typically changes to seatbelt configuration, and addition of daytime running lights. I was looking at a 96-98 Viper GTS and these were the two changes. Some models of cars require replacement of front bumper systems(pre 93 Mazda RX7) and others are simply not importable(93-96 Viper RT10 and some of the 348 Ferraris were notably unobtainable). I am pretty sure all the 911s available in the last 15 years can come in. More than 15 years for USA sold vehicles pretty well anything goes.

Quick Reply: Info forImporting US 911s to Canada