Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mark. Both tyres seem very close in performance then. They have very similar groove patterns and I also found the Z221 quite manageable in the wet. I think either option would work very well on the MegRS as an out and out track day choice. From my experience the Z221 in 235/40R18 (I used the exact same fitment for the front of my 993 on the track) is quite "square" meaning when we measured it up for clearance it had the width of a 245 road tyre. Im sure the DZ03G shows similar profile. So a further benefit is you get a slightly fatter contact patch with these tyres than you would get from a road tyre etc. Im sure they will make more like 2s a lap difference at Taupo over a fast road tyre but Im trying to be a bit realistic in my expectations. Grip is great, but you need to get power to the ground so I suspect driving style with the FWD car will take some experimentation to get best results.

One of the nice things about the Meg is being able to rotate tyres easily at the end of each day. Nice benefit over the staggered fitments we are used to with Porsche.

Interestingly our young Frenchman ended up recently using 255 up front on a 9J rim with 235 at rear on 9J. Im assuming to give more grip and allow more turn in oversteer. Not sure if he found any benefits with that set up but kinda ruins the square set up advantage IMO.
that short shifter looks like a must have.
I have run o3G for many years and have found them to be a great all round tyre for Targa in both R2 and M2 compound. The harder R2 is very durable and I used 4 tyres for the whole of the 4 1/2 days of this years event. Also had 4 M2 but no rain this year and decided to not use them so can save a new set for next winter event. Interestingly I spoke to a front runner who had o3G and 221s on this years Targa and he said they are similar but found the 221s a bit more progressive at the limit. re shocks it is easier to set up for a fast track time with springs etc but the trade off for a fast back road set up especially in NZ, is much more severe. Too bumpy. Ppl say the Nring is bumpy but in reality it is mostly smooth and only bumpy at certain points. 10k for Ohlins seems quite expensive - I am sure there are R&T sets for M2 cheaper than that. So key thing is whether you are trying to set up for all round performance or just track
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interestingly our young Frenchman ended up recently using 255 up front on a 9J rim with 235 at rear on 9J. Im assuming to give more grip and allow more turn in oversteer. Not sure if he found any benefits with that set up but kinda ruins the square set up advantage IMO.
Most probably more corner exit grip. Its pretty easy to get turn in with trailing throttle/brake with fwd
Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
that short shifter looks like a must have.
I have run o3G for many years and have found them to be a great all round tyre for Targa in both R2 and M2 compound. The harder R2 is very durable and I used 4 tyres for the whole of the 4 1/2 days of this years event. Also had 4 M2 but no rain this year and decided to not use them so can save a new set for next winter event. Interestingly I spoke to a front runner who had o3G and 221s on this years Targa and he said they are similar but found the 221s a bit more progressive at the limit. re shocks it is easier to set up for a fast track time with springs etc but the trade off for a fast back road set up especially in NZ, is much more severe. Too bumpy. Ppl say the Nring is bumpy but in reality it is mostly smooth and only bumpy at certain points. 10k for Ohlins seems quite expensive - I am sure there are R&T sets for M2 cheaper than that. So key thing is whether you are trying to set up for all round performance or just track
Thanks Graeme. Great data points on the DZO3G. I found the Z221 very progressive on the limit. They are hands down a better track tyre than Cup2/TrofeoR etc.

Yeah, its a real tricky one regards the suspension. I dont want to compromise the cars handling ability on fast road as Id like to be able to set it up for Targa (Tour). I would rather pay a small price on track and retain some compliance for fast road to be honest. The KW Clubsport will probably manage both quite well. The really serious ring junkies with the FWD cars have the front springs changed out on the KW suspension set up but that would definitely tip the balance to track. From my experience NZ roads are much much bumpier than USA/Europe and even UK and its just so much more important here to have some contact patch on all four corners meeting the road as often as possible in NZ, plus the bumps here are "short and sharp" rather than flowing depressions like on the Ring so you need a set up that's not going to get caught out I guess.

Im sure there are better struts out there but Im not doing any more pioneering. The lowest cost way to get the Meg running competitively against the Porsches at the track is probably to follow those that have gone before :-)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Miracles of the modern age!

A week ago I didn't know anything about setting up a Renault Megane RS 275. Heck I didnt even own one at that stage!

Today a man in a nice red van (Ill call him Santa as he was rotund) delivered this little stash from the UK. Even better still my wife was out :-). Its been a while since I bought any go better/faster bits for a car...

