Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jake is right stay away from ethanol based fuels with the older cars like 964 etc. I was having this conversation with a PAG employee in Germany only three weeks ago.

Stay away from octane boosters too. Mostly they do nothing some may even harm your engine at temperature (track).
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive driven all those roads Doug and confess there are some gear drives there. The drive up in the dark wont be a whole lotta fun but the 7 hr trip the next day (probably more like 5.45-6 with Doug in lead) will be epic.... On the Bluff end how much further is that than Teteronga? We drive 2 hrs from Queenstown to do Teteronga, 6-7 hrs at the track then 2 hours back to Queens-town straight after. Are you able to tack it on?
74km return. I'll look to miss one of the sessions and do it during the day. I may be a bit distracted that day, as my paternal family has a strong history in Invercargill, since 1874. I will likely do a recce of some sites as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that I was a willing participant, but in the Midwest US it's become very hard to find non-ethanol fuel. Depending on the state they don't even disclose it. Usually 10% blend. I've run it in my 964 four years in all conditions no issues as far as I can tell. Would be interesting if Dan tears it down some day to see. Would I avoid it if I could? Yep - I reckon a safer choice in the end.

So - I couldn't/can't come along on the SITT but how do I arrange to tag along on this north island component that's being discussed?? Sounds fun

Hey John - up for another joiner on Sunday? Let me know what to bring!

C
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
74km return. I'll look to miss one of the sessions and do it during the day. I may be a bit distracted that day, as my paternal family has a strong history in Invercargill, since 1874. I will likely do a recce of some sites as well.
Yes I guess its unfortunate John. But we are all friends here so we understand. Its better to kill every skeleton n the closet you can while you are down there LOL! John has history in the Far North and yourself in the Far South. I can see a movie coming up....
Old 12-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Not that I was a willing participant, but in the Midwest US it's become very hard to find non-ethanol fuel. Depending on the state they don't even disclose it. Usually 10% blend. I've run it in my 964 four years in all conditions no issues as far as I can tell. Would be interesting if Dan tears it down some day to see. Would I avoid it if I could? Yep - I reckon a safer choice in the end.

So - I couldn't/can't come along on the SITT but how do I arrange to tag along on this north island component that's being discussed?? Sounds fun

Hey John - up for another joiner on Sunday? Let me know what to bring!

C
Chris, Id love to see you there mate? Sunday 5th Johns pad, not sure we have a time. John will advise...
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone brave enough to join us for that Northern leg is most welcome. You may only qualify for half of the T-Shirt tho LOL.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I'll join you on finding the Southern most part of Bluff John, then head to the track.... maybe we head off early that morning to give us a bit more time down there. Anyway, we have plenty of time to sort out those finer details.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Anyone brave enough to join us for that Northern leg is most welcome. You may only qualify for half of the T-Shirt tho LOL.
I shudder to think if it'll be armless or like this...
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Ive driven all those roads Doug and confess there are some gear drives there. The drive up in the dark wont be a whole lotta fun but the 7 hr trip the next day (probably more like 5.45-6 with Doug in lead) will be epic....
I lived my first 20 years in the Maungakahia Valley...... I've driven most of these roads (until the Twin Bridges) hundreds of times day and night. I like it in the dark as you can spot oncoming traffic well ahead and with GPS (plus local knowledge) you can see what's coming up in terms of tight corners and the like.

It will be a spirited drive but safe. I'm not that crazy and prefer to feel the car through the twisties than experience very high speed straights. You never know when a farmbike, dog, cow, tractor or the like is going to swing out onto the road in front of you so I try to remain sensible.

I'll never forget coming across a group of black cattle at 70 mph in my Fiat 125 on SH1 between Cheviot and Kaikoura with 4 x 20 year old students in the car heading home to Auckland/Northland for our holidays (their was an airline pilots strike on so we drove). We swerved through them and it was shear good luck that we didn't hit one. If we had at least one of us would have been killed for sure. I'll never forget that.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris, Id love to see you there mate? Sunday 5th Johns pad, not sure we have a time. John will advise...
Absolutely welcome. I'll send details by PM. 11:30 start seems about right. Have you got your car yet?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Just spent the day cleaning the garage so I could get all three cars back in there. Driving these back to back has strengthened my love of the C4. It now fits me like a glove. Everything is as I want it. 7 hours will be a doddle, even if I follow the Dougster the whole way.
That's the spirit John. And the way you performed in the C4 at the last track day there won't be any waiting up necessary :-D
Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I shudder to think if it'll be armless or like this...
LOL!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Default Cape Reinga to Bluff

While this is not the exact route (the exact route is more convoluted and more interesting) here's an overview of our new mission to run alongside the SITT
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Hard to believe we're on the cusp of a New Year. 2013 brought some great Porsche times and 2014 is shaping up to be even better. Only 11 weeks to the SITT and an epic drive is planned. Another tick on the bucket list.

The media often run predictions for the New Year. Anyone want to share some Porsche ones for 2014?

Will Peter M get his engine back together? If so, will he push it on the Track?
Will Peter H walk past the '44 and bring the Cayman S to Playdays?
Will Doug and Chris B succumb to air-cooled fever?
Will Dave get his hot rod? If so, will he retire the camo cap and give back all of those seconds?
Will Michael ever announce the arrival of his child? Equally importantly, will he make it back to the Track?
Will Paul sell the C3, track the 993, buy a race car and/or finish his house?
Will Macca get Jo back in a car with him for more than a few hundred km? Will the GT3 and 993 co-exist for long?
Will Neil and Jason keep away from walls?
Will I break 1:20 at HD, in the C4?
Will there still be 3 cars in my garage?
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great email John! You got me spot on and I reckon the others too!

I'm currently in departures at Zurich awaiting a flight to HK. Kissed the GT3 goodbye for 10 weeks after a brillant 4 weeks exploring Europe. We arrive 7pm on the 31st just in time for the big fireworks display on Victoria harbour. They say a HK NY is something special.

Looking forward to catching up with you all on 5th 1130. Ill bring a hard drive with footage and pics.

In the meantime as ill be in the air for yours have a Happy New Years guys and may all your 014 porsche wishes come true!
Special good vibes for Michael mum and new bubs!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?