Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I hate to correct you but it looks like I ended up 5th overall

Amazing result given the cars there today - you are now officially on the slippery slope - classic trials next............
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents, I need some help finding a good tyre guy in Auckland. My Work wheels have arrived and I need the RE55s fitted without any dramas.

See you around the traps soon. Have 4 track days booked and the xmas lunch...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Gents, I need some help finding a good tyre guy in Auckland. My Work wheels have arrived and I need the RE55s fitted without any dramas.

Talk to the Bridgestone dealer at the Strand Parnell, ask for the Porsche Club discount. As Bridgestone no longer sponsor the racing series (previously the Bridgestone series) the discount may not be as huge anymore.

I deal with a guy called Ash Ph 303 1260, but anyone can help.

Which 4 days are you booked for - I might see you around.......
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Talk to the Bridgestone dealer at the Strand Parnell, ask for the Porsche Club discount. As Bridgestone no longer sponsor the racing series (previously the Bridgestone series) the discount may not be as huge anymore.

I deal with a guy called Ash Ph 303 1260, but anyone can help.

Which 4 days are you booked for - I might see you around.......
Thanks, I will check them out. I have the rubber I just need them fitted without ruining my nice new 3 piece wheels. Given they're 10" rears there'll be some stretch.

Booked in for twilight on the 31st at HD. Puke on Nov 2nd. HD on Nov 17 and Dec 1. Hope to see you!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

So you've repatriated?

Not sure whether you have the tyres already or not. If it's the former, I'd be interested in hearing suggestions where to get self-bought tyres fitted.

I bought S02s years ago and went to a place in Newmarket to get them fitted. The shop owner [Marshalls?] told me to **** off, literally. In the end I gave them to Contis when it was having a service and they had them fitted.

Looking at getting Michelins for the 996TT and it appears buying locally is funding someone's caviar lifestyle, so prefer to buy offshore and fit locally.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A google search shows that Hyper Tyres in Penrose charge $30 to fit and balance tyres purchased elsewhere. With NZ bought Michelin rears costing $970 pre fitting as compared to an expected landed cost ex UK of $600 there are big savings to be made.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I couldn't agree more. Tyre prices in NZ are a joke. I wonder what the track day semi slick of choice will be now the RE55s aren't discounted heavily. I'm guessing R888s, not that they are much cheaper at retail in NZ. Will have to start that homework once this set run out.

I have heard mixed reviews on Hyper, both on pricing and workmanship but I will definitely stop in and see them. I think my best bet now is to give them to Steve at EP to do since I'm headed down there anyway. I doubt I'll care as much the second time around once they've seen track time and have brake dust baked on them- lol

Yup have moved home finally. Parents aren't getting younger and am hoping to have less hours and more of a life. Paycut not withstanding of course.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

actually, I'm sure we could work out a group buy deal including shipping savings with Tirerack if some were interested. They are a forum sponsor and will ship to NZ last time I checked. Just a thought...
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yup have moved home finally. Parents aren't getting younger and am hoping to have less hours and more of a life. Paycut not withstanding of course.
It's a decision most expats face at some time. I've missed so many family events I'll never catch up on. Fingers crossed I'll be home by Christmas and doing more with the cars than posting about them.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

actually, I'm sure we could work out a group buy deal including shipping savings with Tirerack if some were interested. They are a forum sponsor and will ship to NZ last time I checked. Just a thought...
The last quote I had for shipping was GBP 275 for a set of four from the UK. The seller is ok with worldwide shipping. Do Tirerack get that? I find that many US companies are not overly interested in overseas orders.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I couldn't agree more. Tyre prices in NZ are a joke. I wonder what the track day semi slick of choice will be now the RE55s aren't discounted heavily. I'm guessing R888s, not that they are much cheaper at retail in NZ. Will have to start that homework once this set run out.
I see Steve from EP runs Toyo 888's.

Talking to a couple people at the track I understand the RE55s are about a second quicker than 888's. I can't personally confirm this as I haven't run both.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Hmmm. Perhaps if I ask nicely he'll let me run them on my car in back to back sessions at HD. Once I get good enough to notice the tyres that is, in a few years. Or maybe we can just time him, might be better. Haha.

Looks like 9M in the UK fit the 888s to their customers cars too so they must be ok.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
The last quote I had for shipping was GBP 275 for a set of four from the UK. The seller is ok with worldwide shipping. Do Tirerack get that? I find that many US companies are not overly interested in overseas orders.
I spoke to them about some Work wheels when i was looking for rims and they were cool with it. Let me see if I can dig out the email with the price...
Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Guys. A few of us on here order our tyres from Tirerack.com. They now ship to NZ. $500 usd for 4 day service. Graham just landed the new Michelin Pilot Sports for his GT3 (now sold) for around $2400 nzd landed including freight and GST. These retail over $3600 with discounts in NZ. Another lister got a full set of Corsas for 2300 nzd landed. Its about 30% saving and arrives much quicker than many NZ dealers can even get the tyres in. FYI thats all but Tirerack are now growing their export business so service is excellent in this regard....
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Guys. A few of us on here order our tyres from Tirerack.com. They now ship to NZ. $500 usd for 4 day service. Graham just landed the new Michelin Pilot Sports for his GT3 (now sold) for around $2400 nzd landed including freight and GST. These retail over $3600 with discounts in NZ. Another lister got a full set of Corsas for 2300 nzd landed. Its about 30% saving and arrives much quicker than many NZ dealers can even get the tyres in. FYI thats all but Tirerack are now growing their export business so service is excellent in this regard....
Cheers Macca...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?