Notices

Germany Trip Advice Sep 10th-17th

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 AM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Piggy Backing with a Buddy whos going on Business Trip Sep 10th thru 17th so we will be in Munich Monday Thru Thursday, then Friday we plan to Drive to Nurburgring and spend a day there and then Friday night we plan to drive to Stuttgart and spend Saturday there and then back at night to Munich for Sunday Flight back.

Needs advise and recommendations on Car Rental in Munich from Thursday thru Sunday and also a Track Car rental at Nurburgring Friday 15th Sep

Thursday he has M-Tour Booked at BMW Factory in Munich but Saturday 16th we plan to do Porsche 100% and maybe Benz Factory/Museum Tour in Stuttgart, do we need to book in advance or get tickets there.

What to do in Munich for 4 days while buddy is at work until evening? Road Trip from Munich to Nurburgring advise? Stuttgart Hotel Advise?

Thanks guys, I only been to Frankfurt a few times and haven't left the City

I was there last year for 5 days that flew by, I rented a new benz from Hertz which was great. I had booked a manual bmw from the site but they said manual cars are rare.

Did the BMW, Porsche and Benz museum, all great and worth it, if you are there. I also drove down to these castle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_Castle

which was a very scenic drive and spectacular views while there.

The ring for me was a disappointment but no fault but my own, as I should have timed it better, they were closed for a private track day. I still did their tour which was fun and checked out their go karts, which was awesome. Please ensure you call ahead and book if you can prior to you getting there.

I used airbnb's and enjoyed it! also for most of them car was in private parking.

Have a blast!

oh ya, careful with the darn speed camera's coming off the autobahn, I got two tickets that I still can't figure out how to pay them and hertz charged me to provide the police my info, but i have yet to receive all the info to pay them.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Tickets are a pain, same happened to me when I picked up my BMW in 15. They do not accept checks or Dollars, they want Euro transferred. I had buddy take care of it since it was only 10 Euros.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Okay I'm back and boy was that a blast! I don't have many pictures and wont be posting any here. I posted some on my IG and had Daily Stories on my IG, I know Phil, Jason, gt2rob and few others from here were watching my stories

Day 1) Flew in to Munich with my buddy early morning. He went straight to work at the Messe Center and I checked into the hotel via S-Bahn. In the evening we went to MarienPlatz walked around, did some shopping at LV on Maximilianstraße which was cheaper than Canada apparently lol, had my first experience at a Bierhalle, terrible food and service but sat with some cuties from Finland

Day 2) Met up with my friend Elizabeth (itsWhiteNoise) for lunch who was in town for a EuroRally that started on Wednesday. In the evening my buddy had arranged with his contact at BMW Canada for the Canadian Factory Delivery M Tour Europe kick off Dinner at Bayerischer Hotel, funny enough Lucas Scarphone was there as he was covering the tour for BMW Canada so that night turned out to be later than expected lol. Had some very interesting conversations with the Head of BMW M-Performance and Individual Program at dinner, wish we could have chatted more.

Day 3) Went to BMW Welt and Museum. The Welt is basically like a giant BMW Dealership with RR and Mini but cool place to see if you are a BMW guy, would be nice to take a Delivery there of your BMW. The Museum was quite interesting to see, some nice BMW History and Classic models on Display. Went to another Bierhalle which had better food and service and oddly enough ended up sitting with some cuites from Spain

Day 4) We managed to get a Invite to BMW M-Performance & Test Center from the contact from night before, so took a train to there which is in a automotive industrial zone not far from the Allianz Arena. Got a Private Tour of the facility which is not open to public and saw some interesting Individual Cars and "Options" that were on display, this is also the place where they do the BMW Individual Upgrades to the BMW which is all done by hand. Then we walked down the parking lot with all the current Camo Cars and Prototypes that are being tested, pictures weren't allowed but saw the New M5 not in Camo a few of them with different Aero parts in Camo and the next generation 3-Series which was in complete Camo. After that we went to the Airport to pick our Rental BMW 4-Series but ended up upgrading to a 2018 Audi S5

Day 5) Early Morning took off to Stuttgart and straight to MBZ Museum, got a taste of the Autobahn on way there, passed a police BMW doing 220. Wow I must say the MBZ Museum is quite impressive and better of the 3 we went to, it was the First Highlight of my Trip. Its a amazing Automotive & World History tour and extensive MBZ History. One could easily spend all day here, but sadly we had only 3 hours as we had a 1:30pm Factory Tour at Porsche, so we kinda rushed thru it faster than I wanted to Then drove over to Porsche in time for the Factory Tour. To my surprise I was spotted by Chris Pfaff and his Brother as I was wearing their Motorsport Polo in the lobby of the Museum lol, chatted for a bit. The Tour was okay, I guess as a Porsche owner its a Must to do, but if you have seen the YouTube version then that's really it. Luckily enough our Canadian Tour guide was really funny made some German References like at one point he asked the group to "Line Up Against The Wall" Now to the Museum which was kind of disappointing really when it came to whats on Displays, but none the less its a Must Do! Stuttgart downtown was quite happening on the Friday Night, lots of young people and very energetic place I must say, was not expecting it so we partied that night.

