Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

John McM 12-23-2013 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul, dropped into CCS to set a time for the C4 WOF and saw your car in the car park. Looks very lonely. Has it failed its first purpose as family transport ;)

O2GO 12-23-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 10999073)
If I end up with one 911, which will happen one day, it will be the C4, eventually being backdated. Maybe it's better to do it the way Dave is looking, but I've sunk too much into the C4 to go that way, plus I like the way it drives, G50 and all. You have the luxury of driving a few Gruppe cars to refine your thoughts and you have time.

Now there's a thought. I find much of the fun of thinking about another p-car is the research, talking about it, searching and pondering. Singer start off with a 964 as their starting point then begin the backdating (carbon panels/interrior) and post dating 993 6 speed gearbox etc.

So your thoughts of backdating your C4 sounds very wise. And as you say, you have invested a lot in it and know it's history in detail.

Maxem 12-23-2013 09:18 PM

The long hood dilemma, time to chime in with my 2c. I'm a serial car swapper. Had more than 50, couldn't even name them all now. Lately though, the family cars have hung around a bit longer, like 2 years and I can see this extending as the changeover gets tiring. My 911 experiences have been mixed to date. The 993 was everything I could ever want but somehow it couldn't stay. Possibly because it was too good to drive. At 11 years old and 24000 k's, no paint or dings, still with crankcase wax present, there was no way I could ruin that. I'm a bit envious of Paul in this regard in that his can be used and the absolute top end value that mine had won't be destroyed. The '64 is great but I've had my fun there and now it sits between RSG days. Not suitable for daily work as is. Still, it's a great car, but wasn't going to be the "one".
So the long hood. Potentially less useable than the '64 but somehow I have a good feeling that it might be OK. With the right setup and a totally fresh chassis, engine and box, plus the famous 911 ride it might just make it. I don't want a track hack but it must be at least capable. Will this be the "one". Jeez, if it isn't there will be trouble. I like the romantic notion that I would have a special car forever and we would be best mates and I'd pass it on but my ownership history is shaky at best. Would love a GT3 but is it a DD? No. Normal 997? Nice but another BM or E63 would probably win out over that. A 993? Yes, maybe but been there and it doesn't have the view down the hood. I believe what I am after is a 911 experience not yet properly delivered. A beautiful long hood, strong engine, row your boat gearshift, open plan floor, light and airy trim, lithe and agile and 100% reliable. This could be all wrong and misguided and maybe not even possible and the experiment could fail. 50 plus cars suggests the fun is only in the chase but a long hood might be different, I hope. Got to be done.

John McM 12-23-2013 10:51 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Before and after. Not exactly one of those infomercial results but I don't want to compromise CCS for the WOF check. I think my Z221s are close to illegal for the road

John McM 12-23-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maxem (Post 10999176)
The long hood dilemma, time to chime in with my 2c. I'm a serial car swapper. Had more than 50, couldn't even name them all now. Lately though, the family cars have hung around a bit longer, like 2 years and I can see this extending as the changeover gets tiring. My 911 experiences have been mixed to date. The 993 was everything I could ever want but somehow it couldn't stay. Possibly because it was too good to drive. At 11 years old and 24000 k's, no paint or dings, still with crankcase wax present, there was no way I could ruin that. I'm a bit envious of Paul in this regard in that his can be used and the absolute top end value that mine had won't be destroyed. The '64 is great but I've had my fun there and now it sits between RSG days. Not suitable for daily work as is. Still, it's a great car, but wasn't going to be the "one". So the long hood. Potentially less useable than the '64 but somehow I have a good feeling that it might be OK. With the right setup and a totally fresh chassis, engine and box, plus the famous 911 ride it might just make it. I don't want a track hack but it must be at least capable. Will this be the "one". Jeez, if it isn't there will be trouble. I like the romantic notion that I would have a special car forever and we would be best mates and I'd pass it on but my ownership history is shaky at best. Would love a GT3 but is it a DD? No. Normal 997? Nice but another BM or E63 would probably win out over that. A 993? Yes, maybe but been there and it doesn't have the view down the hood. I believe what I am after is a 911 experience not yet properly delivered. A beautiful long hood, strong engine, row your boat gearshift, open plan floor, light and airy trim, lithe and agile and 100% reliable. This could be all wrong and misguided and maybe not even possible and the experiment could fail. 50 plus cars suggests the fun is only in the chase but a long hood might be different, I hope. Got to be done.

Dave, I can picture that car in my mind. It will be THE Car. Steve is the one to build it for you. The only struggle may be agreeing who's vision will be in the small details as you can't be there every five minutes for the decisions. Look forward to following the build. I'll have a look at the base car when I get my seat fitted.

