Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

i know you guys are looking at some very high end road/ semi slick tyres but anywho. the last set i got was Toyo T1R's 225/55/R16’s and 245/45/R16’s via a relly of a workmate from Mag and Tyre Direct Ph:09-5801371. all up for balance and fitting was less than $950. he's moved on now but I liked how quick they were while still paying attention to detail like hiding the wheel weights inboard on my fuchs and torquing my wheel nuts to spec.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Guys. A few of us on here order our tyres from Tirerack.com. They now ship to NZ. $500 usd for 4 day service. Graham just landed the new Michelin Pilot Sports for his GT3 (now sold) for around $2400 nzd landed including freight and GST. These retail over $3600 with discounts in NZ. Another lister got a full set of Corsas for 2300 nzd landed. Its about 30% saving and arrives much quicker than many NZ dealers can even get the tyres in. FYI thats all but Tirerack are now growing their export business so service is excellent in this regard....
Hi Macca, you posting from Cuba? Anyway, hoping you can steer me to the right Michelin Pilot Sports. I want matching N rated, but am confused by the choice of tread pattern etc. They all seem to have similar prices.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mate. Not sure they even have internet in Cuba, although I am told my Blackberry will work there! We haven't left VU yet. Next stop is NZ Targa then USA and onwards ...

IMHO the new Michelin Super Sports are the best call you can make. Awesome reviews on 911s and other, not yet N rated but they will be soon and they really take off where the PS2 finished. The PS2 is good too but not the "ribbed" version. Graham has the super sport and was happy with them and I have a friend just done 3000km with them on his e39 M5 and says they are brilliant wet and dry. The reviews and test data speak for themselves...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport
Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty interesting report in today's rags re the planned Puke upgrade. Don't know how they plan to go to add 3 more corners on the back straight prior to the hairpin. Looks like they are adding approx 70m to track length so more than just a chicane! Looking at an aerial shot of the track I'm struggling to see how they could get anything significant in without compromising the horseracing on the infield?

Something else for you to look forward to Sean!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...e-ahead-of-V8s
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A google search shows that Hyper Tyres in Penrose charge $30 to fit and balance tyres purchased elsewhere.
A minor warning with Hyper. Maybe I was unlucky but I had a full new set of SO2As put on the C4 there a month ago. I snuck into the workshop to observe (read make sure they knew what they were doing) and the guy nearly jacked the car at the sill. I pointed out the jacking points and advised him to take care not to crack the plastic around it. The next day I found the front left flat and took it back and it turns out they cracked the rim fitting the tyre. To their credit they paid for the welding repair and at the same time I got both LH wheels reconditioned. I don't think I'll go back to Hyper.

Last edited by 964X33; 10-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the Spam. If your're genuine then you've been hacked and you can edit your post. If not, then that's what the 'Report Post' button is for....

Thank you moderator.

Last edited by John McM; 10-17-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
A minor warning with Hyper. Maybe I was unlucky but I had a full new set of SO2As put on the C4 there a month ago. I snuck into the workshop to observe (read make sure they knew what they were doing) and the guy nearly jacked the car at the sill. I pointed out the jacking points and advised him to take care not to crack the plastic around it. The next day I found the front left flat and took it back and it turns out they cracked the rim fitting the tyre. To their credit they paid for the welding repair and at the same time I got both LH wheels reconditioned. I don't think I'll go back to Hyper.
Thanks for the heads up. Any other suggestions? To be honest, if I was a tyre fitter the risk/reward is not there with expensive rims. Imagine what a Speedline would set you back compared to a $30 fee.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

John,
I can vouch for the Michelin's. They wanted 4K, here and I imported some from tyre rack for $2400NZ all up. Huge savings. Took about 4 days!

They are also quiter than the Pirelli and stuck like the preverbial to the blanket.
It's what I will be using on the new car as well when it's time.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993MAN
John,
I can vouch for the Michelin's. They wanted 4K, here and I imported some from tyre rack for $2400NZ all up. Huge savings. Took about 4 days

They are also quiter than the Pirelli and stuck like the preverbial to the blanket.
It's what I will be using on the new car as well when it's time.
I'm torn between getting one order of parts from the UK, but accepting the older Michelins or splitting the order up between the UK & US. They are very similar freight costs. Thanks for the info. Who fitted them for you?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca,

We are expecting some 'Carrera Cam' of your experiences on the Targa Tour.........

Daily photos and updates please - though I expect you will be shattered at the end of each day and want to go to sleep after dinner.............

Drive safely mate (and have fun)................
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Yes Macca, have a blast and I will see you at the start of SS3 tomorrow...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Pretty interesting report in today's rags re the planned Puke upgrade. Don't know how they plan to go to add 3 more corners on the back straight prior to the hairpin. Looks like they are adding approx 70m to track length so more than just a chicane! Looking at an aerial shot of the track I'm struggling to see how they could get anything significant in without compromising the horseracing on the infield?

Something else for you to look forward to Sean!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...e-ahead-of-V8s
Seems like madness to me... $6.6m on 70m of track length? Seems like the upgrades are focused on facilities and hospitality options and that's where most of the 6.6 is going. Obviously important for the sponsors but is the track really going to be any better to drive/ race?

Can't wait to hear what the pros have to say about the track off the record...

Of course I'll try it myself though! lol
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul/Sean. Thanks for the well wishes guys. Just got home after completing registration and scrutineer. Wife is working through the route book as we speak! 4.30 am wake up call tomorrow for a 6.30 am debrief. I suspect you wont be hearing much from me in the next few days. It will be a big learning curve. Had a practice run in the pouring rain with 9 other cars yesterday. It was a good experience...

Sean. See you tomorrow SS3!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Hope all is going well Mark and you are having a ball.

Have just been on the Targa website trying to get timings for the Havelock North finish Friday and start/finish on Saturday with no luck.

I will get in touch with RS ZWEI tomorrow and see if Nick knows more and hope to catch up with you over the weekend.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Here is a pic of Mark from today:

Name:  DSCF1267_zps7b95aa20.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  264.8 KB

I heard from him on the first day, sounded like he was loving it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?