Hope to have all this stuff bolted on and well tried out by the end of month...
  • 20mm wheel spacer set 2 x 2 with stud conversion.
  • K-Tec racing de-cat pipe stainless.
  • M Tech short shift kit (gearbox mounted)
  • M Tech/KTR lower gearbox/engine mount (stiffer/stronger)
  • Ferodo DS1.11 front pads for brembo claipers
  • PFC rear carbon metallic pads
  • KTR foam panel filter

John (you are the King of inbound parts delivery), you'd appreciate how little this stuff cost compared to Porsche bits.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Audidude
I'm sure that the Megane, well set up, would be quicker my Integra IF it was lighter. I'm 1080kg with me in car (guess my weight! be generous ��), but the Megane has about 80hp and 200nm more - hey we know Hondas VTec is not a torque junkie... So that's over 300kg difference!
The suspension and LSD in the Megane are brilliant stock, but with Ohlins or KW would be a killer punch.

Weight is king on the track, of course.
Mark, those Honda's go impressively quickly around the track for what they are/cost etc Better still if they still have plates and you can drive them on the road.

You are right of course. Weight is the key here. The Megane would be close to 1470kg with me driving (figure my weight ;-)). Thats 400kg more than your Honda!

Id love to get the Megane down to a fighting weight of 1300kg with fuel and fluids no driver. However to do so would seriously compromise its ability as a road car and also likely seriously test my wallet. Im very firm on my budget/commitment around total spending on this package - it will not exceed my previously stated figure (one of the reasons I didnt invest the extra dollars into intercooler etc).

One idea I have and you may beable to help me on this? Are the rear seats easy to remove? If they are simple to unbolt I thought it could be viable to take them out at a track day, have a bolt on triangle made for each end (trolley jack to support teh middle from underneath) so we had some Pitl-ane seats on track days (Im always jealous of those who remember to bring a fold up seat!). It could be a laugh and would pull maybe 45kg from the car. add 15kg saving from battery = 60kg with no compromise - final weight 1325kg etc.

Do you thinks that's possible or an I dreaming?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

John (you are the King of inbound parts delivery), you'd appreciate how little this stuff cost compared to Porsche bits.
I do enjoy package arrivals and I've had plenty arrive over the years It's slowing down now though as I run out of things to fix/service. As for cost, yes the Porsche Tax is real. Hopefully it will be spread out over a couple of decades of ownership.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark, those Honda's go impressively quickly around the track for what they are/cost etc Better still if they still have plates and you can drive them on the road.

You are right of course. Weight is the key here. The Megane would be close to 1470kg with me driving (figure my weight ;-)). Thats 400kg more than your Honda!

Id love to get the Megane down to a fighting weight of 1300kg with fuel and fluids no driver. However to do so would seriously compromise its ability as a road car and also likely seriously test my wallet. Im very firm on my budget/commitment around total spending on this package - it will not exceed my previously stated figure (one of the reasons I didnt invest the extra dollars into intercooler etc).

One idea I have and you may beable to help me on this? Are the rear seats easy to remove? If they are simple to unbolt I thought it could be viable to take them out at a track day, have a bolt on triangle made for each end (trolley jack to support teh middle from underneath) so we had some Pitl-ane seats on track days (Im always jealous of those who remember to bring a fold up seat!). It could be a laugh and would pull maybe 45kg from the car. add 15kg saving from battery = 60kg with no compromise - final weight 1325kg etc.

Do you thinks that's possible or an I dreaming?
I do actually have a factory original '96 ITR in mint condition 84,000kms only, with plates that I drive on the road.... but that one's staying factory original

Can't help you re removing the rear seats, as I haven't done it, but the squabs tilt forward with a front hinge and I doubt they would be difficult, as for the back rests - shouldn't be too hard to check it out - I'm guessing it won't be that difficult.

Take out the ABS, booster and aircon and you'd really make progress
Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Audidude
Racer

• M Tech short shift kit (gearbox mounted)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I have one of these - bought off Trademe for $150, but am yet to fit it! - I'm a bit mechanically challenged and need a good dose of time - something in short supply in my life!

I'd love to know how you find it to give me an indication whether it's worth the trouble....and probable difficulties for someone like me

What did it cost to land here new IYDMMA?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

This thread has a new lease of life!! The French invasion looks really interesting- I must admit I’m envious, having equally matched cars to hoon around the track in is the holy grail as far as RSG track days are concerned (IMO at least) and I’d love to be able to join in.

