Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Good clip. Couple of observations; the girls doing the leather looked quite nice and the dude doing up the conrod big ends is hopefully not the same guy that did the 991 GT3's and used the wrong bolts.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Happy New Year to all. And thanks -the shared tips, tragedies (let's have less of those for 2015) and triumphs of this thread have helped make my 2014 and got me out onto new tracks and into vehicles I'd otherwise never have have known.

John - congrats on the Cayenne and thanks for continuing to post your impressions. It looks to be exactly the right horse for your course and your posts have enlightened me as to how well they serve as fast and comfortable mile eaters with heavy tow capacity.

Thanks - can picture it now with the Wakatipu scenery streaming by. Nice!

Very well put Graeme. Know exactly what you are talking about with the light single seaters too, thanks to the Formula Challenge (ex Formula Suzuki) cars. Bit like the difference between fighting with a samurai sword versus a scottish claymore when compared to the 996T. Both get the job done but one is so much more responsive that you always have more options open to you in the tight stuff. Formula One of course combines lightness and big power so you get the best of both worlds, albeit at huge cost.

I'm with Matt in believing that coaching and practice are the most important performance factors though, as most learned skills can be applied to anything with wheels. I need more of both still but already my 'Black Beauty' Integra GSI time at HD is only a second or two off the hottest lap I ran in the Turbo in the dry at my first DE track day with Jonny Reid in the passenger seat.

HP is tricky stuff and I initially lapped a little slower after adding at least 80 more to mine, while getting used to the new throttle response and braking requirements. I added the power to wake it up as a daily driver rather than to shave seconds but now that I'm used to it I'd say there's a second a lap - or maybe two at the very outside - of extra speed in it, all else being equal. This makes sense as there is only something like 10-12 seconds or so of full throttle at Hampton, with the extra power going unused during braking and practically all the cornering. That's with all else staying the same. Add much stickier tyres or upgraded suspension plus maybe a touch more aero, and more of that power can be used, though most of those benefits would have applied to the previous power level anyway.

You'll know this already, but given a similar power to weight ratio, and similar drivetrain (f/r 2WD/AWD) lighter and heavier cars will have similar acceleration to 100kph since it is mainly the inertia of the weight that is being fought there and their ratios are the same. And the lighter one should run rings around the heavy one in the twisties for similar reasons, as cornering is essentially about fighting the inertia (momentum) that wants to take the car straight ahead. Where the bigger power of the heavier car really pays off is in fighting air resistance which goes up geometrically with the square of the speed. So more powerful heavier cars will considerably out-accelerate the lighter, lower-powered car from 100-200, and even more so once above 200kph. A killer advantage at fast tracks like Spa, Le Mans or the Nurburgring - not so much at your Hockenheims or Hampton Downs!
Mate agree with you re the impact of air resistance. Thing is on track it never really feels genuinely fast until you are travelling at 160kph + so a big power car still has the acceleration pushing it at a great rate to make if feel sledgehammer fast whereas small motor LW cars don't.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Happy New Year to you all!

Here's some tips for you men for 2015. Macca, Annette was watching this over my shoulder and you can guess what bit she almost spat her coffee out at lol.

haha like this - gonna post onto my fb and see what response I get from the ladies. Thx for sharing
Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Happy New Year to you all!

Here's some tips for you men for 2015. Macca, Annette was watching this over my shoulder and you can guess what bit she almost spat her coffee out at lol.
Best reason for the internet yet. Could have saved me much consternation if I'd had this tactical briefing going in...
Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now that I have the seats in I thought I'd post up my thoughts on them.

I originally bought these seats because Macca has them in his 993 so I have seen them in the flesh, sat in them, know the finish etc and they were well priced. The other reason is that they are period correct for the car.

Overall the experience was good. Dealing with Border was a little difficult at times due to the language differences etc and I honestly wasn't entirely sure I was going to get what I had ordered until I had opened the boxes despite trying very hard to be as clear as possible. Thankfully I did! For example in the end I was only charged for one set of suede inserts instead of two as they thought I only wanted them for one seat?! So be really clear with your communications, I even provided photoshopped pictures with arrows etc!

For the price they are great seats. Mine are not "flawless" and below is pics of a few "blemishes" although you would only spot them if you were looking for imperfections.

1) The carbon weave in the odd place has moved so the thread isn't straight. Again you probably wouldn't notice this unless you had the seats out and inspecting them.

2) There is one small section around 10-15mm where the stitching isn't tight.

3) The stitching where your shoulder blades are appears to be quite tight and "pulling". I emailed Border and this was their response.... Dear James, It is normal, don’t worry

Other than that they look great. The items above would only bother you if you are a Virgo That is the only downside of buying offshore that it is very difficult for the company to provide a resolution if something isn't right.

