Notices

Insurance for and 996 LS3 conversion questions Ontario

Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance for and 996 LS3 conversion questions Ontario

I know many think it's blasphemy, being a die hard Porsche guy I understand the sentiment, but as these cars get older I see engine failures and to say a rebuild isn't cheap is an understatement.
I hate to see a beautiful car get parted out over a failed engine.

I'd love to give a LS3 conversion a shot, but due to hot rod rules I don't know if it's worth the hassles. To conversion rules are fairly straight forward, it would need to be bone stock, factory LS3 ECU, cats, mufflers, emissions and the hardest part is it has to have a OBD2 port at or beside the original port.
This I have the ability to do the deed.
I figure this solution still wouldn't be cheap but likely a fair bit cheaper than a full rebuild, I'm guessing cost would be halfway between a full rebuild and a used/serviced 996 engine.

Insurance for and LS3 conversion Ontario questions, likely you can get Haggerty but that would limit your car to a weekend/show driver. I don't know if you could insure it as a summer DD or what the cost would be.
Is there any insurance guy's here that would hazard a guess?

Right now I'm just wondering out loud, but it has come up several times talking to customers and I'd just like to be able to give them an informed opinion.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I to wondered about how the insurance would handle it as well. I think if you explain to them that the Porsche has a chev engine in it, they could then revalue the worth of the car to insure it. Regardless you have to inform them of any modifications that are done that are not OEM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

call Vintage insurance they have a policy for modified cars.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

from my research, the LS conversion was a few thousand cheaper than building my 3.6 to a 4.0.

then you have 2 ECU's to deal with. So you will need to find an etest facility willing to work with you. You know the 1st question "Which ECU do we plug into?"

and when i was looking, they didnt have all the guages on the car working, that may have changed.

I was seriously looking at the swap, who wouldnt want 450= Hp with this chassis, but figured it would be even more of a headache to get running properly and legally in Onterrible.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
from my research, the LS conversion was a few thousand cheaper than building my 3.6 to a 4.0.....
Can you give an idea on scale ? For example, a few K (say $5K) out of $40K is 12.5% of the total cost but a $5K out of $25K is 20% of the total cost so what are we talking about here ?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

i have haggerty on mine and the only real limitation is not using it for work. It is true I only use it for weekend drives as I just don't have the time for anything else, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it or whatever I wanted as long as it wasnt to commute to work. They might value it differently than a 99 with a Porsche engine but who cares really.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance for and 996 LS3 conversion questions Ontario