Notices

Home Theater (Projector) Help / advice in GTA

Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been a projector user since late 2008. I built a soundproofed media room in the basement for movie viewing and video gaming...

1st projector I bought was online from a place in Quebec. It was an Epson HC720. free extra bulb with rebate. ~$1500

Boxing Week (2016?) I bought a projector from a place in Oakville near the QEW/403. Great price. It was an Epson 1080UB, again free extra bulb with rebate. Very happy with the upgrade, and it was sub $2000 IIRC

I can control the lights in my room. painted the walls and ceiling dark colours by the screen. 120" DIY screen

I blogged about it back in 2008. I will leave this link public for a few days...

http://blog.pjbj.ca/search/label/home%20theater

Amazing what you can do with money saved buying oil on sale.

Nvrmind... OP is looking for something different.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Go for the tv that comes with the frame.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/uhd-4k...SAAEgJii_D_BwE
Great suggestion, it isn't the best TV on the market in that price range but it is perfect for your use case and should less expensive/less hassle than installing a projector + screen + sound system. If I were you I'd definitely check this out.

Also second Stephenson's Electronics, been dealing with them for 10+ years and they are great people with the best prices by far. Just got a 65" Sony A1E OLED from them a couple weeks back and it is stunning.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:25 PM
msgbrian
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is ambient light, you'll probably have to spend more for the screen that can cope with the extra light. They are typically more grey than white. I setup my theater downstairs where there is a walk out basement so ambient light was also an issue. I ended up going with a screen innovations (slate screen) which works well with the lights on or if there is some ambient light.

http://www.screeninnovations.com

projector I use is Sony VPL-HW40ES but that was two years ago. It's quiet, and easily adjustable to make the image fit the screen. I'm sure there are better versions of this out now.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really a good room to use a projector. With that big uncovered window the picture even with a high quality projector will be very washed.

We have a theater in the house with a 150" screen in a dedicated room, less light the better the picture.

You can get some really really good picture quality Optoma projectors for not a lot of money. I have one we use for outdoor movie night at the cottage.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might wanna try avsforum since this is not a car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home Theater (Projector) Help / advice in GTA