Notices

FS - '90 964 C4 full engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS - '90 964 C4 full engine rebuild

Would prefer local sale and price is OBO.

2 yr warranty on engine (GTek) - no tracking though...
Appraise at $70K Can (tax incl).

1990 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Coupe 5 speed Manual
Mileage: 167K miles (This was originally a US car)
Exterior Colour: Grand Prix White Exterior – original paint – meter shoes 4-6um on all panels except bumpers which have been resprayed.
Interior Colour: Marine Blue Leather with blue carbon fiber trim.
Porsche Certificate of Authenticity
Asking Price: $56,500

This is a VERY well sorted 964 with a fully rebuilt engine in June of this year. Over $30K was spent on the rebuild and that does not include the many other upgrades that have been done to the car over the past few years.

This car was built to be a daily driver and never failed to deliver. Looks amazing, has an exhaust sound that is unbelievable.

I have service records going back to 2003 on the car. Car Fax – no accidents reported.

Upgrades to exterior include:
Kinesis K27 3 piece forged wheels (there are some dings and scrapes on the wheels, but they run true and smooth and no air leak from tires.)
Tires are brand new Continental Extreme Contact DW with less than 1500km on them.
Clear side markers
D-Zug HID headlight upgrades with chrome rings around lights
New front bumper grill and repaired the “happy face” sag that many show
993 wipers arms (double springs)
Brand new windshield June 2017 (at the same time the little rust bubble by base of windshield was repaired and painted)

Brakes Suspension:
928GTS (big black) front calipers and new rotors and pads in 2014
993 rear brake upgrade with new rotors and pads 2015
Bilstein shocks and H&R green springs
RS sway bars and drop links for front and rear
Stainless steel brake lines
Brake fluid flush 2017

Engine / Mechanical:
Full rebuild by GTek this year – as long as the car isn’t taken to the track, has a 2 year warranty on the engine / components as well!!
New engine pad and pad keeper
Head Gasket Modification with new cylinder head gaskets
Main Bearing Set replaced
993TT head studs
Brand new Clutch with Light Weight Flywheel
New piston rings, intermediate shaft bearing, cooling fan hub, crank position sensor, release bearing guide, fuel filter, drive belt sensor, ignition wire, alternator, thermostat, oil pipes, hoses, distributer shaft overhaul, covers, grommets, nuts and bolts.
Dougherty 993SS Cams
Steve Wong Chip
J-pipe secondary delete
Evolution cone air filter
Chris Walrod Poly bushings
Hargett upper and lower valve covers
New battery 2016
New CV boots & Accelerator cable
New starter motor
R134 conversion – top up 2017
New CV boots
New Horn
LED lights for frunk and hood
Hydraulic oil valve and hoses (August 2017)

Interior Upgrades:
RS style doors cards
Alpine stereo AM/FM/CD with hands free Bluetooth
4 speakers – no need for additional amps – can hear radio on highway with windows open.
T Loc keyless entry
Function First shift ****
Rennline track mats and pedals
New sunroof cables and sunroof switch
New sunroof headliner
New window switches
New Indicator switch assembly
Blue carbon fiber interior trim (can easily be removed – was on the car well before I purchased it in 2013).
New door straps with Rennline reinforcement kit
Brey Krause extinguisher mount
Spare tire
Jack
(no tool kit, air compressor or manual)
Ctek battery charger
Seats are overall in very good condition, with power up/down but there is some cracking along the drivers side bolster.

The car was graded Condition 2 (Very Good) with an appraised value of $70,000CAN (including taxes) in June 2017 just after the engine rebuild.

Asking $56,500 CAN

Reason for selling: Family – kids are now getting into the teens and growing exponentially. While the backseat is not bad considering the cars size, I (finally) need to be realistic and don’t want a garage queen, the car has been a reliable daily driver that never fails to put a smile on my face – or anyone else who sees it or hears it on the road.

PLEASE PM ME FOR MORE INFO / PICS

Last edited by Dr Mitch; 09-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

say it aint so !!!!!!!
what do you have your eye on next ?

bump for a great looking car.