Now Macca paid circa $1800 for his a few years back. Since then they have increased the cost of the seats and the sliders and rails are now extra too. My seats cost in total $2972.05 NZD all up including gst, customs, freight etc. That was for two seats, rails, sliders and a second set of suede inserts. Gst, customs, duty etc was $375.44

So a lot more than Macca paid and I'd had hoped to have more left over from my sports seat sale to fund some more mods. Some of this would have been due to the exchange rate as well.

Overall they are a great seat and look good in the car. I've shed some weight and the interior looks "new" again. The seats will also provide me with more support than the Sport Seats Sofas.
Attached Images        
Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

More pics...
Attached Images        
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

James. Looks good. If any consolation my CF weave is a bit squiffy around the same spot. I looked at a set of Recaro PP in CF (rare) in a race car at Rennsport Motorsport Weekend in Sydney last may and it seemed teh CF was off in places too. I think its pretty hard to use single sheets of CF with shapes like this without nip and tuck and some movement of the fabric during the wet lay process.

The stitching you show left and right on the fronts where you back goes is the same as mine. Its not as obvious on mine because they classic grey. I thought the leather looked stressed there and would tear eventually but after 3 years, 20,000km and lots of track and road work they look exactly the same as they did when delivered in that area so it must just be the way they finish off the stitching there (tension for strength and tying off etc).

They arent perfect but they are very light, comfortable especially for a taller driver, have the benefit of being sized to suit a larger waist/*** not an Italian midget racing driver like the Recaro PPs and at least they were good value back at the time I ordered them when the sliders and side mounts were included in the price. I did pay extra for some alacantera inserts to be made (slightly thicker quab) and shipped a few months after receiving the seats. Im gald I did that as I have the original inserts sitting new as spares and the alcantara ones have worn well and been comfy.

At 3000 NZD they are "fair value" I think (by way of contrast black leather Recaro PPs, with side mounts and sliders landed would probably be over 5K with GST etc. However I concede they arent the bargain they were when I bought them...
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
James. Looks good. If any consolation my CF weave is a bit squiffy around the same spot. I looked at a set of Recaro PP in CF (rare) in a race car at Rennsport Motorsport Weekend in Sydney last may and it seemed teh CF was off in places too. I think its pretty hard to use single sheets of CF with shapes like this without nip and tuck and some movement of the fabric during the wet lay process.

The stitching you show left and right on the fronts where you back goes is the same as mine. Its not as obvious on mine because they classic grey. I thought the leather looked stressed there and would tear eventually but after 3 years, 20,000km and lots of track and road work they look exactly the same as they did when delivered in that area so it must just be the way they finish off the stitching there (tension for strength and tying off etc).

They arent perfect but they are very light, comfortable especially for a taller driver, have the benefit of being sized to suit a larger waist/*** not an Italian midget racing driver like the Recaro PPs and at least they were good value back at the time I ordered them when the sliders and side mounts were included in the price. I did pay extra for some alacantera inserts to be made (slightly thicker quab) and shipped a few months after receiving the seats. Im gald I did that as I have the original inserts sitting new as spares and the alcantara ones have worn well and been comfy.

At 3000 NZD they are "fair value" I think (by way of contrast black leather Recaro PPs, with side mounts and sliders landed would probably be over 5K with GST etc. However I concede they arent the bargain they were when I bought them...
Ahh interesting I didn't realise you got the inserts after. I agree with the CF laying and it didn't bother me. Just trying to give a fair evaluation of them for anyone reading and considering buying. Honestly you only really notice when they are out of the car. Funny your comments about fit as I am a "medium" sized guy and mine fight from on me, even Annette commented on the size/fit.

The link to Border seats is here http://www.border.com.tw/admin/produ...p?id=45&upid=3

At the end of the day I doubt you would find a set that meets the same criteria for less $$.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Ok, so who has been out driving their Porsche?Please tell us about it and an occasional pic would be nice too. :-)
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Ok, so who has been out driving their Porsche?Please tell us about it and an occasional pic would be nice too. :-)
Does going to Bunnings in the Cayenne count?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:42 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

As a matter of interest what weight of these seats vs the PP's
Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 AM
shiraz
Racer

Originally Posted by O2GO View Post

washed yesterday, wax today ( year to year care - lol). Am looking for aerotwin wipers (Bosch), wife currently in Germany, but that will be upside down wiper. Where do I buy in NZ without getting reamed?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:29 AM
shiraz
Racer

Bosch AR18U & AR16U retro fit for J hook
Old 01-01-2015, 02:19 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt38088
As a matter of interest what weight of these seats vs the PP's
From a previous post of Macca's "They weigh about 26lb each including side brackets and sliders".
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats correct. I weighed them at approximately 12kg each using the hand strap digital scales I use when we travel for measuring our suitcase weight....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?