Macca, might be worth installing a GPS in the Renault before it goes in for a tune...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/98623...ry-of-disputes
Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have one of these - bought off Trademe for $150, but am yet to fit it! - I'm a bit mechanically challenged and need a good dose of time - something in short supply in my life!

I'd love to know how you find it to give me an indication whether it's worth the trouble....and probable difficulties for someone like me

What did it cost to land here new IYDMMA?
It was 100 quid plus GST NZ end. It looks simple enough to actually install but a PITA to get to. Probably a 2+ hour job once you take stuff out and put it back again etc. It will probably be the last job I do...but Ive read good things. Ive had very mixed experience with "short shifter kits" but they have all been ones that change the shift linkage position from the shifter. This one changes the location of the pick up ball joint at the gearbox end and apparently simply reduces the throw by 30%.

The CAE shift tower is really nice and everyone says works a treat. However this car is our household back up hack, and guest wheels (we seem to have alot of international visitors since we returned to NZ!) so I dont want it looking like a WRC car.

Same goes for aircon and ABS. If I wanted a race car I would have bought one (and a trailer, then borrowed the wife's wagon with the tow bar and then it goes on and on). However, if the rear seats can be unbolted in 10 minutes and make a nice pew for a few RSG chummies to sit on while having their lunch at the track could be 45kg win win all round.

The problem I suspect is it may be two separate pieces as you elude to. Might come out ok but not provide my trackside pew facility as I was intending.

Heres the schematic for it.

Good old frenchies even have a "seat utility conversion" kit for the car - probably designed to avoid some form of tax - but used by the french track junkies to eliminate the rear seat and spare wheel hole etc LOL!
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2017, 03:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I do actually have a factory original '96 ITR in mint condition 84,000kms only, with plates that I drive on the road.... but that one's staying factory original
Sweet car. I never really appreciated them in their day. Funny thing is since playing at the track I have more and more respect for the Japanese in what they achieved with the chassis/engine in this car. Like the S2000 high on the list of best Japanese metal ever.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
This thread has a new lease of life!! The French invasion looks really interesting- I must admit I’m envious, having equally matched cars to hoon around the track in is the holy grail as far as RSG track days are concerned (IMO at least) and I’d love to be able to join in.

Macca, might be worth installing a GPS in the Renault before it goes in for a tune...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/98623...ry-of-disputes
There is possibly still one left Jake if you change your mind :-). asked the importer today to see if he can bring a couple more in - but not sure what the price will look like now, as these ones were bought when the yen was trading at 82.5. In truth I think the importer has realized these could have sold for 40K or more all day long!

I tried the "one make series" by swapping the GT3 for GT4 as you will know. It worked pretty well. However you get ultra competitive (witness Leong and I hammer and tongs at the track). This is where the risk increases and where cheaper metal becomes prudent. Im sure Pel, myself, Tony and others will have a great time chasing each other, but the extra fun part will be seeing if we can keep up with the expensive german metal...

There is no way any GPS is going in my car Jake lol. These cars dont even have Sat Nav in them and that suits me just fine. Less to go wrong, less weight and less to incriminate LOL. It is a shame how the who Taupo tuner thing has panned out. Ive visited the shop and spoken to the owner and staff a few times. Wasnt really my scene (I was interested till they told me there was no dyno in Taupo and then I dropped all inquiry - I did 10-20 hours on dynos with the 993 Link conversion using two Auckland facilities and wouldnt tine without one for a hard working car). However I was supportive of their success as a local business and its a real shame how the whole thing ended up...
Old 11-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im cognoscente that this thread has kicked back to life with a bit of a bang but also mindful of the bandwidth Ive been taking up here last few days, especially given its non Porsche related content.

Ill play the "rediscovered exuberance" card as Ive really missed the banter we used to have around here and Ive probably overdone it taking up too much air. FB has been a disappointment for me. Its good for organizing events, asking questions and posting links to news items or trade adverts I think.

Lets see if this thing can take some life back on its own. Ill clear the airwaves for a bit as Im sure there is more relevant banter than Maccas Rendezvous in Paris...
Old 11-08-2017, 04:11 AM
Audidude
Racer

Nah, keep it going, Macca.
Chewing any fat on cars is great.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread endured a 2k cup patch a while ago, im sure it will survive the Megane phase. Been watching this guys videos lately, was a clan of them, its like a really fast b road run. He's since moved on to a Seat.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?