FYi I kept mine an drove it sporadically over the years, stored it off site for winters as my son grew up . When my son turned 18 and started doing his own thing with his own car I was sooo glad I didn't sell mine as I get to drive it constantly

... food for thought.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice!
I thought about storing it - and still do - I daily drive it to work, rarely need to get three people in the car, but honestly, with a 27 year old car, even the general maintenance (the "porsche" tax) is starting to get to me.

I made the decision to sell the car before I selected another (which is a first for me). So, now I've been looking at options - IMO nothing will REPLACE the 964. I've been all over the place, from a S2000, to a manual Cayenne, Lotus, and finally, my current top choice is a very nicely modified wrx sti I found. Drove it and it was a blast! Should keep me entertained for the next few years, pay off some bills and then consider maybe a newer 911 targa perhaps.

I know once it goes, I won't likely ever be able to get another 964 again. For me right now, it's the smart choice to sell.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Yeah it always easy to think back and think " I never should have sold it" what is difficult is remembering why you sold it in the first place
Sti is a fun car for sure.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

And still a Boxer.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
And still a Boxer.
LOL - NICE! Well, the world IS flat.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The Subies an aftermarket exhaust always sound like a misfiring 4 cylinder. Why not keep this car as a "hobby car" and get something to drive the kids around in? Keep the Porsche in the garage and the Subaru outside.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Yeah, most subies with an aftermarket do sound raspy / tinny / misfiring. The one I recently drove did not (to me) sound like that at all. Had upgraded pistons, turbo, etc. The owner is meticulous with maintenance and fit and finish of the car.
The worry with the 964 is the cost of said hobby car - each time something happens, or I even hear or feel something my heart sinks "now what" - that said, it has been reliable.
I know the leather will wear and I'll want Recaro Sportster seats, I'd like to swap out the steering wheel eventually, I'm sure the a/c servos will wear out - I've cleaned them up a few times and currently they still work. But the heater flaps are sticking now...
I could use the extra $$ to finally justify buying a boat lift for the ski boat.
I'm not going to talk about actually driving the car - because that's when all my reasons to sell go out the door!!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Price reduced to $58,500 Canadian to better reflect the market and miles.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

There was a CarFax issue on Odometer that has been corrected.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Guys in case anyone is wondering this is a very clean no stories well sorted car and extremely presentable. Dr Mitch is a reputable member on here and an enthusiast who takes great care of this car. Plus you get a basically new engine.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words Danny!

Car is back from an oil change and brake line flush and new brake pad sensors, hydraulic valves and lines too.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Realized I never updated the price here:

$56,500

At asking price, will include 17" turbo twist wheels with very good condition winter tires as well as the very hard to find Thule roof rack (with the short feet up front and the tall in back).
Old 09-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

$30K to rebuild an engine with less than 160K on the clock. was it just fixin the oil leaks or was there something else amiss???
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

160K miles - so a bit over 250K - but yeah, less than 10K a year over it's life isn't too bad.
The car was leaking a LOT, was also heating up and over heating and started to run rough. But I mainly brought it in for an oil change, was due for valve adjustment, and needed the A/c, sunroof and a few other issues looked at.
Once they had it on a hoist, and realizing what I'd be spending in non-engine related work, we had the discussion of doing more. It was the "do I take a look or just do a reseal"? I went with the take a look as I didn't want to go through a top end reseal only to have much of the same problems and then end up paying for a rebuild. For the car, I'm glad I went the route I did (for the pocket-book, not so much).

There were also a number of non-engine related repairs in their that added to cost. Probably around $4-6K that were not directly related to the engine; including ABS speed sensors, sunroof cables, horn, A/C recharge, thermostat, etc. Then there was the new flywheel and clutch, machining gaskets, new head studs (a couple were cracked) and all of the other engine components. In all there was around $20K in parts (with a not-so-great Canadian dollar at the time), then labour (including the machining) and taxes.

I didn't fix it up intending to sell, my intention was always to keep her, so for me to sleep better, the amount of work done was justified. I'm sure the next owner will be equally happy knowing how much work has gone into the car to get it to where it is now.

Quick Reply: FS - '90 964 C4 full engine rebuild