O2GO 12-24-2013 12:20 AM

50. Holy sh%t. I'm only on number 13 excluding my better half and the kids drives (that yours truly owns). My Fiat 125 during the uni years lasted 7 years and I still have the Cayenne S after 8. Fingers crossed this will be the one :-)

gt38088 12-24-2013 02:09 AM

lost wireless as was posting this so hope it isn't posted twice.

Thanks Macca, when I dig deep, the real urge is to also own a rebuilt air cooled long hood hot rod..... for special occasions, track days, and just fun to own and drive. Lots to keep thinking about and researching.

The long hood dilemma, time to chime in with my 2c. I'm a serial car swapper. Had more than 50, couldn't even name them all now. Lately though, the family cars have hung around a bit longer, like 2 years and I can see this extending as the changeover gets tiring. My 911 experiences have been mixed to date. The 993 was everything I could ever want but somehow it couldn't stay. Possibly because it was too good to drive. At 11 years old and 24000 k's, no paint or dings, still with crankcase wax present, there was no way I could ruin that. I'm a bit envious of Paul in this regard in that his can be used and the absolute top end value that mine had won't be destroyed. The '64 is great but I've had my fun there and now it sits between RSG days. Not suitable for daily work as is. Still, it's a great car, but wasn't going to be the "one".
So the long hood. Potentially less useable than the '64 but somehow I have a good feeling that it might be OK. With the right setup and a totally fresh chassis, engine and box, plus the famous 911 ride it might just make it. I don't want a track hack but it must be at least capable. Will this be the "one". Jeez, if it isn't there will be trouble. I like the romantic notion that I would have a special car forever and we would be best mates and I'd pass it on but my ownership history is shaky at best. Would love a GT3 but is it a DD? No. Normal 997? Nice but another BM or E63 would probably win out over that. A 993? Yes, maybe but been there and it doesn't have the view down the hood. I believe what I am after is a 911 experience not yet properly delivered. A beautiful long hood, strong engine, row your boat gearshift, open plan floor, light and airy trim, lithe and agile and 100% reliable. This could be all wrong and misguided and maybe not even possible and the experiment could fail. 50 plus cars suggests the fun is only in the chase but a long hood might be different, I hope. Got to be done.
well long bonnet or not? I have spent my $ and don't regret anything but you have to be realistic as to use. If a gt3 isn't a DD then almost certainly a long bonnet will get wearisome after a while too. My thoughts - the plusses
1) an old car needs to be done well so start with a realistic budget otherwise there will be disappointment.
2) the drive I find great tho I haven't pushed the boundaries yet. the lightness (1000kg) and narrow tyres (period size 215 but modern compound on the back) mean the balance is felt straight away without having to drive the nuts off it on the road like you would a modern car on 265-305 sizes and much lower profiles. No power steer gives more weight and feel too.
3) Most ppl consider the 915 gearbox the weakness in these cars. The shift length is certainly longer by far even with a factory short shift kit. Mine has no Wevo parts but once on the move the shift is great. Far better than many others I have driven. So you have to get the box and linkages set up by someone that knows these things. The only thing is occasionally hard to find first straight away but that may be a familiarity thing.
4) Its a 40+ year old car but doesn't feel it. Again it has to be done well. Otherwise compared to a modern car you will knit pick the faults every time you drive it. The shut lines are good and the doors shut with that beautiful thunk.
5) if you want a DD then consider a backdate using EFI/motoric like the Autohaus Hamilton car discussed a while back on this thread. Easier to maintain and keep in tune. My motor is a little extreme but not hard to drive. Just a little shunty below 2k revs but the upside is it climbs up onto the cam at 5k too.
6) There is no doubt that the appreciation of these 'classics' is broadening and deepening. A good T commands big money now and members of the public off the street look at these cars in a different way to a modern car.
7) I can imagine keeping this car for a long time.
and the minuses
1) Do I add any more modern conveniences - aircond (adds weight) sound system (adds weight) or keep it period
2) noisy - tho part of that is the motor/exhaust spec. Could add sound deadening (adds weight)
3) Not a DD really - back date an EFI/motronic and add sound and air

Doug I had a Boxster S DD like yours If you can keep it. Its a completely different experience top up/down at the push of a button. Might need to get one back one day - Ruf 3.8 anyone?

O2GO 12-24-2013 02:31 AM

Thanks for the pros/cons. I'm definantly keeping the Boxster S until 981s become reasonably priced. I had the manual one from CCS for a weekend several months ago before deciding it was way too much money (well too much depreciation coming up actually) and it was amazing. As a DD and touring car with hood up/down like you say at the push of a button takes some beating. But i want an old p-car too :-)

Macca 12-24-2013 03:32 AM

I believe what I am after is a 911 experience not yet properly delivered. A beautiful long hood, strong engine, row your boat gearshift, open plan floor, light and airy trim, lithe and agile and 100% reliable.

