Notices

Whats the deal with Quebec cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Jebomadera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal with Quebec cars?

Hey guys,
So i'm looking for 996 C4S. Found a few in Ontario but none have the options i want. This one in Montreal https://www.lauzonporsche.com/invent...tallic+1420889 looks great in the pictures.
I'm not familiar with the used car market in Quebec but apparently you can't get UVIP from cars there. I bought a car proof, lists 1 owner and no service history at all. If i get serious about this one ill try to set up a PPI for the car from a different shop. What do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the concesses is that there's a lot of crash repair type cars there. Apparently in Quebec it's like the wild west for the used car market. In saying that one of my pickiest buddies bought a 996 x50 from there. It was all the money and really clean. So not all cars are wrecks there. At the end of that day your looking at 15 yr old car. It's a used car, take a look at ut. Go with your gut n go from there. Think with a ppi your just paying for a strangers opinion on a used car. If you look hard enough you'll find something wrong. Go with your gut....
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Based on the back drop of Charbonneau Commission findings and my own (non car) experience I don't trust anything in Quebec.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Contact Andrew at WeTune , his shop is 30 minutes away from Lauzon Porsche , he can arrange a thorough independent PPI for you !
I buy the OEM parts that i occasionally need to buy at the dealer from Lauzon , they're pretty good ...

WeTune Autosports
1400 Norman , Lachine

514-633-1497
Old 10-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Based on the back drop of Charbonneau Commission findings and my own (non car) experience I don't trust anything in Quebec.
yes because a crack smoking mayor is much more trustworthy....

Funny cause when I was in Quebec "Ontario" cars (even once registered in QC) were much less desireable, i.e. large discount needed to sell them. Comes down to we believe local is always better, where ever that may be...
Old 10-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Jebomadera
AutoX

Lots of different opinions. Much appreciated fellas keep them coming. I think i'm just going to go with my gut. Would be nice to find one close by but when it comes down to finding the exact spec i want ill travel if i have to. I think at the moment the most important thing is finding a good shop to take a look at the car. So far I've messaged Robotis and Wetune in Montreal. Will wait and see what they say.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

I would want at least a partial service history for any P-car...

Forsure a PPI, see that things such as the IMS have been addressed, overrevs, etc. With no service history i'd be getting oil examined and checking compression, multipoint inspection, then changing all fluids and belts (including brakes, coolant, powersteering etc.) immediately after purchase.

As mentioned, Quebec cars are very hit-or-miss.

Stay away from anything that has been winter driven in Quebec. That is why for regular cars, Quebec is generally a no-go. Rust buckets everywhere, even cars less than 5 years old are rotting through their shells (jap, american, and euro).

Check the whole car for paint thickness, panel gaps, and orange peel - lots of shoddy deals in Quebec where salvage cars end up back on the road or undeclared smashups get frankenstein'd back to former glory with parts cars.

Expect to replace shocks/springs/bushings on any car that has spent most of it's life in the city, Montreal's roads make Toronto roads look smooth as glass.

my 2cents
Old 10-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinSedz

Check the whole car for paint thickness, panel gaps, and orange peel - lots of shoddy deals in Quebec where salvage cars end up back on the road or undeclared smashups get frankenstein'd back to former glory with parts cars.
+1

It could be an urban legend, but my understanding is there was a period of time in Quebec that if you registered a salvage car, the title was cleared. Therefore, lots of smashed cars ended up being sold as legit.

I love Quebec. Montreal may be my favourite city in Canada. But I wouldn't buy a car that has gone through Quebec without a PPI, service history, and a good paint meter reading.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Its not as bad as people make it out to be here. Yes there are a bunch of cars with but carproof claims but its the same in Ontario. What kills cars here is rock salt and the condition of the roads. If a car has a salvage regi remains that way.

​​​​​if you want a PPI contact us. I pull DME history, check cross measurements , alignment and paint gauge as well

Lauzon isn't going to sell a crap can. That was prob taken in on trade or purchased knowing it was a clean car. They prob have the service history
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think if you're after a specific 911 to buy with specific options, you can't get too caught up with these kind of stigmas...There are nice cars all over the country in varying conditions... There are also lots of crappy cars out there. If you like a car in QUE, do your due diligence with a thorough PPI. And if it doesn't pan out, hold out for the exact car you're looking for! I was interested in 2 cars out of Quebec during my search earlier this year, and I ran into only one sketchy "are you kidding?" situation - and believe it or not it was at a Porsche store lol.

Also, shopping long distance sometimes poses a problem where the one end has a different idea of what "excellent" condition means vs the other...If you can, drive out to Louzon to take a look with your own eyes before blowing dough on a PPI.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Its not as bad as people make it out to be here. Yes there are a bunch of cars with but carproof claims but its the same in Ontario. What kills cars here is rock salt and the condition of the roads. If a car has a salvage regi remains that way.
This is exactly my experience.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Lauzon has a great reputation and would not be selling a car full of troubles without some disclosure if there were issues that you need to be aware of. Call Jean Yves Blanc or Francois (SA's there) and ask for details about the car. They have regular dealings with Rennsport guys and definitely want to maintain a great relationship with Porsche buyers.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkeym
Lauzon has a great reputation and would not be selling a car full of troubles without some disclosure if there were issues that you need to be aware of. Call Jean Yves Blanc or Francois (SA's there) and ask for details about the car. They have regular dealings with Rennsport guys and definitely want to maintain a great relationship with Porsche buyers.
This is definitely true. I didn't end up getting a car from Lauzon, but when I've spoken to JYB, he's been very forthcoming with details. On the other hand, stay away from Prestige. Those people are slimy.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:49 PM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
This is definitely true. I didn't end up getting a car from Lauzon, but when I've spoken to JYB, he's been very forthcoming with details. On the other hand, stay away from Prestige. Those people are slimy.
My car is from Prestige
Old 10-20-2017, 05:12 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SlntSam
My car is from Prestige
I've unfortunately heard the same about Prestige

and is that SlntSam from TPC???

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with Quebec cars?