Notices

Bayview Extension Speed Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I call BS. Accidents on Bayview extension I believe are few and far between and will not decrease by reducing the speed limit.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Let's see what they come back with but after that, I would ask for the collision analysis report. Speed limits should not be based on collision history. Just by putting up some signs will not fix a collision problem. The road need to be designed and built to match the posted speed limits. They should at least narrow the lanes to force the drivers to slow down on their own. Otherwise it becomes an enforcement nightmare.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:43 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I will also ask if they have compared the period of the 60km per hour speed limit vs the similar period when the limit was 70km per hour. Should be apples to apples as no improvements were done when the 60km limit was in effect. The elapsed time period is certainly enough to be statistically indicative to determine if the drop in speed limit caused an improvement in road safety.
Please keep the questions coming.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

weren't there a couple of fatal collisions down by he brickworks area this summer ? or is that a different area . ?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3585370/f...ne-woman-dead/
Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Fatal collisions don't necessarily warrant a speed limit change but it's a knew jerk reaction that most politicians like to go to. Need more details on what happened during that collision to see what, if anything, can be done to prevent another one. I sad this before and I firmly believe it int. Dropping the speed limit where engineering doesn't support it just makes the average driver become a criminal.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Speed trap has been there for years now. I use to live up the street from there and would see them there weekly. It’s a perfect spot to trap ppl since the speed limit drops, it’s slightly up hill and turns gently so you have poor line of sight.

Money trap is what it should be called plain and simple.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:49 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^Exactly.. cash grab bs.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:25 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Re fatal accident.
Driver exited from DVP on Bay Bloor exit. Took Bayview Ave North exit. Theory is that he realized he wanted south instead of north. When he reached the northbound merge lane, he immediately attempted a 4 lane U turn to get into the southbound lanes. Unfortunately, he hit a female motorcyclist and killed her. Conditions were dry and light.
Was this excess speed? Poor road design? Or just a bad driver who was careless.
If the latter, how do you prevent a collision? More rigorous testing?
Would a police radar trap 500 meters south prevented this tragedy?
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
weren't there a couple of fatal collisions down by he brickworks area this summer ? or is that a different area . ?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3585370/f...ne-woman-dead/
Yep, it was a couple hundred yards south of the Brickworks. The speed limit was already at 50kph at the time of the accident.
The cops have been set up there for as long as I can remember. They probably lowered the limit because of the Brickworks. That area is nuts on a weekend.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of citing "speed" as a potential cause of a crash, media needs to start calling out "lack of driver skill" as a cause worthy of investigation. Clearly, using "speed" as a risk has had zero effect on slowing traffic. Maybe highlighting that bad driving could be (is so often) the cause might make a couple of folks actually think about their own abilities.

Who rolls their minivan full of unbelted passengers on a dry straight road in the daylight???

And the road safety measures seem to be a knee jerk reaction to public outrage at pedestrian deaths. Driver inattention, especially at intersections is a key factor here, (according to the stats I've seen) something NOT addressed by lower speed limits or other traffic calming efforts.

Who runs across a major roadway at night, with their child in their arms???

While I'm no DF fan, I'm an advocate for evidence-based policy making. Regrettably, that's out of favor these days.

RK
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd suffer 10kph limits rather than another Ford in office

Regardless I think you are just beating your head against the wall. Speed limits going down everywhere, not up - not gonna change here regardless of whatever BS road study they come up with to defend it
Old 10-09-2017, 01:33 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cars get safer and they reduce the speeds you are allowed to drive. It makes no sense, especially in the areas mentioned. Bayview extension is easily a 70km road and safely now that the guardrails are there for the bike lanes etc.. so no need for 50km there, that's horse ****. on another note that is such an amazingly fun road lol its not far from my house so I go there in the wee hours and have a little fun.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:09 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Update from Ward 28 office follows. Note that the 60 to 50 reduction decision was not based on any safety criteria.

Sorry that I was not in touch sooner as I was out of the office last week and still haven't received further information from staff.

However, I did notice that there is an item on the upcoming Public Works and Infrastructure Committee recommending that the speed limit be brought back up to 60 kmh again. The committee meets on Wednesday.

The motion notes:

In July 2016, City Council unanimously endorsed the Vision Zero Road Safety Plan (RSP) 2017-2021, which included the reduction of the regulatory speed limit on various streets including Bayview Avenue, between Pottery Road (northerly intersection) and River Street Ramp, from 60 km/h to 50 km/h.

While this speed limit reduction was made as part of the Road Safety Plan, this section was one of 18 road segments identified where changes were recommended not from a collision history perspective, but to improve consistency with adjacent sections of the same road.

Following installation of 50 km/h speed limit signs on June 6, 2017, concerns have been expressed about the disparity between the speed limit and the speeds at which drivers are travelling.

Based on a speed study and a review of the design of the roadway, collision history, and the existing road environment, staff have determined that a speed limit of 60 km/h is more appropriate for Bayview Avenue from Pottery Road to River Street Ramp.

It seems likely that this motion will be successful and I will follow Wednesday's meeting and update you once the item is dealt with.

Thank you,
Kelly

Kelly Sather
Constituency Assistant
Ward 28 Toronto Centre Rosedale
Toronto City Hall, Suite A7
Toronto, M5H 2N2
Tel: 416-392-7916
Fax: 416-392-7296
kelly.sather@toronto.ca
@Ward28_Toronto
Old 10-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

This is what happens when politicians pretend to be traffic experts. They probably ignored traffic staff recommendations to not to drop the speed limit and voted on to do it anyways. Now that the public is freaking out, you are probably one of many that were pi$$ed off and wrote to them, and now the speed limit is going up because they want to get re-elected.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol score one.

Quick Reply: Bayview Extension Speed Warning