Day 6) Early in the morning took the back roads to the Ring, the 3 hour drive ended up being a 5 hour drive lol but I guess it was a good thing. Because when we got to the Nordschleife gate noticed not many people around and learned it was CLOSED!!! Although it was posted as OPEN a local car club rented the track for the day. We were told it would open at 5:30 for 2 hours. It was about 11am at this point and we had over 6 hours to wait! We went to the Ring Facility to hang out and kill time, good thing it was a Race Weekend with the Last Blancplain Race of the season So it was quite busy there. Had lunch and at this point it was 1pm lol so we contemplated on leaving back to Munich. Anyways we decided to Stay and napped in the car with the massage seats on to kill time.

Track) Second Highlight of my Trip, 5pm rolled around got the Ring Card with 2 Laps @ 30 Euro/ea, lots and lots of car started to show up. Now ill be honest the Track is not as "Dangerous" as people make it seem. Even the BMW Engineers from the Dinner said it was tricky and need over 200 laps to get to used to it. I was very comfortable few turns into the lap and knew where and what kinds of turns were coming up, kinda knew exactly what to expect, except the elevation changes. Really not once I had a Holy **** moment. I was passing cars and being passed by cars and keeping up with sports cars in the S5 which was on Winter Tires. All In All I was kind of underwhelmed of the Danger but had a Blast over the 2 back to back laps I did. I think people over rate the danger there, yes if you have Traction off and are in a Unpredictable car then maybe yes its unforgiving, but the S5 was very Predicable even with Winter Tires

Drive Back) Now the 3rd Highlight of the trip the 550km Drive back to Munich via Frankfurt. We left the track 7:30pm and got to the Hotel at 11pm with 2 Fuel Stops and consuming 140 Liters of Fuel! You can work the math of the kind of speeds we were doing on average to cover 550km in 3 hours including back roads from the track, Unfortunately the S5 is limited to 268kmph, so when a F10 M5 Wagon flashes you to move over to the slow lane when you are doing 250ish and passes you at that speed probably 300+ its quite amazing. We convoyed with a few cars like E63, M5, RS6, M4, Golf R and a 528i which was keeping up good on the Autobahn lol. Man the German drivers are soooooo disciplined, you really feel like an ******* speeding in restricted zones, but when its not restricted all you see is the AMG's, M's and RS's flying by you. Now I realize why there are cars like AMG's and M's, for this Autobahn reason. I have videos on my IG from this Drive to Munich as well as driving the track and rest of the trip zook_simplytire

Day 7) Flight back to home to Toronto and on to the 401 such a shame

Thanks for your advices here guys, really appreciate it. Cant wait to go back to the Ring and the Autobhan, Next time ill take the 2018 E63 that was offered for a bit more than the S5

Last edited by Zookie; 09-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Next time at the Ring, turn off all the all the electronic aids and report back how it went.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

FYI Avis rents GT-Rs at the airport

I have a wedding next year around this time in Europe. We are planning on spending 3 weeks there.. I already told my GF we are flying into Germany as I need more Autobahn time.. I feel the pain with arriving and having to drive on our roads.. Took me about 2 weeks to adjust
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Next time at the Ring, turn off all the all the electronic aids and report back how it went.
Why would anyone do that? only a "Special" person does that, I saw them off on the track, in the barriers

Originally Posted by Gregster
FYI Avis rents GT-Rs at the airport
they also have Porsche's. You can also get Porsches from the Porsche Museum, you have to book in Advance. SixT had M2, M3, M4, E63 and such
Old 09-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Why would anyone do that? only a "Special" person does that, I saw them off on the track, in the barriers :thumbsup
"Now ill be honest the Track is not as "Dangerous" as people make it seem."

All the electronic aids do is make heroes out of zeros Zookie.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:19 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow

Sounds like a great trip
Theres something about speeding along the Autobahn
At whatever speed (220 +) and the beautiful German cars
Passing you like you're standing still

I think everyone in Germany has to do an intensive driver training
course before getting their licence.

Just a little difference in driving skills compared to