Notices

Shipping 964 from UK to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, I returned to Australia in 2003 from the UK and imported my 1996 993. Yes the paperwork was daunting and the total cost including registration was around $16k. Adding this to my purchase price in the Uk I was still in front as 993's command a good price here in Australia. It's currently valued at $88k for insurance. I was worried about the valuation for duties but it's based on the wholesale value, not retail. Do the sums, if the purchase price plus extras in getting it into Australia is less than you would pay for one here go for it, at least you know the car and wont have to start over again. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Hilton
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Q
- imports have terrible resale value.
- pitfalls:
1) resale value
2) resale value
3) resale value
....... especially something as undesirable as a Cayenne.
- tip: Carefully reread MC968CS's hindsight comment of bringing back something more exotic.
+1 - cayenne's aren't that expensive in Aus, and due to the fact that they're selling like hotcakes here, your import will be worthless forever..

If you want to import something worthwhile, pick something exclusive, and that can't be imported to Oz under the SEVS scheme or pre-89 scheme. (if you look at the SEVS list, you'll see its possible to import ferrari's, lambo's, maserati's etc. without doing the Personal Import thing)

If you want to bring a fun car that will hold (or gain) its value well, then something rare and desireable in Oz, which can no longer be bought here.. e.g.

BMW M3 CSL would be a very good choice at current UK prices
993 of any type, especially rarer ones like Turbo or GT2
996 GT2 or Mk1 GT3
968 CS
928 manual GTS
Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xlot
+1 - cayenne's aren't that expensive in Aus, and due to the fact that they're selling like hotcakes here, your import will be worthless forever..

If you want to import something worthwhile, pick something exclusive, and that can't be imported to Oz under the SEVS scheme or pre-89 scheme. (if you look at the SEVS list, you'll see its possible to import ferrari's, lambo's, maserati's etc. without doing the Personal Import thing)

If you want to bring a fun car that will hold (or gain) its value well, then something rare and desireable in Oz, which can no longer be bought here.. e.g.

BMW M3 CSL would be a very good choice at current UK prices
993 of any type, especially rarer ones like Turbo or GT2
996 GT2 or Mk1 GT3
968 CS
928 manual GTS
interesting - that being the case are brokers/individuals importing these types of cars from Japan?
as we know Japanese cars in general are all exceptionally low mileage (on average say 2500km per yr), forcibly well maintained (gov't "shak-ken" system)
and there is a wealth of these types of special cars there.
shipping distance is small, and prices generally (at least for porsche which is market I know best) are lower than/on par with Euro market.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
interesting - that being the case are brokers/individuals importing these types of cars from Japan?
short answer is no.
long answer..
almost impossible for brokers to import late model cars that were sold here new.
individuals can - with conditions
Xlot's post covers our limited options.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q
short answer is no.
long answer..
almost impossible for brokers to import late model cars that were sold here new.
individuals can - with conditions
Xlot's post covers our limited options.
noted so for individuals may work.....for interest here's relatively extensive listing of 993's on the market in japan....plus 160 cars including some very nice turbo's
just click on any picture to get more detailed pics/information

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/sea...1994&YMAX=1998

here's my personal favorite....89 from the factory flatnose turbo with 27,000km...approx US$ equiv 80,000

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...226/index.html

Quick Reply: Shipping 964 from UK to Australia