Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Fascinating story to follow here, guys, thanks for the updates.

My Megane won't go beyond the generic map it has now (Superchips Bluefin), which I'm very happy with.
No need for another track toy, in fact considering selling it, as it was bought as a daily driver, but have just had to replace my Amarok due to an engine bay fire writing it off (bird's nest).
Have replaced it with a Touareg and finding that it's a very enjoyable commuting car, and I have 3 other performance toys in the shed (not counting the race car) to satisfy my driving thrill-seeking.

It's 2 years old with 23,000kms - open to high offers!

Cheers
Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 PM
Audidude
Racer

Fascinating story to follow here, guys, thanks for the updates.

My Megane won't go beyond the generic map it has now (Superchips Bluefin), which I'm very happy with.
No need for another track toy, in fact considering selling it, as it was bought as a daily driver, but have just had to replace my Amarok due to an engine bay fire writing it off (bird's nest).
Have replaced it with a Touareg and finding that it's a very enjoyable commuting car, and I have 3 other performance toys in the shed (not counting the race car) to satisfy my driving thrill-seeking.

It's 2 years old with 23,000kms - open to high offers!

Cheers
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Audidude
Racer

Sorry for double post - the webpage hung and when I clicked post it reposted the same post.
Now i can't delete the extra post despite clicking on the "Edit/Delete" icon - there is NO delete option I can find.

Am I thick??
Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a common problem unfortunately Greg. I think all you can do is edit the duplicate post down to almost nothing.

Interesting to hear about the bird's nest engine bay fire. My father-in-law was removing bird's nests daily from his ute at one point.

Are you using your 996 much?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by Obsessed
It's a common problem unfortunately Greg. I think all you can do is edit the duplicate post down to almost nothing.

Interesting to hear about the bird's nest engine bay fire. My father-in-law was removing bird's nests daily from his ute at one point.

Are you using your 996 much?
Quite a bit.
More than I intended, because it's so addictive!
Done about 4000kms since buying it 5 months ago.
About to put new PS2s on it, taking advantage of Michelin's buy 1 get 50% off 2nd one deal. Eases the pain a lot!

​​​​​​Where are you?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:23 AM
Audidude
Racer

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8bc0abefe6.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d7f5f7f4df.jpg
Seeing as non-Porsche content seems OK here, thought you might be interested in a road trip I organised last weekend from Taupo to Rotorua and back over some brilliant Targa style roads, 300kms in all, with 5 cars.

We had 3 mint Audi ur quattro 20Vs, including 2 of only 3 that were sold new in NZ. An E30 M3, and AM Vantage V8.

Probably the first time in NZ 3 RR quattros have been on the road together.

Fabulous time was had, followed by dinner at the Hilton's Bistro Lago.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0140930df4.jpg
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Greg - a lot of love for the RR here.
I'm a Christchurch man who's been living in the UK since '96 and I have a 43,000 mile RR here in dehumidified storage.
My brother, who also lives in the UK has a LHD '81 WR (Quad headlamp, Saturn Metallic, bronze glass) "B" chassis in his garage in Orewa.
The WR is on the original Fuchs magnesium wheels.
Back in the late '80's my mother ran a Charcoal Metallic NZ-new '86 WR and my father ran an Alpine White chipped ex-UK WR - so we know our way around ur-Quattros.

In December my 944 turbo is finally going into rebuild to hopefully emerge as a 450 bhp sleeper - stock interior & exterior but dry-sumped, Garrett GTX3071R Gen II turbo'ed running EMTRON KV8 ECU & fully spherically bushed suspension with Racer's Edge control arms & a Guard LSD.
As we enter the twilight days of petrol-burning IC engines - my weakness for V12's will need to be indulged.

I run a 1988 E32 750iL, in immaculate condition- and I hanker for a Mercedes bi-turbo twelve - as it's the ultimate expression if ICE development and refinement.

It's great to see someone keeping the Quattro flame burning - they come from one of the greatest in era's in motorsport - Group B & the hairy turbo days of F1.
Tim
Old 11-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Audidude
Racer

Wow, PR, that's some urq family history!
Your RR is a rarity with that mileage, and a car to cherish. Shame they are so rust prone, as they really need to be kept dry. We had some rain early on the trip home from Taupo, but about 45 minutes of dry running before garaging. My car is rust free, having been new in NZ, and well looked after by earlier owners.

