Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   When does it make sense to insure thru Haggerty ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1003080-when-does-it-make-sense-to-insure-thru-haggerty.html)

lowbee 08-04-2017 01:32 PM

When does it make sense to insure thru Haggerty ?

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so I started this one....

Curious on when does it make sense to insure thru specialty insurance like Haggerty?

How old and/or special does your car needs to be ?

First thing that comes to mind is when your car's replacement value is much higher than what a regular insurance policy will pay out in case of a total lost, BUT ...

Does Haggerty offer better coverage at a lower rate than your regular ins company (if the car is not used for commuting to/form work) ?

I guess my main question is why and when to go with Haggerty?

TIA.

Adamant1971 08-04-2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by lowbee (Post 14372546)
Didn't want to hijack the other thread so I started this one....

Curious on when does it make sense to insure thru specialty insurance like Haggerty?

How old and/or special does your car needs to be ?

First thing that comes to mind is when your car's replacement value is much higher than what a regular insurance policy will pay out in case of a total lost, BUT ...

Does Haggerty offer better coverage at a lower rate than your regular ins company (if the car is not used for commuting to/form work) ?

I guess my main question is why and when to go with Haggerty?

TIA.

Lower premiums and an agreed value policy (19A).

Christien 08-04-2017 01:59 PM

What he said. I pay something like $4-500/year for agreed value way higher than any non-19A policy would ever pay out (because they're clueless) and the restrictions aren't such that I even notice them. The policy itself actually doesn't have any of the restrictions, so I'm not so sure how enforceable they are, anyway. But basically no racing and no commuting to work. The policy doesn't technically exclude DE events and lapping days, but I imagine if you had a claim from the track you'd have to fight. You'd win, but factor in time and hassle.

She did mention to me they're fine with you taking it to work the odd time, stopping at the mall or grocery store on the way home from a weekend cruise, stuff like that. The gist of it is they don't want you driving it all the time in higher-incident areas (commuting, shopping, etc.).

I've been with Hagerty for years (Silver Wheels through Aviva before Hagerty took it over) and I don't remember ever having to think twice about not taking the Porsche because I might not be covered. Oh, and coverage is year-round and the deductible is something ludicrously low like $100.

I believe the cutoff for age is 25 years, but I'm not positive about that.

EPOS 08-04-2017 08:45 PM

Hagerty was willing to insure my 997 GT3 with an agreed value, but the premium was insane. I believe they wanted $3700/yr whereas I'm currently paying $700 (after suspending for the winter)

Christien 08-04-2017 10:20 PM

A 997 wouldn't be a classic policy. I assume that's what the OP was asking about.

00Coupe 08-04-2017 10:25 PM

I had it quoted on my 996TT.. The cost was double of what I pay with TD, but benefit is the agreed payout..

It probably makes sense on an older vehicle or someone wanting the agreed payout..

Brian 162 08-04-2017 10:32 PM

A friend of mine went with Haggerty after he told his insurance company that he modified his car (added supercharger). His old company dropped him before he hung up the phone. BTW his car is a 2010 Camaro SS. Haggerty took him no questions asked.

ggrace 08-07-2017 12:00 PM

I called in about my 996. It is a bit more than my TD policy but I may switch because of the agreed upon value. I set $50k as the value, for the quote - which is $8k more than I paid. But I've since done the IMS Solution and a new clutch, that's about what my replacement would be.

993GT 08-07-2017 12:52 PM

did a quote, ~5x TD :roflmao:

ggrace 08-07-2017 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 993GT (Post 14380113)
did a quote, ~5x TD :roflmao:

Strange. It seemed fairly competitive with my TD policy. A bit of a premium for agreed value but small enough I was going to consider it.

I'll call and get the numbers again.

500 08-09-2017 11:19 AM

Interesting to hear the price variation...

We are currently with Haggerty for the 1985 Carrera and it is quite reasonable, but of course it comes with the usual restrictions, which are OK for the way we use the car.

You may want to ask Danny Kroll (Turbodan) as he is aware of a company that is an alternative to Haggerty that may be more competitive.

I was at Danny's place recently for an appraisal and he mentioned this other company, I forget the name right now (Danny will be sending me the details with the appraisal, but you may want to contact him directly for the lead in the meantime...)

Christien 08-10-2017 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 500 (Post 14386017)
You may want to ask Danny Kroll (Turdodan)

I think Danny might resent that typo! :roflmao:

500 08-10-2017 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 14387872)
I think Danny might resent that typo! :roflmao:

Wow! was that ever careless of me! Amazing how a "d" instead of a "b" could change things so much in certain circumstances...

Anyway, Danny did send me the name of the alternate "classic" insurer this morning. It is http://vintageautoinsurance.ca/

george44 08-24-2017 04:25 PM

I'll second Christien, I am using Hagerty for the '79 911 and for a 2003 Maserati which they classified as special interest vehicle as it's less than 25 years old. Very competitive pricing and really no strings attached. They do want you to have a normal car, they will only insure older and special interest vehicles. And that is of course correct nobody can check what you are doing and where you are using the car but if it is hit in the parking lot at the mall or on the highway Monday to Friday during rush hour it will be difficult to justify you were out for a joy ride. Play by the rules, no issues, it's all good.

George

basic 944 09-02-2017 11:31 PM

My 1987 944S costs only about $280/yr of which $100 is the unlimited (at least I think it is) towing package. The agreed value is $8500 (so obviously very low compared to typical stuff). Just another data point for those interested.