Dave. This sounds like the perfect brief - love it!!!!

John. I cant believe you are still on your first set of 221s. How many track days have those seen now? 10? Surely they must be heat cycled out. Maybe thats where your time is going after lap 1 session 1? Just a thought. Outside edges definitely wear harder (now a completely different shape) on the C4, maybe dial in some extra negative camber to get wear over a wider contact patch?

John McM 12-24-2013 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10999726)
John. I cant believe you are still on your first set of 221s. How many track days have those seen now? 10? Surely they must be heat cycled out. Maybe thats where your time is going after lap 1 session 1? Just a thought. Outside edges definitely wear harder (now a completely different shape) on the C4, maybe dial in some extra negative camber to get wear over a wider contact patch?

11 in total = 8 playdays and three regularity trials. 4,000 km in total so far. I love these tyres, but yes they may be heat cycling out. Not sure that's my issue though. I think I already have maximum negative camber on stock suspension so the edge wear is as good as it gets. I remember Sean writing about left outside wear at HD. I've certainly got that.

Last Friday I checked the thermostat on my commute. All good, it opened correctly.

This Friday I'm off to Pirongia. Custom seat mount for the RSR seat (I'll finally have two seats), harness bar and lap belt mounts. I'll also check the IAT on the way.

O2GO 12-24-2013 04:14 AM

Ive also got left front outside half of the tyre now virtually bald. Left rear 2.5mm, rh front and rear have 3.5mm left. Hampton Downs has this reputation. Mine are R888's and i think i have had about 9 track days on them so far.

Macca 12-24-2013 04:33 AM

Hi John. The inside shoulders look quite square compared to the outsides. Id say they are pretty close to being finished. 11 track days is a great run, Ive got 2 track days and 2000km touring on mine including two Ron Sunday runs and they are pretty much half lifed.

The IAT is nothing to do with the oiling temperature system. IAT is all about flow of air into the intake manifold via the airbox. Your thermostat is fine, that's good, but the oil temp doesnt affect your cars performance per se - however is your IATs are 40-50% higher than they should be because you arent getting airflow into the airbox at lower speeds then this will impact your combustion efficiency and your over by 5-10% without doubt...you need to measure IAT on the move, in traffic and at motorway speeds. Steve can give you his view on this, but I dont think its normal to be loosing 3-4 seconds a day from morning to evening all other circumstances the same (especially how consistent you look given the video you posted and experience with HD you have). Maybe your scan tool can measure IAT on the run via 19 pin OBD1 connector?

John McM 12-24-2013 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10999775)
Hi John. The inside shoulders look quite square compared to the outsides. Id say they are pretty close to being finished. 11 track days is a great run, Ive got 2 track days and 2000km touring on mine including two Ron Sunday runs and they are pretty much half lifed. The IAT is nothing to do with the oiling temperature system. IAT is all about flow of air into the intake manifold via the airbox. Your thermostat is fine, that's good, but the oil temp doesnt affect your cars performance per se - however is your IATs are 40-50% higher than they should be because you arent getting airflow into the airbox at lower speeds then this will impact your combustion efficiency and your over by 5-10% without doubt...you need to measure IAT on the move, in traffic and at motorway speeds. Steve can give you his view on this, but I dont think its normal to be loosing 3-4 seconds a day from morning to evening all other circumstances the same (especially how consistent you look given the video you posted and experience with HD you have). Maybe your scan tool can measure IAT on the run via 19 pin OBD1 connector?

I wanted to eliminate oil over heating from the mix, just to make sure. It looks fine. Yes IAT is what I need to measure next. My Scantool should be able to do that on the move, just need to record it. I gather I measure ambient temp off the car's gauge? Agree that Steve is the person to ask. Given he built a race car with the same tail, he should know what's what.

Maxem 12-24-2013 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 10999524)
50. Holy sh%t. I'm only on number 13 excluding my better half and the kids drives (that yours truly owns). My Fiat 125 during the uni years lasted 7 years and I still have the Cayenne S after 8. Fingers crossed this will be the one :-)

Sounds like a lot but that only averages under 2 a year. Could be 60. The 7 BMW's have been great and I will definitely get another, the 7 MX5's looking back were a bit girly but man they were fun, the 4 WRX's were stunning at the time (before boy racers got them) the multiple Alfa's and fiat's took a strong will, especially the recently despatched 159, the 2 citroen AX's were incredible - speed bumps at full speed no problem, the AX11 was more fun than the AXGT, the 2 Golf's had lots of $500 problems, the beetles were characters but gutless, and when I needed a break in between the dramas I got a Honda or Toyota. I should have kept a list of them all.

nzskater 12-24-2013 05:39 AM

My current car is the second car I've owned...