The future of ICE driving is a concern, but my feeling is that the current hype around EVs is overstated, particularly in terms of time frames and true sustainability and battery issues.
Of course we're not going to be transporting ourselves in the same way in 50 years as we are now, but hopefully there will always be room for driving enthusiasts to enjoy their passion, in much the same way that horse lovers still ride horses.
Anything less would be an authoritarian nightmare of Orwellian proportions!

Last edited by Audidude; 11-22-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Formatting, typos
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Greg, at least in NZ the roads aren't salted.
The high year round humidity, salted roads, rainfall and damp garages all combine to decimate the UK car population - which the manufacturers love!
I don't want to incriminate myself but in the period before I moved to the UK the ability to use a Quattro -and I mean...really use a Quattro (Chch - Queenstown in 4 hours flat) on the South Island's relatively deserted roads was a privilege.
Alas, enforcement is now draconian & those days are long gone.
The Quattro's compliance & suspension travel make it a superb road car for NZ conditions - much more so than the stiffly sprung, short suspension travel offerings of more recent years.

That '81 of my brother's is an extremely early model - cable diff locks & wind-up windows. Interestingly the rear & centre diffs can be locked independently on those first cars. We imported that one from Luxembourg into the UK. It's owner used to bring it from Luxembourg to AM Cars in Somerset for servicing.
Tim
Old 11-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Greg, at least in NZ the roads aren't salted.
The high year round humidity, salted roads, rainfall and damp garages all combine to decimate the UK car population - which the manufacturers love!
I don't want to incriminate myself but in the period before I moved to the UK the ability to use a Quattro -and I mean...really use a Quattro (Chch - Queenstown in 4 hours flat) on the South Island's relatively deserted roads was a privilege.
Alas, enforcement is now draconian & those days are long gone.
The Quattro's compliance & suspension travel make it a superb road car for NZ conditions - much more so than the stiffly sprung, short suspension travel offerings of more recent years.

That '81 of my brother's is an extremely early model - cable diff locks & wind-up windows. Interestingly the rear & centre diffs can be locked independently on those first cars. We imported that one from Luxembourg into the UK. It's owner used to bring it from Luxembourg to AM Cars in Somerset for servicing.
Tim
I learnt to drive in the 60s in mid-Canterbury, and the driving joy in those days when police radar was detectable from kms away.......Christchurch to Queenstown and the Haast Pass and the West Coast is some of the best driving roads anywhere - much of it a full on drive within the legal limit.
There are still plenty of rural roads away from the State Highways where you can enjoy driving a performance car with relative immunity...
Couldn't agree more about the quattro setup - compared to my Megane, it's soft and floaty, but a brilliant compromise between refined touring and performance driving - the driver of the M3 on our road trip commented on the body roll in the quattros, but we still managed to exit the corners quicker and pull away...his corner entry speed was better of course.
When I get the time, I'll put together a video from the weekend.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 PM
cbnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my dad sold cars for Gilly we had a white 20V home a few times, so I imagine that is is this one? The engine sound when driving it was something to listen to. Brings back great memories, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by cbnz
When my dad sold cars for Gilly we had a white 20V home a few times, so I imagine that is is this one? The engine sound when driving it was something to listen to. Brings back great memories, thanks for sharing.
No, this one is a UK import, but been here most of its life. If the one you are referring to was the white NZ new 20V, it's just recently been sold, but don't know who the new owner is.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude
Quite a bit.
More than I intended, because it's so addictive!
Done about 4000kms since buying it 5 months ago.
About to put new PS2s on it, taking advantage of Michelin's buy 1 get 50% off 2nd one deal. Eases the pain a lot!

​​​​​​Where are you?
Great stuff, that's some good mileage.

I'm in Hamilton. Do you work at the hospital?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:28 AM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Great stuff, that's some good mileage.

I'm in Hamilton. Do you work at the hospital?
Yes. Waikato Hospital. You?
Old 11-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Hi Greg,

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?