Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
John, unfortunately I can't make it, racing at Taupo this weekend with Porsche and GTRNZ series. Shame as I would love to see the 993's and here more about Macca's trip and the GT3
Ok, we'll accept that as an excuse. Are we still on to rummage through the tyre pile after you get back?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyres, you say?

Decals arrived, will distribute them next time I see people. Got a couple of spare HD decals, so have set one aside for Michael since he indicated interest and then opted out when I ran out initially.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Tyres, you say? Decals arrived, will distribute them next time I see people. Got a couple of spare HD decals, so have set one aside for Michael since he indicated interest and then opted out when I ran out initially.
Matt, yes we're on a hunt for track tyres discarded by racers, hopefully still of use for our playdays. Not sure what the selection is like. Probably not matched sets of near new, but you never know. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Good to hear the decals have arrived. My race numbers and driver name decal can't be far away. How much do we owe you for the HD decals?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, I see Ron's run starts on Sunday, 16th from Auckland. The only way this would work for me is to drive to Kaitaia on the night of Friday, 14 March, the knock off Cape Reinga first thing on Saturday and carry straight back to Auckland. I'm still keen, but I'll understand if it doesn't fit your preferred driving style. My motivation is bucket list more than anything.
We'll make it work. I can sneak off on Friday. Can you take the afternoon off? I'm keen to go up one coast and back the other. Being from Northland I know some brilliant roads which get us there and back without taking much longer than boring old SH1. Will do some map research and timing analysis soon as I can get some time on my laptop later today.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
We'll make it work. I can sneak off on Friday. Can you take the afternoon off? I'm keen to go up one coast and back the other. Being from Northland I know some brilliant roads which get us there and back without taking much longer than boring old SH1. Will do some map research and timing analysis soon as I can get some time on my laptop later today.
That whole SITT period I'm supposed to be team leading a job, so I've pushed back at every suggestion I don't take the full two weeks. Therefore, unfortunately, even trying to leave a couple of hours early is out of the question if I want to return to my job!

Might have to pad my semi race seats as I'm going to be in them a lot for those two weeks, and most especially the first few days.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:33 PM
O2GO
Drifting

That whole SITT period I'm supposed to be team leading a job, so I've pushed back at every suggestion I don't take the full two weeks. Therefore, unfortunately, even trying to leave a couple of hours early is out of the question if I want to return to my job!
Gotya, we'll plan on working with leaving after work Friday night then.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Matt, yes we're on a hunt for track tyres discarded by racers, hopefully still of use for our playdays. Not sure what the selection is like. Probably not matched sets of near new, but you never know. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Good to hear the decals have arrived. My race numbers and driver name decal can't be far away. How much do we owe you for the HD decals?
Yes, target is to go in to International Motorsport on 7 January. The tyres are off Ian Hayrs GT3, all partially used tyres left over when the race series changed rules on tyres. So all sets of tyres including Yokohama, Dunlop and Bridgestone and a mix of medium and hard r compound. There are at least 2 sets of almost new Bridgestone RE11s hard compound which could be good for moderate track work and touring.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Default Cape Reinga start to SITT

John, I've updated the itinerary to allow the Cape Reinga start and have suggested a couple of routes up and down that have a little variation and take us through the wonderful Maungakahia Valley - one of NZ's top drives. These variations adda bout half an hour each way but well worth it vs SH1.

Day 2: Kaitaia-CapeReinga-Auckland is a biggie but I've done 7 hours trips north plus put in 2-3 hours work in the middle of it before :-). Will need an early start.

Here are my suggestions (see maps):

1. Auckland to Kaitaia. SH12 to Wellsford, then Maungakahia Valley (just prior to Whangarei) to Kaikohe, then on to Kaitaia.

2. Early sprint from Kaitaia to Cape Reinga, then back via Kaikohe, Maungakahia Valley, Dargaville and back down through Maungaroto and joining up to SH1 at the Brynderwins for a standard run back to Auckland on cruise control.
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, I've updated the itinerary to allow the Cape Reinga start and have suggested a couple of routes up and down that have a little variation and take us through the wonderful Maungakahia Valley - one of NZ's top drives. These variations adda bout half an hour each way but well worth it vs SH1. Day 2: Kaitaia-CapeReinga-Auckland is a biggie but I've done 7 hours trips north plus put in 2-3 hours work in the middle of it before :-). Will need an early start. Here are my suggestions (see maps): 1. Auckland to Kaitaia. SH12 to Wellsford, then Maungakahia Valley (just prior to Whangarei) to Kaikohe, then on to Kaitaia. 2. Early sprint from Kaitaia to Cape Reinga, then back via Kaikohe, Maungakahia Valley, Dargaville and back down through Maungaroto and joining up to SH1 at the Brynderwins for a standard run back to Auckland on cruise control.
Doug, thanks - this is going to be epic. You will end up doing 5,500 km, compared to my 4,500 km. Do we have to check for 98 availability up North?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, thanks - this is going to be epic. You will end up doing 5,500 km, compared to my 4,500 km. Do we have to check for 98 availability up North?
There is only one 98 gas station that I know of in Northland and that's the Gull at Whangarei (and it's only 2 hours into the trip plus we're not going through Whangarei on my itinerary) the rest is 95 octane to my knowledge. Maybe Pete can chime in. I've not had a problem with 95 in my Cayenne in Northland over many years nor my Boxsters. Is 95 a problem for the 964?

My understanding is if the knock sensors in the engine sense pre-ignition, they'll automatically adjust the timing accordingly... And that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject :-)
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Should take into account the Biofuel Ethanol mix in Gull 98 - from what I understand it's fine for modern cars (I still avoid it TBH) but the older engine may not appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

7 hours in race seats chasing Doug through northland? John you are brave lol!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

There is only one 98 gas station that I know of in Northland and that's the Gull at Whangarei (and it's only 2 hours into the trip plus we're not going through Whangarei on my itinerary) the rest is 95 octane to my knowledge. Maybe Pete can chime in. I've not had a problem with 95 in my Cayenne in Northland over many years nor my Boxsters. Is 95 a problem for the 964? My understanding is if the knock sensors in the engine sense pre-ignition, they'll automatically adjust the timing accordingly... And that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject :-)
I can run on 95. You're correct the engine will adapt timing if it senses knocking. Maybe I could look at an octane booster to keep up with you if it becomes an issue?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive driven all those roads Doug and confess there are some gear drives there. The drive up in the dark wont be a whole lotta fun but the 7 hr trip the next day (probably more like 5.45-6 with Doug in lead) will be epic....

On the Bluff end how much further is that than Teteronga? We drive 2 hrs from Queenstown to do Teteronga, 6-7 hrs at the track then 2 hours back to Queens-town straight after. Are you able to tack it on?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
7 hours in race seats chasing Doug through northland? John you are brave lol!
Just spent the day cleaning the garage so I could get all three cars back in there. Driving these back to back has strengthened my love of the C4. It now fits me like a glove. Everything is as I want it. 7 hours will be a doddle, even if I follow the Dougster the whole way.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?