Notices

McLaren is biting into Porsche now...

Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default McLaren is biting into Porsche now...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-a-month-lease

If you look at where the buyers are coming from....Porsche is by far the biggest loser. Not too good for the higher end cars.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I believe some of it might have to do with Porsche keeping allocations of special models low on purpose and then dealers marking up the MSRP. Meanwhile at McLaren you can pretty much walk in and buy as you wish. Good value for money, great performance and you don't have to be judged "Unworthy" such as at certain Ferrari dealers. Porsche just isn't about the 911 now, their bread and butter are Cayennes/Macans. I've joked if they released a car based off the A4/S4 for around 85-100k there would be a line up around the corner.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why they need a 960....
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
...... I've joked if they released a car based off the A4/S4 for around 85-100k there would be a line up around the corner.
TOTALLY agree: Mini Panamera like Macan is to Cayenne. Though the closer to $85k for well optioned car, the (way) more they’d sell.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

PAG has had it so good for so long in the 180-240k price range... pushing turbos that are incrementally faster than base 911 cars

capitalism provides market discipline and punishes the complacent/lazy

mclaren kept shooting itself in the foot with too rapid product intro and inflated msrp's that led to huge depreciation on 12c's and 650's... the cheaper 570 is changing the equation and marketplace appeal a lot
Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Uhm... the Turbos will push another 10-14mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile. How is that incrementally faster? That's a *lot* faster. Or are you talking top speeds?

Trying to understand that statement.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
TOTALLY agree: Mini Panamera like Macan is to Cayenne. Though the closer to $85k for well optioned car, the (way) more they’d sell.
I actually would be very happy if porsche make a smaller panamera. Sometimes I really want an exciting sport Four-door sedan to carry family around, but I dont like the monstrous size of panamera, nor interested in m3, c63 or rs5.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:37 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfall
I actually would be very happy if porsche make a smaller panamera. Sometimes I really want an exciting sport Four-door sedan to carry family around, but I dont like the monstrous size of panamera, nor interested in m3, c63 or rs5.
Have you looked at the Alfa?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
Have you looked at the Alfa?
Yes I did. quadrifoglio is a gorgeous machine. But Im not very confident of alfa's reliability though.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche is biting back....

Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM
mpower1226
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfall
Yes I did. quadrifoglio is a gorgeous machine. But Im not very confident of alfa's reliability though.
Now I'm in Alfa although I've got 4c, I have good amount of time in Giulia as well. The reliability is a question that everyone has but it seems to be very solid aside from initial software glitch(which was addressed right away through software update).

I am also eyeing on the Giulia Quadrifoglio, just waiting for used one to pop up with depreciation but doesnt seem to be case as ppl have been asking over msrp for few thousand km used on.

Anyway, had a good test drive with quadrifoglio at oakville masarati/alfa and oh boy is it fast. Very aggressive styling, very italian and very quick with beautiful sound.
'
I would go for it if you are thinking about it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Porsche needs to stop screwing around and bring back the 928.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:10 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Only problem with the Qudrifoglio is that in the most aggressive driving mode there's no ESP. And it CAN get very squirrels at high speed.

Brilliant drive though. Smooth, fast, sounds good, feels high quality...I was really impressed after driving one for a week.

Originally Posted by mpower1226
Now I'm in Alfa although I've got 4c, I have good amount of time in Giulia as well. The reliability is a question that everyone has but it seems to be very solid aside from initial software glitch(which was addressed right away through software update).

I am also eyeing on the Giulia Quadrifoglio, just waiting for used one to pop up with depreciation but doesnt seem to be case as ppl have been asking over msrp for few thousand km used on.

Anyway, had a good test drive with quadrifoglio at oakville masarati/alfa and oh boy is it fast. Very aggressive styling, very italian and very quick with beautiful sound.
'
I would go for it if you are thinking about it.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 AM
mpower1226
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Only problem with the Qudrifoglio is that in the most aggressive driving mode there's no ESP. And it CAN get very squirrels at high speed.

Brilliant drive though. Smooth, fast, sounds good, feels high quality...I was really impressed after driving one for a week.
That is also what I've heard.
Race mode turns everything off and flap open for exhaust.
Dynamic mode does have aids on but with flap closed so no loud exhaust tone.

I think aftermarket companies are working to change the tune so that dynamic mode can have exhaust open..

Anyway it seems to be a good alternative for m3/m4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren is biting into Porsche now...