Notices

Cayenne Diesel Emission Settlement in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If you are leasing you shouldn't be getting anything back really. Take what they offer and be happy since leasing is a fancy name for renting. You won't be ever owning it unless you buy it AFTER the renting is up and that point you can just walk away if you don't like what the emission scandal "did" to you.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 2013 CD since new (Vancouver BC) and recently received the recall letter as well. From the letter looks like settlement amount CAD7,800 or buy back (not sure how much) or trade in factoring the settlement amount into the trade.

However, if I wish to keep the car and receive compensation, the recall repair has to be made before any compensation. I still like this pig. After the repair, performance and consumption will suffer.. Now not sure
whether to trade in for the new generation or just keep it.. Anyone here been offered trade in value ?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found this thread, trying to resurrect it.
I guess we are awaiting Canadian court approval of the settlement, in early April.
I have a 2013 CD, bought new in late 2012.
Local Porsche dealer has already been doing fixes, I was just in a few days ago (test drove '17 C2S service loaner!). Buddy of mine had his Q7 (not sure of MY) fixed about a month ago.

Is the understanding that compensation won't be paid unless fix is in place? Seemed to me there was as ?split payment in U.S. (half up front, half after fix)?.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering delaying the fix, for as long as I can, over potential post-fix drivability and other (fuel/DEF consumption) issues.

I know that I am happy with how my CD drives, prefix and am a bit concerned that it may degrade post fix.

Thoughts ?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

I have a 16 A6 TDI. My understanding of the letter is that settlement has not been approved. You can go ahead with the fix without forfeiting your right to the settlement. So in short you can do it or wait and still get paid. As to whether you don't get paid until the fix is done I don't recall what my letter stated.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, the court date in Ontario to approve the settlement is April 5.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Originally Posted by SToronto
I have a 16 A6 TDI. My understanding of the letter is that settlement has not been approved. You can go ahead with the fix without forfeiting your right to the settlement. So in short you can do it or wait and still get paid. As to whether you don't get paid until the fix is done I don't recall what my letter stated.
This is correct (and you get no money until the fix is done). I have a '13 CD with 112,000kms and had the fix done. No noticeable differences whatsoever to me. One caveat: I don't use it for towing so can't comment on that. My advice is to get the fix done and then you can keep it, or sell it or trade it in for something else. Mine is for sale as I type, just because I've never had a vehicle this long before. Great SUV but time for something new.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012
Just found this thread, trying to resurrect it.
I guess we are awaiting Canadian court approval of the settlement, in early April.
I have a 2013 CD, bought new in late 2012.
Local Porsche dealer has already been doing fixes, I was just in a few days ago (test drove '17 C2S service loaner!). Buddy of mine had his Q7 (not sure of MY) fixed about a month ago.

Is the understanding that compensation won't be paid unless fix is in place? Seemed to me there was as ?split payment in U.S. (half up front, half after fix)?.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering delaying the fix, for as long as I can, over potential post-fix drivability and other (fuel/DEF consumption) issues.

I know that I am happy with how my CD drives, prefix and am a bit concerned that it may degrade post fix.

Thoughts ?
The pollution for a non fixed diesel is 40 times what is allowed. fix your car or give it back. Do you care about the environment or have kids? . It should be mandated that the cars be fixed or off the road. We have enough pollution. BTW After the fix it supposedly drives similar to before.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

+1
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
The pollution for a non fixed diesel is 40 times what is allowed. fix your car or give it back. Do you care about the environment or have kids? . It should be mandated that the cars be fixed or off the road. We have enough pollution. BTW After the fix it supposedly drives similar to before.
i agree with you that those with diesels should get the update. But how much does your ancient 944 pollute compared to a modern car? Think of the children. It’s easy to criticize others while not looking in the mirror.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Turbodan, I am gathering the garage you list are older vehicles and not pet names for your slew of expired public transit passes.

Tracking your 996 (and others)? That has been modified? Modified to...decrease your emissions? For - necessary transportation?

Tell you what. Since *you* have raised this, this is what you're going to do:

1. You are going to review your commuting and leisure motor vehicle use and calculate your excess emissions against my 9 - 10,000 km/year use of my Cayenne Diesel.

2. PM me the results

3. Keep your unsolicited opinions as self-anointed Rennlist green/morality cop off of these threads.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Ahhhh the treehuggers finally surfaced! Regardless of having all the pollution controls on it or not, how much does a track car pollute during a race weekend? How much does my son's go kart pollute during a race day? All these are done for entertainment, maybe they should be banned? The 40x is just a number that the government came up with. That 40x was half as much 10 years ago.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Ahhhh the treehuggers finally surfaced!
Kill all the cows - eat salads!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...rs-427843.html
Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012
Turbodan, I am gathering the garage you list are older vehicles and not pet names for your slew of expired public transit passes.

Tracking your 996 (and others)? That has been modified? Modified to...decrease your emissions? For - necessary transportation?

Tell you what. Since *you* have raised this, this is what you're going to do:

1. You are going to review your commuting and leisure motor vehicle use and calculate your excess emissions against my 9 - 10,000 km/year use of my Cayenne Diesel.

2. PM me the results

3. Keep your unsolicited opinions as self-anointed Rennlist green/morality cop off of these threads.
First off when you asked for "Thoughts?" you were soliciting opinions. you got what you asked for. Sorry you don't like the truth and being called you out as a CHEATER.
Secondly all of my cars have catalytic converters and pass the government mandated rules for the years manufactured. My cars are all LEGAL.
I have read about pollution levels in European cities going up large amounts during the recent years, just based on VW/Audi/Porsche vehicles cheating. Your car is known to be cheating and you want to continue to CHEAT.

The discussion about race cars is a joke as it is so miniscule the amount of race cars that run around (partly due to time/availablitity/cost to run) and pollution from race cars is tiny...very different than a manufacturer producing cars for the public streets and CHEATING and owner's not wanting to fix.
And all this law breaking so you can drive a beautiful sports car fast? no its for a Diesel SUV! Get if fixed or sell it back to the manufacturer!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

So..... not to get back on point or anything 😉

Anyone know what the actual fix is ? Is it a software de-tune or is there hardware involved ?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:24 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

this... why are the automakers 'cheating', because a theoretical politically-derived number can't be met... FWIW, 996Turbo was the first (IIRC) supercar to clean the air (tailpipe cleaner than air intake) in any major city on the planet....
A university in UK has just claimed an extremely effective and cost efficient way to cut NOX emissions on diesels...
Originally Posted by Imo000
The 40x is just a number that the government came up with. That 40x was half as much 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Emission Settlement in Canada